Lumin U2 mini released

Sorry about the delay getting back to you, we have a power cut so can’t try anything at present.
Hopefully we’ll be up and running tomorrow :crossed_fingers:t4:

@wklie Hi Peter, sorry about the delayed response, power is back, roon updated & finally I’m pretty certain that your firmware fix worked, no problems since loading it.

Many thanks.

:pray:t3:

3 Likes

Review of U2 Mini compared to U1 Mini:

2 Likes

Thanks Peter, the review pretty much agrees with the discussion I had with my dealership, post audition (& purchase). :pray:t4:

2 Likes

Hi Peter @wklie

Unfortunately the problem with the U2 power up, from Roon, is happening again.
It is the first time that it has happened in 8 days, interestingly when I try to power the U2 up the mscaler input signal lamp is off. However when I use the power switch to power the U2 off; the mscaler input lamp illuminates indicating the presence of a signal?
After the U2 power restores it boots up and work fine.

Please experiment with NOT standing by / auto-sleep in Roon. Use Lumin app Idle Sleep setting (instead) if necessary.

I did try powering up via the Lumin app which also resulted in the Blue Circle but it progressed no further. Using the physical power switch was the only fix, I will continue to observe operating power up solely from the Lumin App.

No, don’t use the power button in Lumin app. I meant only using the Idle Sleep timeout setting, don’t power it off in Lumin app, don’t power it off in Roon, don’t auto sleep.

Hi Again Peter @wklie , using the Idle Sleep Timer play resumes “normally,” I have tried 5 times so far (15 minute sleep) without problems on pressing play, in Roon.

I think what may be happening when using the on/off Roon control is that the metadata from the last played (or queued) item is not consistently displayed, only the blue circle is displayed, which gives the impression that the U2 has not started up. When pressing play the the U2 screen presents the track metadata.
So, when only the blue circle is illuminated the user is waiting for metadata to be presented as an indicator that the device is ready to play.
That theory is based on my experiences so far. :thinking:

Hi all, not sure if this is any relevance to anyone but after nearly 4 weeks with the U2 mini it is better than my previous streaming module in every way. I would highly recommend that if any of you are in the market for a new streamer then at the price point it is truly excellent and you should pop to a dealer to audition. Looking forward to getting a T3 when available for another system in the house !!!

3 Likes

I have to agree, imho the U2 is a stripped down P1 without the switching or dac but retaining the Sound Quality. I am really please with it’s performance.

1 Like

apologies if this has been asked before, but does/can the U2 mini output from USB and aes/ebu at the same time?

No.

If USB is connected, AES / BNC / coaxial / toslink outputs are disabled.

1 Like

thanks @wklie

for those with the u2 mini, any preference for usb out over the other connections? particularly interested in aes/ebu. dac is a Holo May kte. at present, im using an sotm 200 ultra streamer into a innuos phoenix usb reclocker, into the May.

Usually it’s between USB and AES. Which sounds better depends on your DAC, setup, interconnect, and preference.

I’m actually using USB (Epic USB digital audio interconnect - The Chord Company) and I’m very happy with the sound.

1 Like

I keep getting network connection problems with the U2 mini. songs get stopped halfway and I need to press Play again.

happens with Roon playback and is similar with Lumin app. when the connection drops, the U2 mini disappears from roon devices for a while and then pops back up.

the network chain is:
ethernet cable
ethernet media converter to fiber optic
Sonore Optical Module deluxe
tellurium Q Black diamond ethernet into U2 mini

I have used the above chain with an Sotm streamer and have never encountered such an issue. any ideas how to rectify it? ideally, I’d like to keep that network chain. I’m getting lovely music when it works well.

Please remove the FMC / optical modules from the chain and see if the problem disappears.

@wklie Is it ok if the U2 Mini is standing on top of an Audioquest Niagara 5000? Or are there any implications / drawbacks to be expected?

And will AES/EBU offer the same bandwidth as USB?

AES allows up to 192kHz or DSD64 (for DoP-supported AES/SPDIF DAC). USB allows up to 384kHz or DSD512 (for Linux native DSD compatible USB DAC).

If the bottom equipment is not excessively hot, it should not be a risk.

3 Likes