Luxman D-03X unidentifie

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC with ROCK

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Storage: Synology DS920+ to Intel NUC

Connected Audio Devices

Linksys Network switch to Raspberry Pi 4 as endpoint and connected to Luxman D-03X by USB

Number of Tracks in Library

50000+

Description of Issue

Hi everyone, I just got a Luxman D-03X CD Player with USB DAC, connected to my roon system and function normally with expected good SQ.
However, when I check on the Audio Setting page on ROON, I find my D-03X is unidentified and actually the whole brand Luxman is not even listed by Roon.
I am not sure if the unidentification is related to my real question here which is the "Native DSD " is not availiable on the device setup, I can only choice "convert to PCM / “DSD over PCM v1.0(DoP)” / Intial dSC method, so I just wondering if anything I can do on the setting to get the native DSD ?

Thanks

Only Roon Tested DACs and Roon Ready streamers are identified. So, it is to be expected with your Luxman D-03X. Roon queries the USB interface and usually gets the DAC capabilities that way.

Regarding DSD, DoP is encapsulating DSD over a PCM stream, but the DAC will still receive DSD (unless you apply any DSP.) Also, I believe, but can’t be certain, that the Luxman only supports native DSD with ASIO, i.e., Windows-only.

Thanks Martin for your reply, I don’t worry too much about the unidentification if this is the case.
It just showing ALSA but not ASIO, does it means the D-03X does not support Native DSD ?

Looks like it doesn’t under Linux which the Pi is. Linux in general gets poor driver support for the kernel from certain manufacturers. What is you using on the Pi?

So I guess it is because the Pi ( Ropieee) doesn’t work with D-03X for naive DSD ,
actually it was working for my former Auralica VEGA DAC

ASIO is a Windows thing. ALSA is the Linux Audio driver. Native DSD in Linux requires that device’s OS be patched for the specific DAC hardware, or hardware family.

That’s probably because it was patched for the Vega, but, not for the d-03x. That is why native DSD and linux requires a bit of research to make sure everything you are going to use works together.

You can just use a Windows Endpoint and run the D-03x ASIO driver.

Thanks for your opinion,but I think I will stick with the Pi instead of windows as endpoint for now, cause it still sound better to use “DSD over PCM v1.0” on Pi than the native DSD on windows as it generate a lot of noise from the PC,
moreover I don’t wanna start the PC everytime when I’m going to listen to music, but I will keep my Pi run in 24/7.
hope I can get a real streamer such as Lumin U2 soon for the prefect solution.

Well, I am not suggesting using a standard PC, I am a mini Windows PC for less than 200 USD, to just use an an endpoint. Load RoonBridge and the ASIO drivers, done. Like this one

I find that the benefit of native DSD far outweighs any noise issues.

2 Likes

Really considerable…

Please try setting Roon DSP Engine to upsample everything to DSD256 and see if it works with your setup using DoP. From my standpoint, whether you can play DSD256 is far more important than having native DSD.

Alternatively, instead of upsampling, you may also try the Stereo DSD256 files here:

This is an example of Lumin Luxman D-03X combo playing DSD256:

the RPi might struggle with DSD256 especially over wifi.

you might consider sending a feedback to Harry - spockfish to see if he can add the drivers needed to the Ropieee kernel in a future update. Under Ropieee GUI advanced tab down the bottom of the page - must be done with the equipment powered up on the USB port.

Thank you all for the comments, it is really helpful, I will keep using my Pi with DoP for a while and send a request to Ropieee for the compatibility with D-03X, and see how it goes.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.