Lyngdorf, RAAT and input sensitivity

Could not understand why Audirvana sounded much louder than Roon over the same UPNP input. Then discovered the input sensitivity of my Lyngdorf amp was set to +6dB. AV obeys this but Roon does not ( what is RAAT and how does it relate to UPNP). So cannot adjust Roon input in relation to other input levels without levelling everything else down. Why does Roon not recognise input sensitivity ?

Maybe because Roon just outputs digital audio streams. If I were you, I would talk to Lyngdorf if I wanted to discuss input sensitivity settings.

Setting any digital input sensitivity to +6 dB is foolish. That is digitally clipping many signals. If you require that much gain, then you have an equipment problem. You lack adequate amplifier power or loudspeaker sensitivity for your listening space and volume preferences.

AJ

3 Likes

Usually not a good idea. Remove the +6dB if possible.

2 Likes

Well, I don’t get near the 200w amp’s clipping threshold when listening.
Strange then that Lyngdorf offer up to +24dB adjustment on input levels ( no negative option).
With the amp’s logarithmic volume display, full output ( with max input) gives 200w.
-10 would yield 20w, -20, 2W and so on. I am usually just below the 2w level with my Quad 2905s (actively bi-amped with a second Lyngdorf amp below 80Hz to a pair of corner woofers).
Using an, admittedly poor, dB meter on my Ipad at 2.5m distance I am generally listening with peaks in the mid seventies dBA.

So not clipping but also obviously nowhere near peak power usage.
Not going to hurt anything at all then to reduce the +6db down to a flat 0db.
All you can gain are positive effects, like AV and Roon would be much closer level matched.

Hold on. If +6 dB digital gain, then, yes, clipping with many input signals.

We lack adequate evidence to know how Lyngdorf applies that gain. At the digital input or at a later analog preamp stage? Regardless, the gain generally is a bad idea. It is a bandage for other issues.

AJ

I think Lyngdorf does something different to what we traditionally expect.
I used to have a 2170 and to level match some inputs I was using +9 and similar.
I never heard any clipping but it’s not the best practice for sure if you don’t need to " boost" an input signal.

I don’t think +6db is correct terminology.
It’s +6 but +6 what would be my question.

Lyngdorf with digital room correction? I think that could be the elephant in the room here – pun intended. Digital room correction attenuation is by design, is necessary. If trying to recover some of that attenuation by digital gain, that is a fool’s errand. For doing so with analog preamp gain, see Kal Rubinson’s Topping Pre90 review in the current Stereophile.

AJ

The Lyngdorf amps have balanced XLR outputs. Whenever I see a ±6db change I always assume it’s related to the balanced vs. unbalanced adjustment that various components in a given chain seem to apply. Could that be the case here too?

Yes, that single ended vs balanced output level disparity could explain a lot. The specific +6 dB gain makes sense in that context – and should be applied, though not necessarily, in the analog domain.

AJ

Not using balanced connections - the 6dB setting must have been input moons ago for some reason. I have set to 0 and AV and Roon are now volume matched.
I have sent Lyngdorf questions about how input sensitivity is managed, and why these settings are ignored by Roon / RAAT. Will update here.

1 Like

Did Lyngdorf answered you?