Lyngdorf TDAI-1120

Here is an interesting new product. Roon ready streamer amp with room correction and built in riaa. Really interested to hear some real world reviews/experiences of this. Has anyone seen or even heard this already?

https://lyngdorf.com/lyngdorf-tdai-1120/

1 Like

Yes. I had the pleasure of helping out with the betatesting. It is very, very good for the price, and roomperfect seems out of this world in a lyngdorf product in that price range. Great D-class amps, very flexible output system with crossover for active subwoofers, built in limiter, individual delays for perfect timing and much more.

All of it, reports back to roon for that slick overview of the signal chain, including all the processing in the TDAI.

One other thing that surprised me was the speed that it starts playing from standby. It takes approx. 2 1/2 second from you select it as output from your streaming app to you have audio in the speakers!

1 Like

That all sounds really good. I use to own an older Lyngdorf and have to agree that their room correction is amazing.

Did actually use it with Roon?

Yes, that was the primary testing objective. So, a lot! :laughing: The certification is not totally finalised yet, so it runs in ā€œuncertifiedā€ mode when testing the beta software. But it should be very close. The 1120 should be due for release april/may to my knowledge.

Good to know. I hope the certification goes smoothly and it actually works. This looks like a perfect one box Roon solution :grinning:

There is no bugs left to my knowledge, so it will just be paperwork from here. The ROON integration is fantastic.

1 Like

Sounds great. This certainly looks like a perfect one box Roon solution. What I heard even the price should be quite reasonable. Would you happen to know can you use this as an streamer preamp to active speakers?

Will metadata be displayed on the monochrome screen?

No. Its a fixed screen. But you get all the song basic info in the lyngdorf app when roon is playing. The amp also displays in the app as well as in webinterface what bit depth and SR is being received.

This really looks like a nice piece of kit. Only thing missing in my opinion is Bluetooth transmitter for headphones. Any info on the price?

Reviving this thread a bit.
Lately I got one of these 1120ā€™s brand new after a slow production run this spring. Running fine from the app and my turntable. Since it said Roon-ready I tried a trial run of Roon on my pc as Roon-core with the main music library on a Synology NAS. Playing music locally is no problem.

Selecting the TDAI-1120 as output device is simple. Then select something to play and the problems start immediately after hitting ā€˜playā€™: output is at the maximum amplifier-level! The physical and virtual volume knobs have no effect.
In quite a panic (alarmed family members and pets in the curtains) I shut down Roon and the noise was cancelled. However the 1120 didnā€™t respond to switching channels until removing and re-adding the power to the system. Luckily no damage to speakers, persons and other properties.

Same effect from controlling the system with the app on a phone. Consulting my dealer I sent the settings of Roon and the system but they report no differences with their demo setup.

Finally I ended my trial of Roon. Perhaps I will return the system to the supplier as something might be damaged.

I have been looking at the Lyngdorf TDAi 1120 lately. It looks really interesting and it seems to be packing so much functionality. Very few reviews so far thoughā€¦ How does it sound? Clinical? Bright? balanced? I knowā€¦ it is subjective etc but still, if you can share your experience that will be great :slight_smile:
Merry Christmas by the way :christmas_tree:

Sounds like you had the unit set in theater mode on the input settings page. That would give the result you describe.

The 1120 is an absolutely brilliant piece of kit.
You have a choice of voicing, tone control & gain for each input so can play as you like. With room perfect you can also suit the amp to your room.

For the money the 1120 is an absolute bargain. I view it as an appliance. The amp just sits in a unit under the TV and needs no physical interaction at all once setup. I just use a phone or tablet for music (roon & chromecast for me) and TV control for TV volume. The 1120 auto starts on detecting signal input and shuts down after no signal for 15 mins or when TV is turned off. All these options are custom.

Lyngdorf knocked it out of the park on the 1120 for build quality, features, customisation and sound quality.

A definate 10 out of 10 for me. Killer amp.:+1:

2 Likes

Many thanks for the feedback :slight_smile: Out of curiosity, is the Lyngdorf ok with dynamics? I keep reading some reviews and other forums where it is occasionally mentioned that the Lyngdorf sound (after Room correction) is a bit less dynamic as compared to other amps. Did you find so?
Cheers

1 Like

I totally agree with @ogdens_sliced. TDAI 1120 is a gem and Room Perfect is incredible in sound enhancement. The sound balance is perfect and the musicality remarkable and the dynamics are realistic. Perfect balance between cost and quality.

2 Likes

No issues on dynamics. Iā€™m driving an old pair of Dali with it. Gives me everything I need and donā€™t feel that anything is missing. In my living room system I donā€™t get the volume past 50% and it is loud with a tight grip on the Dali.
The 1120 replaced a McIntosh 5200.
Wish Iā€™d moved the mcintosh on sooner, the 1120 is a very different amp but just does things right across the board.

Ive also tried the 1120 on a pair of Harbeth C7 in my main basement rig and very happy with what I was hearing in there too.

I did read a review where the reviewer complained of a lack of dynamics. Think he was driving a pair of Harbeth P3 with it. They are very inefficient speakers with a sensitivity of 83.5dB. So the 1120 may struggle in that area now and then.

1 Like

Fantastic to hear :slight_smile: McIntosh 5200! what a beast this is :slight_smile: I hear it has a warm-ish sound flavour.

Yes, itā€™s a nice Amp but needs a dedicated rack due to its footprint.
For a family room 2 channel Roon and TV environment the 1120 is way more suitable in terms of form and function. And as stated, its no slouch on the sound output side either.
Iā€™d take the 1120 over the 5200 in this environment all day long.

1 Like

After a bit of back and forth with my system upgrade finally settled with the TDAI-1120 and KEF LS50 Metas. Have to say that after LS50 wireless Lyngdorf is a wonderful piece of kit. User experience is on a totally different level. Everything just works and the room correction is great. One question to those who have used it longer do you have the TDAI set as renderer only or renderer and decoder or does it even make any difference?