Lyngdorf TDAI-1120

Great to hear that your happy as this is a potential setup that interests me.

I’m grabbing some KEF metas and have a list of streamers that I’d happily purchase - Naim Uniti Atom, Cambridge Audio Evo 150, the new POWERNODE from Bluesound or the TDAI-1120.

Too many choices!

I just received my TDAI-1120 a week ago, and what a lovely device. Don’t let anyone tell you that it’s a Class D amplifier. It’s digital, but not Class D. In fact, it doesn’t have an amplifier in the sense that we know them, but instead a very high-powered DAC that changes a PCM signal to a PWM signal, with the speaker jacks serving as the amplified analog output. The “TD” in TDAI-1120 stands for “totally digital,” and those speaker jacks are the first analog section of the device. (There is also an analog subwoofer output pair of low-level RCA jacks.)

The fact that the TDAI-1120 is missing nearly all the components that make up traditional amplifiers accounts for the featherweight chassis and power-sipping nature. I had it playing so loud through SVS Ultra Towers that our home’s windows were rattling, but couldn’t get my Kill-A-Watt to measure more than .25 amperes or 30 watts of power consumption. The TDAI-1120 also wouldn’t get hot. I nicknamed my Lyngdorf “Noisy Cricket” after the tiniest-but-most-powerful gun in the original “Men in Black” movie.

Beyond the technical stuff, the sound is sublime. After trying room correction software over the years from Pioneer, Yamaha, Lexicon, Anthem, and Integra, Lyngdorf’s RoomPerfect blows them all away. Other systems make your room and speakers conform to predetermined EQ curves that indeed do some correction but give all speakers a similar character (and typically hobble dynamics in the process). RoomPerfect measures the room in a completely different way, then compensates for the room in multiple domains so that your speakers play with their uniquely-designed character, their signature sound, the sound you fell in love with and paid for.

RoomPerfect also does a fantastic job of integrating one or two subwoofers with any satellites, bookshelf or floorstanding, handling all the phase issues automatically so that you don’t need a degree in rocket science or have to buy pricey bass software add-ons.

And, unlike all my experiences with the other room correction systems, the Lyngdorf doesn’t calibrate all the deep bass punch away, forcing me to crank my subwoofer gain controls post-calibration. In fact, RoomPerfect makes the bass MORE muscular and visceral, not less, while staying musical. As others have noted here, you also have a lot of control over EQ, pre- and post-calibration.

After calibration, this is the first time I’ve heard my speakers sound as good as they do at the hi-fi shows. Better, actually. The Lyngdorf has no trouble driving our reasonably efficient floorstanders; in fact, powerful transients can be startling, closer in dynamic range to real instruments than with any of our more-powerful previous amplifiers. I can’t explain where this magical device gets all that speed, but I sure can hear it.

The TDAI-1120 web interface control is a ton of fun. Find a good review that goes over the web interface, because it would take pages to describe its level of control here.

Roon is rock-solid through the Lyngdorf. Open the Roon app on my iPhone or iPad and start playing music, and the TDAI-1120 automatically springs to life, switches to the Roon input, and begins playing at my preset volume.

It’s only been a few days, but this is already my favorite amplification device of all time. I can’t stop smiling while listening to music. Makes me feel young again.

9 Likes

Great bit of information and thanks for sharing your feedback.

I have been looking at this device recently myself and wondering if it was man enough to drive my Dali Oberon 5s and sub woofer.

You make a good case for this Amp

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words. I’m not sure about the sensitivity of your Dali speakers, but maybe I can add a bit of context to help…

The sensitivity of my SVS speakers is 88dB. The speakers are in a room approximately 18 feet wide by 13 feet deep with 10-foot-tall ceilings. The sweet spot is 10.5 feet from the speakers. The Lyngdorf only has to play from 80 hertz and up, as the towers are crossed over (by the Lyngdorf) to a pair of Revel 15-inch subwoofers. The subwoofers each feature a 1000-watt RMS amplifier, so they are doing the hardest work.

With that setup, the Lyngdorf plays as loud as we could possibly listen. But I can imagine that it might struggle with inefficient speakers at full frequency range. The power spec doubles into 4 ohms, however. And, unlike inefficient conventional amplifier designs, nearly 100% of that power makes it to your speakers.

1 Like

Hi thanks for the additional information.
The Dali speakers have a sensitivity of 88 as well and a nominal impedance of 6om. The Dali sub is powered with I think 500w internal amp.

I watched a couple of YouTube reviews of this device last night and I think it is going to go on my list to hopefully test next year as the review was also glowing. I was also looking at the smaller Gato as both are Roon ready.

So much good kit coming onto the market

1 Like

I have an 1120 in our family room.
It drives an old pair of Dali Zensor 5 (88dB / 6 ohm) with ease.
Never past 50% of usable volume regardless of source and no lack of dynamics.

I also tried it in my HiFi room driving a pair of Harbeth Compact 7.
Again, no slouch and the C7 are only 86dB / 6 ohm.

The 1120 has an absolutely cracking feature set for the money and the Room Perfect software is excellent.

Highly recommended.

4 Likes

Thanks for that feedback, it might well be next year’s big purchase for me. The Room perfect seems great which is a bonus.

I just need to decide between a bigger dumber class AB Amp using MA mini-i Pro 3 or the fully integrated Lyngdorf.
I started out wanting the bigger class AB amp, but it makes sense for me to at least get this on trial when I am ready to make the purchase.

Good information, thank you all. I am also very interested in this Lyngdorf.

Those who have it did it come with remote control or did you need to order it separately?

Based on the website it looks like there is one included and an optional available for purchase

Remote control: Infrared/Bluetooth BLE
Accessories included: RoomPerfect™ microphone, Microphone stand, Microphone cable
Optional accessory: IR remote control, rack mounting kit

I got that from hear but not 100% sure if I am reading that correctly. Given that it comes with the microphone and a stand I can’t imagine that they would cheap out on the remote.

I read that somewhere that remote control is sold separately (€87). But maybe someone here verifies that. Hopefully it is good remote because only using phone or iPad would not be great…

The unit ships with 1 x 1120 and 1 x microphone, mic cable & mic stand for Room Perfect setup.
The remote is an optional extra.

I dont have the remote and in all honestly you dont need it.

I control my TV with my nVidia Shield box remote (via HDMI-Arc). Can also use regular TV remote but nobody in our house watches regular TV - only Netflix & YouTube.
For Roon volume I use the Roon app.
In addition to that there is a Lyngdorf app that you can use as a remote and also to do full setup of the amp with. Its a very nice app and does everything you ever need.
Can also do full setup from any web browser on your LAN once the 1120 is on your network.

We share far too much of the same equipment :grin:.
What is the remote control referenced above, it is just the remote control mechanism.

I watched a couple of videos of advanced web setup and it appears to have very comprehensive options via the web configuration page.

All the web setup can be done from any web browser including a phone or tablet.
I set room perfect up using my phone. The app can open the IP of the amp in a browser for all the advanced settings. The app itself is just source, volume, voicing and room perfect selection.

I very rarely open the lyngdorf app on the phone these days. Roon app and nVidia shield remote does everything I need once the amp is setup.

I think you can also programme a universal remote to control the amp. I don’t own one so haven’t tried by i remember reading about it somewhere.

1 Like

There is no remote control included with the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. It’s an optional accessory, and it retails for $80. Unlike some others, I find an IR remote necessary. Maybe the now-defunct Harmony has the codes, but my URC MX-5000 didn’t, so I had to pony up for the Lyngdorf remote.

As others have noted, you can control volume via the Lyngdorf Remote app, or even from your streaming service. But I don’t want to wake up my phone in a pitch-black movie room and activate Face ID just to ride the volume control. Additionally, the remote app has to “reconnect” to the TDAI-1120 every time. It takes only a second or two, but who needs that? I want to pick up a remote and control volume without looking at the thing or waiting for reconnection.

The Lyngdorf optional IR remote itself ain’t nothing to brag about. No backlighting, no direct input access. But now that I have its commands in my URC remote, I’m back to an acceptable level of control.

3 Likes

Thanks for that feedback, so what about something like RooDial, I guess that would work nicely.
I would pretty much only expect to use this mostly for Roon as I have a separate AV system for TV watching.

If I was going to use Tidal or Spotify etc then I would probably use my phone anyway and use the Connect or Chromecast facilities

Thank you for information, I also need and prefer remote over mobile device apps. One more question, are volume steps small when using remote control so that volume increase/decrease is not too large?

1 Like

With the app, the remote steps are microscopic, a fraction of a dB. With the optional IR remote, I hear every step. However, I can detect smaller changes in volume than most people, so I’m guessing around 1dB or 1.5dB steps for the optional IR control. It’s certainly small enough to be acceptable to me.

2 Likes

Thanks to a different post of mine looking for single box solution. I’m 95% sure this is my next purchase. No dealers close to me so will probably be buying online. Before I start the hunt I figured I bring this thread back to the top and see if there are any long term users with any issues.

Also looking for suggestions on where to buy if you were happy with the transaction.

Thanks Roon-ies !

1 Like

I’ve had my 1120 for around 12 months. Used daily for Roon, HDMI TV input and chromecast. I have no physical interaction with it. Just operate with mobile phone and nVidia shield remote.

Zero issues since day 1. Everything works exactly as it should. Extremely happy with it.

5 Likes

Hi, I’m a Lyngdorf dealer and I’d be happy to help. No sales tax is a nice perk.

Cheers,
Colin

615-838-7178
colin@gestalt.audio

1 Like