Lyngdorf TDAI-1120

I have had my 1120 for a few weeks. I bought it because of the range of streaming services it offered (Chromecast, Spotify Connect, Airplay, Upnp), but particularly the interface with Roon, and the HDMI input from the TV. Also, I wanted to try out Room Perfect.

I have been very pleased with it. The Roon integration is faultless and Room Perfect has improved my music listening experience.

However, the HDMI interface has been poor. With my Samsung TV, it more often than not refuses the initial handshake. It’s as if the 1120 doesn’t recognise the TV. It hasn’t really been a problem for me because I just used the optical output from the TV to one of the digital inputs on the 1120 instead. This does mean that I have had to forgo the automatic input switching on the 1120 ,and volume control visa the TV remote, with not having HDMI-CEC. It wasn’t a problem for me, but it might be something you think about.

4 Likes

Maybe you know if the gap between the 1120 and 3400 will be filled?
The 1120 has not enough power for my speakers and the 3400 is overkill.
Something with approx. 120W in 8 Ohms could be nice.

1 Like

Lyngdorf just released an updated firmware version that sorted a few things with the HDMI interface; give it a shot.

I haven’t heard anything hinting at a new product that might slot in between the 1120 and the 3400. If the 1120’s output isn’t quite enough then I bet the 3400’s output is probably the correct next step up for your speakers - if you require, say, 100 watts, the ideal amp will offer significantly more power to provide meaningful headroom and ease. Hope that helps.

Thanks, Colin. I will give it a go. I have a suspicion that the problem is more on the Samsung TV’s end. Although it was a typo of the line model when new, it is now over ten years’ old. A lot of water has passed under the HDMI-CEC bridge sincere then, and there have been no firmware updates from Samsung.

Actually, I should have mentioned how good Lyngdorf seem to be at updating the firmware on the 1120. There have been a number of fixes and enhancements since it was released.

1 Like

Thanks Colin!
The price of the 3400 is way to steep for my purpose; driving ATC SCM 11 in the living room.
I like the 1120, but a bit more umphhh would be welcome.

You might consider the 1120 with a subwoofer to handle the brunt of the power requirements. That is what I am using with my not very sensitive 87dB ProAc floorstanders with a nominal impedance of 8 Ohms.

I am using Lyngdorf’s own boundary woofers, the BW3s. Very, very easy to integrate with the main speakers.

With this configuration, I haven’t found any problems with power requirements. Your listening levels may be higher than mine, though.

1 Like

The SCM 11 are very inefficient and need more power than average.
A subwoofer is not an option for us in the living room (for now).

Roger that’s useful information as I run Dali Oberon 5 floor standers which I also think are about 87 db efficient and had the same concern’s about power. I also have the Dali ES9 powered sub so maybe I can take that worry out of my mind some.
Currently I have a Sonos Amp which has lots of power but I rarely go much above 30% and that’s enough to shake the walls.

Thanks gent’s you are filling this thread out nicely with useful information for those coming later (as well as me)

1 Like

You also have the option of adding a power amp(s) to one or both of the analogue outputs on the 1120, using the 1120 as a preamp. That way you would still get the benefit of the streaming interfaces (such as Roon) and the filters provided by Room Perfect (and any other eq you might want to apply through the Lyngdorf web client).

Out of interest I was listening to the most recent Darko Audio Podcast earlier and he mentioned that he has the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 in for review.

Obviously it depends on your view of his work, but personally I enjoy his work.

Not a very good picture but if you look below the computer monitor what do you see?

Literally plugged it in, it powered up to Roon as source by default, Enabled in Settings|Audio and was listening in one minute or less. I’ve not touched a single button or knob in 4+ hours. Initial impression…very positive. Hopefully not new gear syndrome

3 Likes

Wait until you run Room Perfect. Should sound even better then. :grinning:

1 Like

Not at all what I expected. I’ve done a fair amount of measurements and corrections to my main room. The speakers don’t have any crossovers they are bi-amped and I use an Xillica XP8080 to flatten, time align, set SPL, group delay, etc. I was totally expecting annoying sweeps from the Langdorf. It was actually fun to listen to the first few measurements.

In about 20 minutes I went form reading the manual to have 97% of the room mapped. The jury is still out on “better” but I think so. For sure there is a major difference between Focused and Global. Almost like the difference between speakers being in phase with centered stereo image and out of phase being all over the place…but I say almost. As I move around the room left or right that centered image shifts accordingly from centered to center left or center right. Kind of spooky at first. Like a painting where the eyes follow you around the room.

Much more “analysis” is needed. Trying to figure out how I can clear my calendar the next couple of days…but I gotta pay for all this I suppose.

Another not so great picture, but I think it illustrates how un-perfect my room/listening position is. Basically a wall in front of my face. Reflective windows to the right, open door to the left.

The co-worker seems to approve :grinning:

@gestalt.audio Two thumbs up and four paws up for a smooth, painless and quick transaction.

5 Likes

You might want to try your system with all DSP switched off on your Xillica and use RP only. It may be different with your set up, but whenever I’ve tried to use two different correction systems, e.g. Dirac & RP, Audyssey & RP, ARC & RP, it’s never sounded right to my ears, with all kinds of phasing issues.

I’m not familiar with the Xillica, so ignore what I said if I’ve misunderstood how it works.

Two different rooms. I was just trying to articulate that in my main room when I use a calibration microphone, REW software and address the issues myself it is a world of difference than the room perfect approach. I was expecting annoying sweeps from subsonic to above my hearing threshold. The room perfect approach is actually pleasant to listen to.

1 Like

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. Agreed on the tones played during a RP calibration. So much more bearable than the typical room correction noises. Very quick and easy too. :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I have had my eye on the 1120 for quite some time and would have bought it immediately if it had a headphone output.

So, I am in the process of putting together some options and was wondering if anyone had combined the following. 1120, Innuos Zen mini Mk 3 and an RME ADI-2 DAC FS

Still trying to work things out but it’s quite fun! Sadly we are in lockdown here in Sydney so I have no way of getting to dealers to test things so any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Well it has a been a couple of weeks since the 1120 showed up. I am truly enjoying it. It just seems to do everything right. If I didn’t have a big house with a dedicate room I’m sure I could be more than happy with this in a loft space, combined TV/Music space, large bedroom, apartment, etc.

I was a tad bit skeptical on the power, but like everything I read, it has plenty. Very solid unit.

Anyone on the fence, come on over and jump in…the water is warm.

8 Likes

Great news and glad it is working out so well for you

3 Likes