M1 Mac Mini + Roon server = awesome

I think I put 7 when doing analysis. Not had much stability with Monterey but Big Sur seems much better (11.6.1)

Yep. 7-core should be better :slight_smile:

Any UK readers of this thread may be interested to know that the 2020 M1 mini is now discounted ~15% in the Apple Storeā€™s refurbished section, making it a very plausible alternative to an Intel NUC (which I need as mine is misbehaving quite annoyingly). This is likely to be the case in other markets too.

Aidan

1 Like

So should I purchase a Mac Mini M1 with 8gb or 16gb. Once my 61k of tunes is in database does one need more memory running as a Roon-core. Might play from 3-4 zones.

Thanks

I am sure they will be back at some point but it looks like the refurbished store has sold out of M1 minis for the time being.

Since the M1 canā€™t be upgraded and RAM is a critical component for larger Roon libraries, it makes sense to spend the $ upfront and have a device that will grow with you library.

1 Like

Iā€™ll second @BCBCā€™s point - it makes sense to over specā€™ at this point rather than regret it a year or two down the line.

2 Likes

More RAM is always better I agree but I have 153k tracks in my library and Roon is using only 2.4gb. Consequently I doubt that 8gb memory would be a problem in practice as long as you have enough for the OS.

3 Likes

I would only use as a Roon-core.

My main PC runs it presently which needs to be used for other important training work tasks. 12/24 cores/ theads is definitely overkill.

Hello Doug and all others,

thanks for the comprehensive infos which encourage me to replace my Roon core currently running on a Synology NAS with a MAC Mini M1, my songs would remain on my NAS, just want to shift the core to Mac Mini to be able to connect it directly to my AVR via HDMI esp. to be able to transmit multichannel music.

Just to make sure not to run into performance issues would you mind to post two screen shots of your MacOS performance monitor for CPU und RAM usage while Roon core is playing music - if possible even multichannel music?

Thanks in advance, Matt

1 Like

I donā€™t have any multichannel music, but hereā€™s a snapshot of whatā€™s going on when I play DSD 256 with some parametric EQ and a convolution filter.

As you can see below, Roon Server is working reasonably hard, but nothing that causes any real stress.

My base mini acts as Roon core while also running 4 1080p 4 meg security IP cameras in continuous capture and I donā€™t have any performance issues, the camera capture is on an external drive USB and music stored on a NAS.

Iā€™ve just tried it on my mini M1 and managed to get it going to an Emotiva XMC-1 via HDMI so thats rather fun. Found a new endpoint to connect to the XMC-1ā€¦ 24 bit 48KHz only- You need to change the setting s in Audio Midi Setup App

Only one zone though, I have 8 endpoints and sometimes run several with different streams at the same time.

OK, hereā€™s another one, with Red Book running to one zone and DSD 128 running to another two, so three endpoints:

I havenā€™t included RAM usage as running to the extra two endpoints didnā€™t cause any increase.

Iā€™m curious about all the filtering and upsampling youā€™re doing to play through KEF LSX speakers.

I am sure it comes down to how good oneā€™s ears are, but Iā€™m pretty sure mine arenā€™t good enough to tell the difference between Redbook CD and DSD 256 through LSXā€™s.

Legitimate interest in this, not trolling, I swear!

I use HQPlayer on my mac on my two main systems to upsample to 24/192. I donā€™t bother with DSD as my streamer doesnā€™t support it. But for my bedroom system and any smaller powered speakers, I just let 16/44.1 ride as is because I simply canā€™t discern a difference.

To be honest, itā€™s enirely overkill, but hereā€™s the rationale ā€¦

The upsampling is so I can send 96kHz to the LSX rather than letting them do the upsampling. This probably makes exactly 0% difference to SQ but I figure my M1 mini has more horsepower than the KEFs so I may as well let it do the (heavy) lifting.

The convolution filter is because I have a UMIK-1 so thought I might as well use it. It does make a slight difference for the better, but itā€™s not a huge improvement. That said, it added quite a bump at around 1300Hz, so I added the Parametric EQ to dial it back a bit.

At normal listening levels itā€™s a negligible change, but more pronounced when listening at higher volumes.

In a nutshell, pretty much a waste of time and effort as my ears are neither young nor golden :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Dave, for the info, gives me some more confidence to purchase the Mac :wink: Will let you know how it turned out. Matt

1 Like

No problem. Keep us posted.

Thanks for posts.
Will stick with a workstation and build roon-core NAS with it. Was going to sell Amd Ryzen 9 cpu to fund M1 mini but will spend money on a good Raid card instead.