M3U Playlist Problems

Roon Core Machine

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB RAM, 2 x 2 TB NVMe SSD drives, 1 x 8 TB WD Black hard drive (this is where the music files are). Intel Core i9-10900F CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz. Windows 11 Pro.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wired Ethernet, Gigabit switches, CAT6 cabling, Xfinity modem/router. no VPN at the moment.

Connected Audio Devices

Networked Denon AVR-X1700H Rx. Portable wireless devices included Android phone and tablets.

Number of Tracks in Library

~18,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Problem 1: I have an external M3U playlist that has 656 tracks in it amounting to 46 hours of play time. When I put it in a media folder so Roon finds it, it only shows 520 tracks amounting to 37 hours of play time. If I open the playlist in anything else, including MediaMonkey, Music Bee, or VLC, it shows all 656 tracks and the correct play time.

Problem 2: I originally created a separate folder just for playlists. When I put an M3U playlist in there, Roon cannot find it - it never shows up. If I copy it to a folder that contains music files, Roon correctly finds it. Can you not have a folder that contains only playlists?

The first problem is much more pressing. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide. I’m a new Roon user and not that familiar with its internals, quirks, or history. Most appreciated!

Tony.

Have a read on m3u playlists section below iTunes and tidal sections.
https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/importing-playlists#:~:text=M3U%20%26%20Other%20Playlist%20Files,on%20or%20off%20Playlist%20Import.

Thanks so very much for that. It answered my question, maybe both of them. I’m still not happy about it, but at least I’m not in the dark any longer. Most appreciated!

Tony.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.