Mac client hangs immediately after starting

Roon Core Machine

RoonServer 1.8 (build 943) stable
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Intel i3-8109U CPU @ 3.00GHz
Samsung EVO SSD NVMe M.2 2TB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wired ethernet 1Gbps D-Link switch

Connected Audio Devices

MiniDSP SHD on wired ethernet

Number of Tracks in Library

25,000 tracks

Description of Issue

A couple of days ago, I was searching for an artist, I think it was The Rolling Stones, and the Mac client hung. I tried restarting the client, but it is now hanging immediately upon starting and I have to kill it. 1 cpu core is pegged at 100% while Roon client is running. I tried also restarting the core to no avail.

This problem is specific to the client on this Mac computer. Other clients (iphone, ipad) have no issues. I have another Mac and the problem is not happening there.

There are no network issues on this computer, this is my main work machine and I use it constantly without any problems.

The client hangs in a slightly different way first time it is started after core restart – compare the first screenshot (immediately after core restart) and the second (every other time)

Shut down Roon on the client. Try going under the database location on the client Mac, and renaming the Cache directory to Cache_old. Reboot the Mac, and then start Roon again.


I’ve executed these steps, but problem remains the same.

Hi @Stanislav_Markovic,

Frequent crashing can be unnerving and I’m sorry to hear you’ve had this issue. I see that you’ve already tried a Core and Remote restart and clearing the Cache. I have a few more questions to equip my team to troubleshoot efficiently:

  • How consistently are you able to reproduce the issue?

  • Is it specific to the MiniDSP SHD, or does it also occur when using System Output?

Out of curiosity, is this a managed D-link switch? Please include the model number if possible.

I’ll proceed with next steps once we know a little more. Thank you!

Hi @connor, thanks for the feedback. The problem is reproducible 100% of the time on this computer and happens immediately when I start the client. Therefore I am unable to change the output to something else – client is simply currently unusable on this computer.

I should also clarify that, when the problem happened, I was not using MiniDSP as the output – you can actually see in the first screenshot that the output is something called “KZ AS10”. That is a private zone on this computer that goes directly to external headphones (rather than system output). This is the main reason why I’m reluctant to simply reinstall the client on this computer – I have this zone defined with some specific equalizer settings for these headphones.

D-Link switch is not managed it is a cheap dumb device. Model number is DGS 105.

Please let me know about the next steps, and thanks again!

Hey @Stanislav_Markovic,

I appreciate the clarification!

You can try setting aside the database. You’ve mentioned some sensitive custom DSP settings for a particular Zone, so be sure to create a backup before proceeding. The backup will include DSP settings.

  • Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Two other thoughts after trying the recommendations from @connor: first, have you tried to uninstall the Mac Roon client software and re-installing it using the latest installer on the Roon website? Sometimes that may help from what others have experienced.

Second, you don’t state what type of Mac on which the Roon client is crashing. Again, from what I have read, other users experiencing similar issues have updated to MacOS 12.4 released this week and have stated their Macs have become stable in Roon. Not sure if this is an option or is what you are using, but if not this may be another solution for you to try.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies, procedure suggested by @connor worked. I was not aware that settings of private zones are also stored on the core. As soon as I reinstalled and connected to the core, everything was hunky dory. The only thing I had to do was change from light to dark mode and I was in business again.



This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.