MAC mini server to PSA DSD usb settings

Hello

First timer here…

I’m using a Mac Mini as a the Roon core (SSD). I’ve recently turned into a server - all I want it to be is be a Roon Core. The core is right next to my Directstream DAC - I want to go into the DAC using the USB connection. I have physically plugged it in and the Mac does recognise the DAC but, the only way to get sound out is to have the volume on 100 and it sounds rubbish. I’ve probably not ticked something? What are the best settings within Roon please to get the most out this setup?

Many thanks

Chris. :slight_smile:

Hello @Christopher_Barber — Welcome and thanks for reaching out!
Getting started, I’m hoping you can do the following:

• Provide a screenshot of Device Setup for this Zone
  • Provide a screenshot of the Signal Path when playing to this Zone
  • Do you experience any issues with any other endpoints, like System Output?

Also, here’s a quick article for getting Roon to connect with your DAC. Make sure your DAC shows up under settings>audio and that it’s enabled as outlined in the article.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello

First timer here…

I’m using a Mac Mini as a Roon core. I’ve recently turned into a server - all I want it to be is be a Roon Core. The core is right next to my Directstream DAC - I want to go into the DAC using the USB connection. I have physically plugged it in and the Mac does recognise the DAC but, the only way to get sound out is to have the volume on 100 and it sounds rubbish. I’ve probably not ticked something? What are the best settings within Roon please to get the most out this setup?

Many thanks

Chris. :blush:

Hello @Christopher_Barber — Welcome and thanks for reaching out!
Getting started, I’m hoping you can do the following:

• Provide a screenshot of Device Setup for this Zone
  • Provide a screenshot of the Signal Path when playing to this Zone
  • Do you experience any issues with any other endpoints, like System Output?

Also, here’s a quick article for getting Roon to connect with your DAC. Make sure your DAC shows up under settings>audio and that it’s enabled as outlined in the article.

Good morning Nuwriy

Thank you so much for your reply. I’m sorry it’s taken so long for me to reply.

I have no other issues with other end points.

Photos attached.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Chris. :smiley:

Well, my first comment is not about volume, but you are using basic Mac audio, OS Mixer in the System Output. What you want to use Core Audio.

As for volume, I leave mine at fixed and control the volume at the pre-amp/amp stage.

Daniel, thank you. I’ll look at that then matey.

Thanks for your help - I’ll let you know if that’s what it’s all about.

Cheers

Chris.

Hi Daniel

I think I’ve sussed it - with your help. :slight_smile:

I welcome your comments on the signal path…

Also, fixed volume; does that mean I can now only control the volume directly with the DAC rather than the Roon app on my tablet? What’s the point of that - sq reasons or is that the only way if it’s set up that way?

Add images

As with many things in life, it all depends on what you want, and there are trade offs. Yes, fixed volume means you are sending a static volume and controlling it further down the chain, for me I control it at the amp level with my amp’s remote.

Why? Well, SQ is one. While Roon claims to have a very good volume control, some like me, feel it is better handled in the hardware domain. Some feel convenience overrides any SQ benefits. Once again, you should try both and see which you prefer.
Next while you might not find any SQ differences, it does change the signal and if you wanted or needed true bit perfect output ( i.e. DTS, Full MQA DAC processing, DSD); then you need to leave it at fixed.

If you haven’t, I think you should review the following:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Audio_Setup_Basics and see what Roon has to say about Volume Control ( about halfway down the page).

1 Like

Hi @Christopher_Barber,

I have shifted your posts back into the original thread and have re-opened this one.

Glad to hear you got the audio issue resolved by changing to the proper driver with @Rugby’s help!

As per Audio Basics Setup:

Use Device Controls causes Roon to pass volume commands on to your device via the device’s driver. Exactly what happens next varies from device to device. If your device advertises a high-quality volume control over USB, it’s likely that this is the setting that you want.

DSP Volume uses Roon’s built-in 64bit dithered volume processing. This is a high quality option, but should not be your first choice for hardware that provides volume control natively.

Fixed Volume disables volume control from within Roon, sending a fixed-level output signal to the audio device. Use this setting if you plan to control volume elsewhere–for instance, on your pre-amplifier or AV receiver.