Mac Mini stops playing

Hi

My brothers Mac Mini stops playing Roon to his Devialet 1000Pro at least 5 times a day. He like to leave it on and playing a loop of music and if I log in I can see that the play icon is moving to the left of the piece of music playing but the time display is stopped and nothing is coming out. If I quit Roon server on the MAc and than restart it I can get the music to start playing again.

It is a Mac Mini with an SSD for Roon and Roon server, a 1TB hard drive for music on a wired network to a Devialet 1000 Pro.

Hopefully you can help.

Nick

Make sure the Mac mini has Time Machine, Spotlight indexing (drag/drop the external hard drive to the privacy tab), and Automatic software updates disabled during playback.

Hi @NickB,

So we can better assist you, please describe the network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

MJB’s suggestions above are definitely a great place to start as there may be an automated process on the machine that is causing this behavior.

Just to verify, does this occur with all endpoints or just the Devialet?

Hi Dylan

Have tried all the things that MJB suggested and it is still stopping.

The set up is,

Mac Mini connected to BT router by cable.
Devialet 1000 Pro connected to BT router by cable.
Roon server runs on the MAc mini and Roon as well.
He has no other endpoints just uses Roon to drive the Devialet.

Please let me know if you need any more info.

Nick

Make sure it’s not going to sleep too in the energy settings

Interestingly I have just left it running radio paradise and its been going for 15 hours non stop.

Hi @NickB,

What type of content was being played previously? Was it an internet radio station as well or was Roon radio being used?

If they play to the speakers of one of their remotes instead of the Devialet does this occur?

Hi Dylan

When playing local content it stops every few hours with the above mentioned symptoms, when Radio Paradise is run through Roon it keeps going, He uses album repeat cos he is a bit boring and has a very limited choice of music.

It would be impossible to do the test you want done as he probably spends about 10 hours a week at this house and I am just off to Spain for 5 months so won’t be able to test that either.

Sorry I can’t be more help…

OK I think I may have found an answer myself as no-one from Roon seems to be bothered. If I play via the Devialet networked system both local music and Radio Paradise stop after a certain amount of time if however I connect via AIrplay both systems will work with no problem for days. Any ideas from anyone…

maybe its related to bit rate changes that stop the devialet as an endpoint.

can you try to get it playing all at one bit rate by up/down sampling to a fixed rate?

Unfortunately that is negated by the fact that he leaves it on a loop playing the same album at the same bit rate on a loop and it stops on its own.

always the same album? not a playlist that might have another track or album in the list thats a different bitrate?

Always one album that plays over and over and over and over, I am really glad I am not there…

The sooner Devialet get their collective fingers out and support RAAT the better.

Hi @NickB,

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

I think this is going to be difficult as it can take up to 12 hours to go wrong, he is not at the house very often and I am in Spain and remote in with teamviewer to check every day.