MacBook Pro Crashes Kernel Panic after left open

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Remote:
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2,6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
MacOs Catalina

LG 27inch Ultra HD screen attached

Roon Version 1.7 (build 555)

Roon Core:

NUC8 i5 BEH
300GB SSD
16GB Ram

Roon Rock
Roon Version 1.7 (build 555)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

MacBook Pro connected to CalDigit TS3 (dock) via thunderbolt
CalDigit ethernet connected via TP-Link TL SG-108
Synology ethernet connected for audio files

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Raspberry Pi with OS RopieeXL (connect through Ethernet)
DragonFly To amplifier (attached through USB)
Using Tidal and network files

Description Of Issue

When I leave my MacBook Pro on standby/sleep for a while I get a kernel panic when leaving the Roon application open. It happens every day after a few hours unattended. When closing Roon Remote on my Mac there is no problem.

Hi @Robert_Cabri,

Welcome to the forum! Regarding the crash, can you please share a screenshot or save a copy of the error output to a text file and send it to me?

Also, please let me know the exact local time + date of the next crash so we can start tracking these events in case further diagnostics help.

How can I send you a txt file?

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Logs

@noris hereby the logs and some information about the panic report. This happened between the 15th of June after 22:00 (10pm) and 16th of June 09:00 (9AM) (European central time + 1).

Hi @Robert_Cabri,

Thanks for sending those over. I don’t see anything in particular going in in the Roon logs, but in the panic report it looks like you’re getting a Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily. Thread 0x1877a0. error.

Have you tried reinstalling the Roon remote app on your Mac? I’d give this a try:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location (on the Mac)
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder

Kernel panics can also be something on the OS, so I would look into this aspect as well, see:

As I stated before. It only happens when I have Roon left open during a certain time of absence. I have reinstalled the app as well (even removed the DB). If I close the Roon App there is no problem.

Hi @Robert_Cabri,

Can you please check to see if the behavior is the same on the latest build of Roon for both the Core and Mac controller? We recently released an update today and it would be good to check if anything has changed.

@noris I’ve tried it with the new version. Same same. This time I closed all apps except Roon to make sure not any other app would interfere or be the cause. Still happened after a night unattended.

Hi @Robert_Cabri,

Thanks for trying the new build and confirming the issue is the same. I’m going to reach out to our QA team regarding your report and discuss this one with them, once I have further feedback for you, I will reach out once more, thanks!

Hi @Robert_Cabri,

I had a meeting with the senior technical team to discuss your case. They have reviewed your report and have commented saying that Roon is very unlikely the root cause of this kernel panic, due the the way Roon is built, it shouldn’t cause a kernel exception here.

I would try resetting your NVRAM or reaching out directly to Apple tech support for further assistance.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.