Macbook, Roon Player, Extreme GPU

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac, Catalina, Latest

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Core connected via ethernet to TPLink switch.
Problem device, Macbook Pro, 13" 2017, Wifi. Latest install (yesterday)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Macbook Pro, 13" 2017, Wifi. Latest install (yesterday) - built in headphone jack.

Description Of Issue

I install Roon onto my macbook yesterday as with working from home with my partner now i cant always use speakers, since then when I listen to an album the GPU usage starts rising drastically to the point i could hear the fans on my macbook through my IEMs (mad!)
If I hit pause it quickly settles down and fans slow down.

Hello @callum_rogan,

Does this behavior only happen on a specific screen in Roon (such as the Now Playing)?

If you start playback but navigate to a different tab (such as your playlists), do you still notice the same behavior?

it appears to go away if i navigate to say discover.

also appears to stop if i explicitly ‘hide’ the app, but DOES happen if i simply have another window on top

1 Like

Hi @callum_rogan,

Your symptoms here sound very similar to another thread I’m working on:

Can you please let me know if these symptoms appear consistent with your report? In the GPU history, does it show as maxed out (particularly when switching between secondary desktop on the Mac)?

It does looks like the same issue we have

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.