macOS Catalina - Next/Previous/Pause/Start Keyboard Buttons Not Working

I am using my iMac as a Roon endpoint. With macOS Mojave I was able to use the keyboard function key F8 to get Roon to pause and start music playing. I did this by going into the System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Privacy -> Accessibility screen and adding Roon.app.

Today, I upgraded to macOS Catalina and this functionally has gone away. Please note that I deleted and added Roon.app to System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Privacy -> Accessibility. I also tried this with “Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys” option enabled and disabled.

Pressing the “Pause” key launches the Apple “Music” app now.

Are you aware of this? Is there a workaround for this?

1 Like

Encountering the same behaviour after upgrading to Catalina, and it’s been very annoying.

I hope a fix is released soon.

Hi @Speed_Racer,

I verified with the team that they’re currently working on this. We’ll be sure to provide an update as soon as we have more information.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks, @dylan!

Running 6-Core Mac Mini 2018 with Roon 1.6 Build 416 64bit

I have permissions enabled and have been using my media keys fine before the latest MacOS update, Catalina. Now whenever I use my media keys it just launches apple music. I have disabled and re-enabled the permissions, restarted, rebooted the app, nothing seems to work.

Any assistance on this would be appreciated…

Hi @Ryan_Zimmer,

I’ve moved your post into an existing topic about this. Please see my prior response linked below:

Is there an ETA on this fix? This is a very annoying problem…

@dylan,
I originally posted this 2 weeks ago. Wondering when we are going to see an update. It shouldn’t take this long to fix a permissions issue. I thought there would be better support with a $500 app…

Running 6-Core Mac Mini 2018 with Roon 1.6 Build 416 64bit

I have permissions enabled and have been using my media keys fine before the latest MacOS update, Catalina. Now whenever I use my media keys it just launches apple music. I have disabled and re-enabled the permissions, restarted, rebooted the app, nothing seems to work.

Any assistance on this would be appreciated…

They are currently working on this and other problems. They will release the fixes, probably in one big release, when they are ready. They are not going to quote a timeframe.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUCLEUS

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Apple Time Capsule connected to Netgear switch connected to Nucleus.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB - Oppo UDP-205
HDMI - Marantz AV8801

Description Of Issue

I have granted permission for media keys on mac os (catalina). I imported ronn in accessibility and granted access but not working. Play triggers iTunes (music) to open. What is to be done?

Hi @Gregor_Pompe,

Please see my post here:

Yes, the new update fixed the media keys on Catalina. Great work!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.