macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

Or a Harmony remote.

just right and sadly true
I tested it on my Mac book pro and decided to stay with Mojave and iTunes the rest of my life

Just for information purposes, I upgraded my 2018 4.2GHz/ i7/ 40GB/ Quad Core 5K 27" and just opened roon’s raat, and the music sounds delightful. But I am not dealing with the same set of circumstances, i.e., on my 2018 6 Core Mac Mini, i7, 32GB, 3.2GHz (?), with all my music stored on Promise Pegasus 2, R6, Raid 5 Thunderbolt. And because of what has been reported, I am following the useful admonitions of others who recommend waiting until one can be reasonably assured upgrading to Catalina will not hamper enjoying the music which is my highest priority.
So thank you all at roon for my being able to play roon remotely on my iMac at the other end of the house and employ both iPhone XS Max and iPad Pro 12.9 using iOS 13.1.2 remote to control roon core on my Mac Mini employing for the present Mojave 10.14.6. as enjoying the music is always the thing, the equipment seduces.
Best,
Richard

Ever since I bought a lifetime Roon license, I’ve stopped using iTunes entirely. I also run Roon Core on a headless Linux server, which is as stable as a…trying to avoid saying ROCK…mountain.

1 Like

Fortunately, I do not have the same problem running Roon on my iMac OS 10.15 Catalina as I can still access my external hard drive with my music library. The reason is because I have a Nucleus that has the Roon core and the external hard drive is attached to the Nucleus. Until there is a fix for the rest of you I now feel a little better for having shelled out all those bucks for the Nucleus. It’s a shame my wife doesn’t feel the same way!

@support For almost one week some Roonies cannot play their favourite music because problems with macOS Catalina vs Roon.
Is there any change to get some more details than ‘we’re working on it’ from the dev team? Some sort of transparency? Thanks!

2 Likes

A work breakdown structure? The code base they are working on?
What more can they add than they are actively working?

2 Likes

Hi I also dared to update to Catalina and indeed ROON would not connect - then I saw that filesharing in the preferences was turned off on my Mac Mini with Catalina - so I activated and Woeshhh ROON is playing again!!! maybe this helps? My configuration is the Core on Mac Mini High Sierra server with Drobo DAS 40TB and end points Mac Mini Catalina, MacbookPro Mojave, RopieeeXL, Cambridge Audio 851N and a bunch of Sonos, Bose AirPlay, Bower and Wilkins Formation streamer, Arcam BT streamer and all working flawless now!

1 Like

Room can’t know what the final release will be like as they only get the Beta, not an advance copy of the final production release of an OS. The only people who get that are Apple themselves.

Did you not do a backup of your system eg using Time Machine before upgrading? Personally I do a clone of the system disk before upgrading so I have a recovery option, finally whilst it is easy to be wise after the event if the system is running critical or important applications it is always wiser to wait a while before updating.
I am certain Roon will release a fix sooner rather than later.

Keep guessing :wink:

OK — so I used the Terminal workaround to get Roon to work on my system, but the Terminal command was deleted by mods so now I can’t start Roon. When the Catalina-compatible update comes, will the devs please also give us a Terminal command to undo the one that Daniel (Chui_HUi_Lin) posted?
Thank you, and hope to see an update soon!

Updated Mac Mini to Catalina running Roon Core. No problems using Roon device output to Chromecast Audio to optical input on NAD integrated. However, there is definitely an issue using Roon device output via USB to NAD integrated. Playback will pause and stop after different intervals. It may be a USB driver issue on Mac Mini or NAD or both.

Apple is embarrassing themselves with some of these very buggy updates .
Steve Jobs is rolling over in his grave .

I also wanted to undo that command but couldn’t find a solution so finally I decided to reinstall my system and erase all data from my disc. So now I am back to square one - Roon works normally meaning I can’t access my external disk and I’m waiting for helping hand from Roon…

1 Like

This is also Roon’s fault, not Apple’s. Apple has provided devs beta versions for months now and it looks like Roon did nothing with them. Programs like Audirvana and Plex released updates prior to Catalania’s release to make sure they worked (Roon, nothing). I’m happy to wait and let Roon get around to it and I’ll use Audirvana in the meantime… they just need to admit they dropped the ball with this and not being proactive.

10 Likes

You can always tell iTunes to leave the files where they are when importing them in the library. I have done in this way and I have a nicely organised Roon library and keep synchronising the iPhone using iTunes.

If possible, it would be helpful if Roon could give us an update as to where they are or, at least, an indication of the approximate time when we can expect a fix.

3 Likes

as for my iTunes music, stored on an external drive, it seems to be all there but a lot of albums now appear without their cover art … .perhaps an iOs fix is also necessary…

Us fanboys waiting for some type of certification ok signal from all of our “favorite” software providers Is the central theme of Waiting for Godot. It will never happen.
This was no last minute change by Apple. Roon is a beta customer and had every opportunity to discover this problem report it to Apple and just as importantly proactively warn Roon users.

4 Likes