macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

@Bob_Leader You’re absolutely right! As a MacOS beta-tester myself I can confirm that this external disc access problem was not caused by a last minute change from Apple at all.

2 Likes

Beta customer or not, not every issue experienced by a developer is their responsibility. Somewhere along the line Apple needs to do some QA as well. I use Little Snitch, on my Mac mini it upgraded just fine, on my MacBook Pro it had some obscure out of date software error. After checking the Little Snitch website I found a solution, I had to run an obscure touch command after mounting my boot drive in recover mode. The touch command updated the System Library files to the current date and time, I’d only just done the install. Little Snitch then updated just fine.

Apple really give me the shits, why still no FLAC, morons.

Roons responsibility was to communicate to their community, where did this happen proactively? This is no corner case affecting a few in some obscure manner. If you upgraded to Catalina and your music is on a local USB drive you are currently SOL.

1 Like

I have just started to lose confidence in Roon Labs, and I am unsure about their future given that they cannot handle the MasOS Catalina, and their ability to communicate to us about almost anything, you name it…

1 Like

You told her?

Actually, they don’t.

As a specced up Mac Mini I7 user using an external SSD for storage I was considering upgrading to lifetime Roon. Not anymore. At what Roon costs this non accessing of external storage and not being addressed or warned as part of Roon’s beta testing is giving me serious pause and makes me question the sense of faith I had previously assumed with those running Roon.
Hard to think of a viable excuse.

5 Likes

Ok then. Sorry for bothering you.

iTunes re-downloads the cover art, just leave it open for a while, in the background.

Reading these comments, if you’re serious about Roon, a small investment in a NUC with internal HD/SSD and Rock - or a Nucleus - will save a lot of aggravation, and keep the music playing.

What’s a “small investment”?

It’s such a boring looking box sitting on a shelf under the TV that I could have hidden it but I must have felt guilty and told her!

I think it’s reasonable to expect that to work. Why on earth is that storage type the issue? Surely that’s an operating system issue. Macs have a plethora of odd storage you’d need to test if you couldn’t depend on the OS at all, they have thunderbolt 1,2 and 3, FireWire, USB 2, 3 and C, SCSI, internal and network. I can’t see a small outfit like Roon testing all possibilities. Just compare Adobe, a huge company, and Roon, even they don’t have compatibility with Catalina.

Apple are huge, they’re as big as Microsoft and yet they can’t even maintain compatibility with their own recent hardware. Now you can’t even run 32bit sw, The oldest hardware they support is 2012. They’re a joke.

Guess at least it’s not as bad as their stupid phones, ios13 won’t even run on iPhone 6, that’s only 5 yrs old.

1 Like

Late night theory…

Roonserver doesn’t run or identify to the OS as a normal application (try doing a Spotlight search to launch it). New MacOS now asks the user to decide whether an application can access the local file systems, including external drives. It doesn’t recognise RoonServer as the right kind of process that initiates this new process so never gets access to the non-local drives.

Good night.

This is just another reason why I have been very happy streaming via Tidal almost exclusively for years. No ripping files, managing libraries, backing up external drives - or getting stuck by drive access issue following a less than smooth OS update.

2 Likes

Currently, $360 without the extra drive (from the KnowledgeBase Link)

Add a 2TB SSD for $225 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L31K2MK/ref=twister_B07NW72QY9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

”I can’t see a small outfit like Roon testing all possibilities” : yah like having your music on an external drive connected via a USB port no longer works!

Ramble on!

It runs fine on my iPhone 6S Plus.

I’ve been running iTunes on an iMac with the iTune files (almost 2 T’s) resident on an external hard drive. Is there an alternative set-up, stable in the long term, that uses neither Apple or PC? I’m a little fashioned, i.e. I still rip CD’s and do not stream …

To the moderators : please pass on the message that we all need some sort of update/communication from Roon. We are all stressed by this situation hence some rather hard posts.

4 Likes

Yes, that came out a year later. There were the 6, 6+ and then the 6S and 6S+. You probably won’t be able to upgrade next time.