Marantz NA6006 Issue

It’s airplay only.
Either an optical or full DAC hat

Let’s keep it honest here. It was Roon that did the boasting onthe “adoption by Marantz” when in fact nothing changed.
Roon, the unbeaten champion of marketing hyperbole!

It’s a world wide spread cancer…

I’m sure @occasionallyhere is correct, it is a Roon Tested device, which means it it certified for use as a DAC (over USB primarily).
If it was Roon Ready it would speak RAAT, but i suppose thats not going to happen.

Edit: Oops! it aint got an USB input… Then i fail to see how they can claim Roon Tested-ness

I know this is a year old but rather than start a new thread…

Question on the NA-6006 output.

If I used the Toslink digital output to the relevant digital input of the onboard Dac of my Parasound integrated would it still be on Airplay only or?
In theory if Roon " sees" the dac at the end of the toslink chain it should be capable of at least 24/96 or possibly even 24/192.

Thoughts?

Sorry Kevin, the SPDIF connections are one way only (No feedback to Roon on capabilities). And, since the NA-series doesn’t support RAAT they will be Airplay (audio) only @16/44.1
Which isn’t bad, it actually sounds pretty good. There are always a bit of audiophile snobbery in “these parts of the woods”.

Thank you Mikael.
However I would tend to agree with your comment from a year ago, how on earth did these become Roon Tested?
Although I guess as they do actually work albeit over Airplay only then that was close enough, although a little misleading imho?

Kevin, I have the NA-6006. I use a Raspberry pi as my Roon end point, optical out from the Pi to the Marantz, and then from the Marantz to my amp. sounds great.

2 Likes

Kevin Roon tested generally means that they work without RAAT and have been seen by Roon to confirm these features.
I have never been a fan of Airplay and not sure why besides bad early experience and draining iPhone batteries when I used an iPhone. I generally prefer Chromecast if I cannot get Roon or get it directly through Sonos.

Only thing missing with Pi’s is generally volume control, but that is not a big miss if you have the remote control or really want to use digital volume control. But the Pi hat’s are lovely little devices and I have several that I am looking for new uses for since I have bought Roon ready streamers. It’s going to be difficult to buy anything in the future that is not Roon ready having got used to it now

1 Like

Like Michael stated, Roon Tested means they work with available interfaces, in this case AirPlay and on USB. But it’ll do fine connected to a RAAT capable endpoint, such as a a Pi running Roon Bridge (perhaps with a SPDIF output HAT) or on the far end of a computer of choice!

Well Airplay is the only direct option as it does not have USB output unfortunately.
And even though it might work very well, adding yet another box onto it rules it out for the application I was considering.

Thank you though for all the great information.

Damned! They don’t? I have had NA-8005 and NA-11S1 along with my first streamer, the NA-7004 and they all had USB input. Well, a Pi with Ropieee and a Hifiberry Digi+ HAT will solve your conundrum to best possible experience!

Or just use single ended RCA output and see what 16/44 Airplay sounds like first.

No audio snobbery here!:sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s why Pi hat’s are so good and useful for so many of us, especially in our early days. For some forever, but there will be an increasing number of streamers over the next couple of years that should make adding Roon to any amp already owned.
It’s going to make the decision between all in one box that has RAAT or a good standalone amp and a streamer an ever harder decision

1 Like

The other option is UPnPBridge (GitHub - philippe44/LMS-to-uPnP: Integrate UPnP players with LogitechMediaServer)

Then instead of Airplay you are using DLNA/UPnP. The integration with Roon is a bit worse but you are getting higher bitrates easily. I’m using it with ND8006 so I believe it should work fine with NA devices as well.

1 Like

I assume UPNP is not native on that device?
Otherwise you could use this to make it work better with Roon

My impression is that rooUPnP is a dedicated commercial deployment of philippe44’s software for Roon & PI.
You are paying for easier installation and a bit simpler configuration. But underneath it’s the same piece of software.

Ok understood, so RooUPnP can only use a streamer with built-in UPNP to treat it as a Roon endpoint, so this might be pointless in this case

Piotr,
you are only partly right, that’s why I gave credits on the http://rooExtend.local settings page of rooExtend to Phillipe.

Why reinvent the wheel? I enhanced his software in a way, that bitrate and format can be changed online without stopping the bridge. I also developed the Roon Extension for easy setup as you wrote and to control Phillipe’s software.

Phillipe did not supply a list of supported devices which I started and which I am still continuing now with some Denon and Marantz devices.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Good to know. Thanks for explanation.

BTW, what’s your experience comparing the sound quality of UPnP vs PI USB connection (rooUPnP vs rooPlay in your products)?