Marantz Stereo 70S Roon Tested

I have a Roon Nucleus and recently purchased a Marantz Stereo 70s.

I have the Marantz hard wired to my network and enabled in Roon, but beneath the Marantz label in Roon, it says Airplay where my Lumin streamer just has the IP address shown.

Is there a setting I’m missing somewhere to switch it from airplay to wired?

AirPlay doesn’t have to be wifi despite the name. It’s just Apple‘s way of saying „without connecting a dedicated cable“

Protocols

AirPlay and AirTunes work over a local network, through either Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Originally, devices had to be connected to the same network, but since late 2017 devices can opt to use Wi-Fi Direct allowing devices to connect without a LAN.

Ok, but my understanding is Airplay is limited to 24bit/44khz and the Marantz is capable of 24/192, so, how do I go about achieving the highest resolution possible? Thanks

For direct network connection to Roon, you are limited to AirPlay. Marantz is Roon Tested, not Roon Ready.

AJ

I thought CD quality, 44.1/16. Anyway, the limitation has nothing to do with whether the carrier is wifi or Ethernet.

If the Marantz has an USB input, use that

@Mark81, as you note, with AirPlay you cannot stream better than CD quality as this is a limitation set by Apple (Apple TV using AirPlay runs at a max of 24/48 though). If 16/44.1 is lower than you want, then you will need to add a network streamer that supports the resolution you want and connect it to a digital input on the 70S.

Or try

3 Likes

That kind of sucks as it was one of the reasons I got the Marantz. Luckily enough, I have a Lumin streamer I can connect, but I was looking to reduce the number of boxes I had by replacing the Lumin with the streaming ability of the Marantz. Guess that was a fail! Lol

If you really want to get rid of the Lumin D2 but not stuck with AirPlay 16-bit 44.1kHz to Marantz, your only other option is to use HDMI to connect the Nucleus to Marantz.

Marantz and Denon AV receivers generally do not have USB DAC function. Their USB type-A ports are meant for USB memory devices only.

Can you still return it? There are a few all-in-one boxes that are actually Roon Ready rather than just Roon Tested.

I use my Marantz with Roon via Rheos, it’s fabulous. They have never advertised anything other than Roon Tested for any Marantz product. Roon Tested and Roon Ready are very different things.

1 Like

Are you sure hdmi will enable streaming of hi-rez files and not capping them off to airplay limitations? I just finished running 50 ft of ethernet cable to the marantz as I was told that was the solution. It wasn’t.

No they are using the additional software referenced in this thread. If you have equipment that can support it then it could be worth testing if you are enjoying the sound of your Marantz

Others will correct me if I’m wrong here, I recall Nucleus can output 192kHz via HDMI, if your configuration is correct and the HDMI cable is not too long (i.e. you will have to relocate the Nucleus fairly close to the Marantz). Beyond 10 ft your chance of success will decrease significantly as the length increases.

I doubt this non-solution was suggested by any of the experienced member here.

You are correct! That was the solution given to me by the salesman.

Well he’s right to some degree as it works with Roon and it’s best to use a wired connection. Did he ever mention Roon Ready or did you just assume?

With today’s HEOS app update, devices are showing up as ROON Ready but ‘uncertified’

Maybe there’s hope of an official solution.

1 Like

Not had a heos update, maybe not hit uk yet. That would be amaze balls if it’s a real thing.

Checked release notes no mention of Roon Ready I am sure it would be mentioned. I wonder if this is just a mistake Roon side?

I got one to

1 Like

No, I mistakingly saw Roon Tested and didn’t even think that it was any different that Roon Ready, so my bad. Would a transition from Roon Tested to Roon Ready be a future firmware update, or does it actually require hardware?

I just did a firmware update and got this screen, but can’t enable it until Marantz receives certification. Thos is promising!