Mark Levinson 5909 headphones Streaming and Codecs

I’ve always prioritized my Hi Fi system and only been an occasional headphone user whilst on the go or in bed.

However, we now have a baby about to arrive so I really need to make sure I still get my music fix!

I use the Sony MX1000XM3 for podcasts and convenience and bought the Mark Levingson 5909 to use for music.

I have a Roon Server with several streaming end points across the house.

I’m an iphone user so have so far really only been using the ML 5909 connected to my iphone using either Roon or the Tidal app, using the AAC Bluetooth codec.

The sound is not bad, but I’ve now tried a couple of other routes.

Tried plugging the wired USB C into my Macbook and headphones and streaming using Roon, not overly impressed really, does this take the headphones out of active mode, which DAC is being used here?

Anyway, more successful was connecting to one of my Bluesound Powernodes (2022 version), here I was able to get Bluetooth APTX HD which did to me sound noticeably more full range and dynamic than AAC from my iphone. I’m not sure if that’s the codec or just that the Powernode is a better source full stop. The lower sub bass registers on some tracks that I could not previously hear via Iphone/AAC were there and there was a bit more detail and clarity.

Unfortunately the Bluetooth from the Powernode in the kitchen does not reach the bedroom where I will probably do most of my streaming (or baby screaming!)

So what would I buy that will work with roon and send the best quality Bluetooth audio to the ML Headphones?

Another Bluesound product, one of the Wiim streamers?

Or is there a better way of doing this?

Wired might be ok if next to bed but probably want wireless given the baby mayhem that may be about to ensue.

5909 makes it quite tricky to figure out if you are using a straight analog, bit-perfect digital, or processed digital signal path.

Having said that, having a source that supports LDAC codec should give you the best quality with these. AptX would be second best. Wiim (Pro, at least) does not seem to support those though. A decent Android phone should work though, getting quite good sound from my LG V60.

Thanks, yes hard to tell what is and isn’t working with the 5909. Apparently they still sound good in passive wired mode but not really tried that with a decent headphone amp.

I’ve ordered an senheiser Bluetooth adapter that when used with the apple lightening to USB camera adapter supposedly means I can use AptX HD on my iPhone. I already have the camera adapter so for £25 on Amazon it’s worth a go.

At the other end of the cost scale the Fiio D7 streamer (Roon Ready) is tempting to try!! That does have LDAC and also can try wired to the amp as a second option.

They work pretty well passively, but you obviously aren’t getting frequency curve adjustment in the headphones. Not much of an issue with Roon though as you can do it there (probably better).

AptX should work pretty well, and Fiio is a decent option, to keep the phone free. AptX adapter is definitely an option, but with so much stuff plugged into the phone, doesn’t that sort of defeat the point of using a mobile device?

2 Likes

If they will drive the headphones you could consider Chords Mojo/Poly driving the headphones in wired mode.

As a battery powered Roon ready endpoint it makes it very easy to listen to wired headphones wherever you are.

Thanks, I have sort of gone with a similar solution by buying the FiiO M11S DAP which is Roon ready.

Very happy with it so far.

LDAC works well.

Only issue is after trying a wired connection to some other headphones, my modest Denon C821 in ears, I realise maybe I should be going back to wired and perhaps the 5909 aren’t that great after all. Not that fussed about them on USB dac mode or driven by the FiiO headphone output. Also quite uncomfortable. Tempted to sell em.

Did you try them in passive wired mode? They are not too bad, but also I would say probably not worth the regular price – you are paying for the ML name on them, mostly, and a tiny bit of Harman engineering. Well, and fancy build.

I only use them for flights – for the price I got them for, noise cancellation is good enough, sound is good enough as well, and at least they look good and aren’t Bose :slight_smile:

If you qre going to use them wired, you can certainly do better for less money.