Marketing emails from Roon

Hi peeps.

Did anyone else find the unsolicited email from Roon announcing this $25k system somewhat insensitive to an economically stricken global economy (drastically elevated energy and food prices, etc).

I dunno I, ironically, found it somewhat tone deaf and poorly timed.

2 Likes

Here in Europe it will cost 32000 ā‚¬. Given that Iā€™ve just sold my Bartok (as for the life of me I couldnā€™t hear a difference with a much more modestly priced DAC), Iā€™m not quite ready to splash that kind of money on a dCS headphone system. dCS has chosen to cater to the high high-end market, and there you donā€™t have people who worry about the global economic situation too much; in fact theyā€™re busy profiting from it. As for the value-price relation, thatā€™s simply not the point for luxury goods.

But youā€™re right: Roon, please stop sending unsolicited adverts for high-end products. Most Roon customers have more sense than (easy) money!

1 Like

Not me. There are, and always will be, people who have the resources and desire to purchase expensive gear. I sometimes wonder when I see some of these very expensive music system if there is not a more useful way to spend your money. On the other hand, you donā€™t know that these people arenā€™t doing their share to help others, so best not to make judgements.

Class warfare is not the answer.

8 Likes

I received an email from dCS but nothing from Roon. Strange roon send such emailā€¦

I never got an email. Roon must know how much I donā€™t earn.

6 Likes

Itā€™s clearly Roon that sent the email.

Iā€™ve not received the email, but I imagine it will take a while for Amazon SES to process 200k+ emails.

IIRC Roon sends occasional emails from the Roon Store. If you donā€™t want to receive them, click on the unsubscribe link in the email.

1 Like

Probably went to your spam folder. Looks like your spam filter knows how much you earn :rofl:

5 Likes

I did get the email. I donā€™t really mind either way to be honest. I wonder if the email was sent to people who have commented on dCS - I certainly have.

Oh well, if it goes by comments and such only emails Iā€™ll be getting from Roon will be for Amazon Basic ā€œpick product hereā€.

2 Likes

I got it and I have never mentioned tha brand in here or anywhere else.

I think they just send it to the well-heeled classā€¦
Like me, lol

This is an audio forum. Not a Concern Trolling forum.

Being an Audio Science Review aficionado, a onetime Electrical Engineer, and a Topping, ifi, FiiO, RME products measure better so sod the expensive bling type fellow, Iā€™m probably not in the target demographic. Hardly the worst kind of spam though. Always nice to know what the Audio-juju Folks are into these days.

4 Likes

Yes insensitive and pointless for me in the UK.

ā€˜Delivery is available in the US only.ā€™

I have unsubscribed but that returned a ā€˜ You will no longer receive messages from Roon Labsā€™ which isnā€™t what I wanted to unsubscribe from. It is Roon Store I have no interest in.

2 Likes

I got the email, never mentioned dcs on this forum as far as I can remember, but putting an RK27 volume control which costs around Ā£10 in it , the money hasnā€™t gone on parts.

1 Like

So because the global economy is in a slump you suggest Prada, LV, Hermes and DCS and MSB should shutter their stores? Or stop advertising? In a free marketā€¦supply and demand will dictate the longevity or existence of productsā€¦not whether or not I can afford them. I like seeing new tech and products like this. As eventually the technology will trickle down. I also like checking out if the product delivers to justify the price.

I imagine this Lina setup is targeted at someone who would buy a Vivaldi or MSB or Taiko extreme but canā€™t or doesnā€™t want to use speakers all the time. Different strokesā€¦Roon keep keeping me updated on whatā€™s new in hifiā€¦.even if I may not be able to afford it.

2 Likes

Chill out Dean. dCS can do what they want; Iā€™m having a go at Roon for taking advertising bucks from dCS to send unsolicited adverts about obscenely expensive kit. Itā€™s poor taste and does more to damage the Roon brand than any money they may have received from dCS.

Totally chilled, Rik. Iā€™m just confused by your reasoning. For clarificationā€¦Youā€™re off put/annoyed by Roon (essentially a software company) for leveraging its subscriber base by sending out ads for 3rd party companies/affiliatesā€¦in doing so adding to Roonā€™s top line? Do you realise that in the current inflationary global economy you mentioned, Roon is one of the few companies that havenā€™t yet announced a price increase? I say carry on Roon, especially if it gives me a chance to get my lifetime sub before any potential price increase.

Iā€™m pretty sure you can unsubscribed from Roonā€™s newsletter in any case, if seeing ads for high end gear triggers you.

Iā€™m not so keen to encourage Roon to add a opt out option as someone else suggestedā€¦as that would only bring any potential price increase faster.

3 Likes

No problem with that. But one definitely should be able to say no thanks to advertising emails. Especially from a service as roon which I pay money for. There are also a lot of better places where you can update yourself regarding new hi-fi products. Who subscribes to roon for that reason!?

Totally agreeā€¦giving an option to not receive ads is always good. Just saying that removing a companyā€™s avenue for revenue usually results in them either increasing your subscription fee or introducing tier service levels. This is a business. Who knows maybe theyā€™ll start including ads in the software for a stable or reduced subscription fee at some point :slight_smile: Iā€™m sure if roon had the subscription numbers weā€™d already have a basic ad supported tier and premium w/o ads like Spotify etc.