Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA via USB. Problems playing DSD, MQA and 176 files

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Running Roon ROCK. Roon Version 1.6 (416)
Core is an Intel NUC (NUC7i7BNH) with ROCK

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

GigE Network Netgear GS108

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA via USB

Description Of Issue

1. USB Interface lockup playing MQA files. MA DAC when playing MQA files via roon with DSP or Volume leveling engaged, going from 96K to 192K will lock up and play silence until the USB interface is reset.

2. USB Interface playing DSD after 44.1K files caused static to play for 6 seconds before DSD files plays normally.

3. USB Interface playing 176.4K and 352.8K files causes heavy distortion on music.

These problems only happen with this DAC over USB. I have a number of other DACs that all play fine. I know that this DAC is using the new XMOS XU216 USB chip which is most likely the problem.

I have uploaded audio files of the last two problems for you to listen to. Let me know any other steps you would like me to take.

files
DSD Problem. I play a 44.1 file then play a DSD64 dsf file native. Playing DSD files by themselves or after any other sampling rate does not cause the issue.

176 sampling rate problem. I play a 44.1 and switch the sampling rate to 176, then back again so you can hear the distortion. This will happen only with this sampling rate whether it is being upsampled or using a native 176 flac file.

1 Like

Hi @JBNY,

Thanks for the report here. Can I please ask you to reproduce this behavior and note the exact local time + date in your country when you see this behavior, while also specifying in which category it fall in from the 3 you mentioned above? After getting this information, I’d like to enable diagnostics and take a look for any additional clues, thanks!

I have the Matrix and the same symptoms

Date sept 13 EST all time is AM

Problem 1) 8:58:12 again at 9:00:03

Problem 2) 9:02:27

Problem 3) 9:03:40

Let me know what you want to do next.

Hi @Maxxim_M,

Thanks for letting us know you are experiencing similar symptoms, this is a good data point to have.

@JBNY,

I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

I have enabled this feature, but I am not seeing any diagnostics reports from your ROCK Core come in recently. Can I please ask you to manually send me the logs from your ROCK Core by using these instructions and then reboot your ROCK afterwards? The best way to get the logs over to us would be via a shared Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com link.

You might not have gotten anything because tthe core was not active. Probably have something now. Either way I zipped up the logs, and rebooted the core.

EDIT PM me if you still need the logs.

-Joe

I had a similar issue when trying to use DSP volume control playing MQA over USB. It did not work at all. The reply I received from Matrix Audio Tech Support:

“X-Sabre Pro MQA is a Roon tested device, the MQA files can not use the DSP volume, because it will be effected the coding structure of MQA files. It similar as when playing DSD files, it should be keep the volume maximal and not allowed to use DSP.”

That is an odd thing for them to say, of course MQA and DSD files can use the DSP feature. I do it all the time with my Mytek Liberty DAC in roon.

Hello @JBNY,

Thank you for the clear and thorough reporting, I can only wish all support tickets were of this caliber :ok_hand:

Our hypothesis is that this is a bug in the USB chipset of the X-SABRE Pro. We’ve received similar reports from other users of Matrix Audio products, including the Element line.

We’re working with Matrix Audio to get this issue resolved. If there is any news to share, I will be sure to keep you updated in this thread.

-John

1 Like

Great to hear you are working on a resolution with MA. If you need any other information from me, including testing a fix, please reach out.

I have been working with Matrix audio. They had sent me new firmware for both the XMOS USB chip and DAC. They were able to fix most of the above problems but unfortunately introduced a few new ones that occur under fairly unique circumstances.

Support over at MA, has told me they are shipping roon a Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA DAC for them to work out the rest of the fixes that need to be applied.

@john if you need any help in testing anything, please do not hesitate to reach out to me…

-Joe

Hi @JBNY,

Thanks for the update here!

Do you mind expanding with a bit more information in this regard so we can be on the lookout for the new issues you noticed on the updated firmware?

Sure.

1. USB Interface lockup playing MQA files. MA DAC when playing MQA files via roon with DSP or Volume leveling engaged, going from 96K to 192K will lock up and play silence until the USB interface is reset.
    FIXED. I have been running for hours/days with no errors.

2. USB Interface playing 176.4K and 352.8K files causes heavy distortion on music.
    Still hearing distortion when playing these files ONLY when using the DSP or volume level function in roon.

3. USB Interface playing DSD after 44.1K files caused static to play for 6 seconds before DSD files plays normally. Problem now exists going from 176.4 or 352.8 files to DSD. 44.1 to DSD is FIXED.

4. New issue, up sampling 192 to 768 causes same distortion I hear with 176.4 files in issue #2.

5. New Issue. While playing a 44.1k file, using sample rate conversation, change 44.1k to DSD128. The song will play fine for about 5 seconds then you will hear 5 seconds of static and then the file will play normally.

Again if you need any help in testing or finding bugs please let me know.

-Joe

2 Likes

is this firmware available on the Matrix website?

They told me they were going to release it to get more feedback. So I would expect to see it soon.

Nice to see such a responsive manufacturer especially as it seems to be such a high quality product.

I’m waiting, I have the same problems …

I’m keeping a watching brief on this as this DAC is supposedly a game-changer for the money. It’s on my radar as a potential successor to a Holo Spring 1 (Lev 1).

I’ve had similiar problems with MQA files locking up both Roon and the XSabre DAC when dsp/EQ, headroom, et al are in use.

I will note that they deployed a new Firmware for the XSabre Pro MQA ( https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/news/20191011428.html ), but I haven’t tested it yet because I am suffering audio playback glitches and intermittent noise on regular flac files being played back both with and without over-sampling enabled in Roon which is preoccupying my time . This DAC has near perfect measured performance, but it’s glitchy imho. I’m likley going to RMA this unit for a new one.

I have not seen that problem at all. Did you contact MA support? They were very helpful with my situation. Also if you have the ability to use the IIS port, it is rock solid as it uses an older XMOS chip. The only thing you give up with IIS is MQA, that is only available on the USB interface.

BTW the firmware update on their site is the same one they gave me to test out. It has been pretty solid for me.