Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 (USB - I2S interface)

It’s not officially a Roon end-point but works all the same.
Get an external power supply, e.g., Small Green Computer 7 volt, and you will have better sound quality.
I run the the I2S output to the I2S input of my Matrix DAC for an amazing sound. DSD 512 from my streamer or Nucleus +.

I used a Holo Audio Titanis in between my Raspberry Pi and the X-SPDIF2. Cleans up both the USB data signal and the USB power. Simple and very effective. I had the standard 300mA one.

https://kitsunehifi.com/product/holo-audio-titanis-active-usb-processor/

thanks for the replies.

a few small points. does the x spdif 2 show up as a device connected to my core (imac) in the audio settings in roon? does roon generate a small graphical icon for the device? on my mac i would see the matrix as a usb audio device so i’m trying to figure out what i’ll see with roon as the matrix will output an optical stream to my chord mscaler so my imac would only then see the matrix and not the mscaler in this case.

how do you know the matrix is passing on a bit perfect signal from the roon core to your audio device? do you just enable it as a device which is connected to one’s core and look for the purple lights?

finally can anyone comment on usb powering vs a dedicated third party LPS in terms of SQ? it would be nice to eliminate the need for another power supply. does the matrix work with new computers with a usb c adaptor?

as seen this is new territory for me thanks to all. i’m trying to ascertain if the matrix beats optical out of my imac. MK.

My path was:

MacBook Pro --USB w/dirty power–> Holo Audio Titanis --USB w/clean power–> X-SPDIF2 --I2S–> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC ----> STAX energizer and (then) top-of-the-range SR-009 earspeakers.

I didn’t feel the sound was compromised with (cleaned) USB power; in fact, completely avoiding external power factor not only simplified things and reduced cost considerably, but it was also a relief not to go down that rabbit hole.

HI Joel,

so you are saying the titanis in the chain negates the need for an external third party LPS? does the titanis draw power from the usb bus leaving the matrix underpowered? in this case do you go for the 300mA or 800mA titanis? thanks mk

Yes.

Of course, but it’s insignificant.

Not at all.

I actually checked with Jeff Zhu, the designer of the Titanis and Spring DAC. He said:

The 300mA Titanis should be able to work with Matrix X-SPDIF2. It specs for 500mA. But from the photo of the board I can estimate it consumes about 150mA.

Indeed I had no problems at all with the 300mA version. It’s an additional $24 for the 800mA version if you want “in spec” peace of mind.

I bought this a while ago, sound pretty awesome especially considering the price. And it has nice tech inside, and a toggle for turning off USB vbus and take external power. Anyone compared it to the Matrix or Sinxer (I am running mine on a 6V sealed lead acid battery)?

https://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/111-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wmanual-power-switch.html

Here are Amirs measurements on it (it has since lowered its price):

the last thing which comes to mind is the voltage requirement for the matrix which is 6-9v. i know now we have the required current but how does one know if the titan is supplying the required voltage? if the matrix requires 500mA does the enhanced titan 800mA supply exactly 800mA which is more than needed or does it adjust and output just what is needed ie 500mA?

Requires a different voltage when USB powered… USB voltage! (5V)

Hi Magnus.
I have the Allo DigiOne Sig (on a RPi3), Singxer SU-1 (now sold), Singxer SU-6, Gustard U16 (DDC).
IMHO: Allo DigiOne Sig and Singxer SU-1 are similar … The DigiOne Sig with a TeraDak U9 LPS is better (it’s not a big gap) for SQ.
The Singer SU-6 has a worthy gap over the DigiOne Sig, SU-1, U-16. With the SU-6 there is no need to think about LPS as it has a super capacitor (SC) and the power supply just tops-up the SC.
All that said the Gustard U16 is the best value for money and IMHO betters the SU-1 and DigiOne Sig for sound quality.
The Point: All sound better than USB from a RPi3/NUC into a DAC.
(note to forum: the last comment is not to down USB, it’s to answer Magnus’s question. USB can sound great … some DAC/Streamers handle USB better than others) I do hear the difference in adding a DDC and/or Streamer in most cases… so fare. Yet, feel the future will be with Ethernet and USB (for digital implementation).

Yes, I agree, USB straight from computer is far from optimal. USB straight from Raspberry 4 is better, but it gets improved even further by my DIYINHK Pro3Z which I run on battery and has the VBUS power turned off. I imagine a Singxer SU-6 would improve it even more, but thats much more expensive.

If my DAC had I2S input I would go for a Singxer SU-6 or Matrix X-SPDIF, but for my current DAC and setiup the small (and somewhat ugly) Pro3Z works perfect.

Am sure the Pro3Z is a good product (not heard it myself). Just to add… The Allo USBridge Signature = Ethernet IN with USB OUT to DAC is a step up. The Allo USBridge Signature + LPS + Singxer SU-6 is amazing. IMHO a clean signal all the way yields results. The SU-6 is a keeper (my last DDC !!!) yet would not be unhappy with the U-16.

Have fun with the music.

Hi.

Did those with the following issues ever resolve them:

1. Playback of 48kHz family material at 768kHz into a Spring Mk1 DAC.

2. The apparent channel swap when playing DSD into a Spring Mk2 DAC

?

Thanks for any guidance on this.
My X-SPDIF 2 in on the way from Magna Hifi to use with my Spring Mk1 (hopefully to replace my modified SU-1 DDC and tap into the so-far-untried DAC’s 705k or 768k capability).

If I connect the X-SPDIF 2 to my active speakers via AES will I be able to use the digital volume control in Roon?

You will be able to use the DSP volume in Roon. But that may also result in the signal path telling you it is not bit perfect.

Hi, I recently procured a nucleus rev 1 (with latest firmware). It is connected to my X Spdif 2 via Mad Scientist Black Magic USB. The SPDIF 2 is then outputting via i2s (WireWorld Silver Starlight HDMI) to my Rockna Wavedream dac. Before the Nucleus I was using a Surface Pro as the source. When I connected the Spdif 2 to the Nucleus it automatically detected it, however it is only allowing DSD up to 128, that is all that is appearing in the Roon DSD drop down. I believe the Rockna and the Wavedream allow DSD 512 via HDMI (i2s). Wondering if anyone more switched on than me can help solve this problem to get me to atleast 256 if not 512. thanks

This was “resolved” by the discovery that the Spring Mk1 does not have a 48k DSD oscillator. Subsequently Jussi has provided a 48k DSD box in HQP. If you tick it then you get 48k rates, if you leave it unticked, you only get 44.1k rates. I leave it unticked. The only problem is I can’t use integer filters like closed-form from a 48k source. Other filters will usually sync to a 44.1k multiple.

The Spring Mk2 has a 48k DSD oscillator.

1 Like

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, Andrew, much appreciated.

128k is the limit for DSD via Linux unless Rockna have produced a patch that enables native DSD operation.

How can I ensure the best fidelity using this? I don’t have a LPS for it or battery.
What is soemthing cheap and competent for this device.
I usb In to optical out as I prefer my chord dac running optical