Matrix Element S

Thanks for the info. That’s really good to know. Matrix Audio builds some great devices. I have their Element X which still sounds great. Also, the price of the Element S is very competitive for the specs of the device. In comparison, the Hiifi Rose 130 is going to cost in excess of $6000. I was waiting for the PS Audio Airlens, but will be happy with the Element S.

1 Like

I can absolutely recommend the Matrix Element S, and I have tested both the USB and I2S outputs with the DS DAC MK2. At the moment I’m using the MA app for streaming Qobuz which works fine. Actually, I prefer the sound from USB over I2S in my system. But great to have both alternatives. The sound from I2S is incredibly detailed and precise, while USB is a bit more pleasant and warm to my ears. The only downside right now is that the Element is not Roon certified. I hope the certification will be ready soon!

1 Like

I received the Matrix Element S a few days ago. Im using it with the PS Audio DS mkii dac through i2s connection. The Element S was easy to set up, and hooked up to DS Dac without any problems. It has excellent, clean sound using Airplay, and the screen is a nice touch.

Does anyone have any updates regarding the Roon certification process?

Thanks!

Hello all,
I am also a Matrix Element S owner. I am currently using its USB to Denafrips Iris DDC to Venus 2 i2s. Sounds amazing. I am very happy with the streamer. I am having issues with Qobuz loosing its connection and then have to log back in after long listening sessions. This happens with the MA app.
I am glad to hear that one of the owners found the sound quality better than the very popular Ever solo.

Regards
Jeff

1 Like

When i use Airplay through Roon the Element S will sporadically experience s droupout in the sound for 1-2 seconds on a track and then the sound comes back. It happens randomly. The Element S is hooked up through the Lan, not wifi. I’m using it with a PS Audio DS mkii through i2s. Has anyone experienced similar dropouts using the Element S? Thanks, James

It has been over three months since the Matix Element S was released. Still not Roon Certified.

1 Like

I can’t understand what might be holding up Roon certification. Matrix has many other models that are certified and both companies must have a lot experience and expertise working together. I hope Matrix is working to address the bugs Roon supposedly pointed out and that we can see Roon certification soon.

The delay is kind of embarrassing for both companies really. This should be a slam dunk and instead it’s turning into unnecessary frustration for customers and users.

Roon lost their hardware person looking after certification and been playing catch-up drafting in support to help at times not sure if they have a replacement in now or not. I imagine this might be a factor due to backlog or it’s just not coming up to scratch. Just because others have certification doesn’t mean all newer models will pass first time or as smoothly.

PS Audio makes a similar product called AirLens to Element S. According to PSA’s CEO, they are not selling it until AirLens is Roon Certified. (There is a discussion about this unreleased streamer on PS Audio’s forum with over 4000 posts.) Had MA done the same and waited (to sell), both embarrassment to the manufacturer and frustration to the customers could have been avoided.

Based on the info above from @Enrico_Castagnetti and @Simon_Arnold3, it’s likely the certification delay is on Roon.

2 Likes

I totally agree. Matrix advertised it as “Roon Ready” and even included a Roon membership coupon. This was 3 months ago. Totally frustrating. PS Audio doing the right thing by holding back it’s AirLens until it gets the Roon Certification.

Matrix Audio did Not advertise it as Roon Ready. It clearly shows since day 1 of release a note below the Roon Ready logo that says “Under Certification Test”, same note showing in the recently released mini-i 4 Series.

They did advertise it as Roon Ready and included a Roon membership with the streamer. In fact it comes up as Roon Ready in the Roon app but with a notice that it is not yet certified.

I just visited MA’s forum. There are two separate areas, one in Chinese and another in English.

Based on a reply post by the forum admin in Chinese on July 28th, there is problem with firmware 1.0.3, and device need to be downgraded to 1.0.2. Even with the 1.0.2, there may still be problem with DSD output via USB, and it need to be set to Native, because when in DoP mode, it can’t play DSD256 and 512.

Another post in English someone said MA is expected to fix the problem by the end of July.

Here’s the admin’s original post, which I have translated above, but you can run it through an online translator of your choice if you like.

您好,前面写的信息有点不准确,已经更正。
如果您之前升级到1.0.3了,则需要回复到1.0.2。如果现在就是1.0.2,暂时是不需要再操作了。
如果您说的在当前1.0.2版本,遇到播放DSD的问题,请检查一下,USB接口的DSD输出方式,是否设置为Native,DoP方式无法播放DSD256和DSD512。

1 Like

Thanks. I successfully updated to firmware 1.03, but no roon certification yet. Please let us know if you hear anything on the Matrix forums. Best regards.

I predict that Roon Certification will arrive on or before the next Chinese New Year on February 10, 2024.

1 Like

I grabbed this screen capture from Matrix Audio’s forum.

2 Likes

It has been over four months since the Matrix Element S has been released. Still not Roon Certified.

1 Like

It took 8 months for the ARCAM ST60 to get Roon Certified. Matrix Audio devices are ones of the fastest to get Roon Certification so be patient…

1 Like

The small bug turned out to be a Volkswagon Beetle.

2 Likes

As an owner of another Matrix Audio product that I like, I feel bad for folks who bought a pre-Roon Ready Element S and are still waiting for the cert to pass.

Here’s the latest response from the manufacturer:
Hello, sorry for giving you an unpleasant experience.
We are working on solving technical issues encountered during testing. Please give us some more time and thank you for your support!

1 Like