Max volume at start - can't control volume from software [Ticket In]

Hi All,

We’ve just released a fix to this issue with the latest production build, which also includes the compatibility of Airplay 2.

I hope this solves the issue and set you up properly to get back to the music! :notes:

Release notes are here

Hi!

Installed the update but still the same issue

Same here. Still not working with AirPlay.

Hi @Ulf_Silbersky and @Jesper_Burman,

Can you also reboot your Roon Server twice and let me know if your issues persist?

Tried to reboot twice and it makes no difference. Still the same problem.

I also tried reboot twice, the issue remains

Thanks for the update, @Jesper_Burman I see it only occurring from an iPhone, does it occur across all devices? And @Ulf_Silbersky it seems to only occur from the system output of your Mac, is that correct? Can you still produce across any device?

No, it occurs on Macmini, Mac and iPhone. The issue is when I try using Airplay on Beoplay A9 2nd gen. I have setup the Beoplay as a network device.

I choose the B&W Airplay speaker as an end in the Roon app on my computer where Roon is installed. I don’t understand “from an iPhone”. Do you mean that I choose the iPone as an end and then just play through my B&W Airplay speaker? Cause that works just fine. The issue, as I see it, is within the app to be able to control the volume of my Airplay speakers. There is no control, just maximum volume (I’ve not chosen fixed volume in the settings for my speakers).

I have tried to set fixed volume but that makes no difference.

Thanks for the follow-up @Ulf_Silbersky and @Jesper_Burman.

If you’re able to safely reproduce without outputting any actual volume, our dev team is interested in the following:

1. Could you please share a screenshot, or even better, a video of the issue specifically with the Roon volume slider, when your issue occurs?

2. Have you also tested out using the compatibility toggle for airplay within the device settings of your endpoints? Click the speaker icon>cogwheel>device setup>show advanced.

The issue has been since November 2023 and I’ve repeatedly answered all your questions but why asking me to play on the speaker at full volume while recording a video for you? What will it help but risking of damaging the speaker? The issue doesn’t “occur” it’s permanent. The volume can not be controlled at all. I have tested to switch the compatibility toggle and it doesn’t make any change.

The request was the opposite:

For instance, if you can turn off the amp or unplug the speaker cables, this would be a safe way to reproduce. I don’t know if there is any such way with your setup

Ok, sorry then. But as I connect to the speaker wireless (AirPlay) it doesn’t shows if I unplug it. As it is an AirPlay problem there is no speaker cables. I can’t see how I can share a screenshot or a video better than this. I just stopped playing the intro of a song at max volume though the level is set to 1.

Thank you @Jesper_Burman! I’ll share your info with our developers and hope to have more to share this week. :pray:

Hi @Jesper_Burman,

Our development team is curious about the following:

First, try to connect airplay via another service and check the volume level, set it low, and then move over to roon and see what the volume is set to. You don’t have to play any actual audio for this test, we’re only interested in what the settings look like.

Our team is still attempting reproduction in house, and this information may be helpful in the investigation. Thanks!

The volume setting on my computer when connecting to speaker by AirPlay doesn’t influence the setting on Roon. I have tried on volume level “1” on Roon and it’s maximum volume independently of how I change the settings on my computer playing ie from Tidal. But as I understand it Roon connects directly to my AirPlay speaker as an end and I can also play another tune through system output with a different volume setting. Correct? That is how it used to work before November last year if I remember correctly.

Hi @Jesper_Burman,

This is correct.

If you open the Tidal app directly and connect your airplay devices in a similar fashion, there is no issue, correct? Using your Mac, what happens if you jump from the Tidal app over to Roon?

With that, if you set the volume low using your iPhone as the only Roon remote, your issues still occur on the latest release? This is with your airplay devices connected directly to Roon, not through the system output of your iPhone.

No issues when using Tidal. If I, on my Mac, go from Tidal to Roon it’s max volume from Roon. No difference if I use my iPhone as a remote playing directly from Roon. Roon has severe issues with AirPlay devices in mine and others setup. If it works for others would be interesting so we could isolate the problem. How come, in your setup and when you try, there is no issue?