[Maybe fixed after reboot] V1.7 (build 537) on new iMac 2019 with Catalina spinning cpus for days and doing vast amounts of I/O

UPDATE: Rebooting the Mac for the first time since updating to 1.7 Build 537 might have fixed it - Roon load has now dropped from 270% to 1-30% CPU! Also has fixed the missing devices on some clients. Maybe that’s all that is needed - I’ll keep an eye on it and let you know.

My Roon server instance on a new iMac 2019 21.5" running Catalina has been running hot since updating - today it has used 55 hours of cpu time in the Roon executable and 16 hours in RAATServer - similar yesterday - even though I’m not actually playing any music. Does this mean it is still updating the database in the background, or has it gone wrong? On average Roon is using 270% CPU and RAATServer 98% CPU, continuously. Closing the UI with cmd-W makes no difference to the cpu load in either process.

I tried adjusting “Background Audio Analysis Speed” to “Throttled” in case it was that but it made no difference.

The other weird thing I see is that Roon has received 510 GB today and RAATServer has sent 23 GB and received 32 GB today, but I’m playing no music.

In addition, from some clients, none of the audio devices known to the core appear.

Let me know what other info you need! Thank you! Hope all are well at Roon (virtual) HQ.

Server spec:
Roon 1.7 (build 537)
macOS Catalina 10.15.4
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)
Processor: 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

1 Like

It is known; I have reported this before. There is a change now compared to previously when I got 400%+ CPU, now it seems to just go close to full speed on one core - but now the GPU is of the charts in addition. Result = the fans on my iMac Pro goes wild.

I think the main problem is Mono (open source .net framework) and the Apple T2 chip (relating CPU).

Edit:
Running only Roon remote on my iMac gives same result.

1 Like

Thanks but I think my issue is different, and is specific to this new build - cpu load is very high but gpu load is <1% (although it adds up - 4 hours of gpu time today, but nothing compared to 55 hours of cpu time); Roon server is keeping multiple cpu cores busy all day even when playing no music - it has 170 threads running. I noticed it because I started hearing the fans continually from another room, whereas normally this room is silent.

The other weird thing I see is that Roon has received 510 GB today and RAATServer has sent 23 GB and received 32 GB today, but I’m playing no music.

Hi @pcwilliams,

Glad to hear that the reboot helped with this issue! If this behavior re-occurs, can you please try toggling your WiFi adapter on the Mac on/off and see if that helps without the reboot?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.