Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa

Those people who have witnessed my rants about uber-expensive audiophoolishness and addons in general, will recognize how painful this post is for me.

On a whim I bought this power cable for my monoblocks -

It seems to make a difference. I am not fluent enough in audio speak to describe the difference, other than to say the music seems to have more presence and seems to be more dynamic.

I may be fooling myself, but the price is right if anyone wants to try it for themselves. Also, they look bitchin’.

There I’ve said it, bring it on.:laughing:

6 Likes

Never noticed Slim… :roll_eyes:… :grin:

What mono’s are you using? Are the mono’s fed from your iDAC2 at the moment?

1 Like

Vidar monoblocks, not high end compared to some of the equipment in this forum, but they suit me.

The monoblocks are fed by the iDAC2, temporarily. Soon to be fed by the Pro iDSD, which I’ve been procrastinating about buying.

No! No! No! Nooooooo! :sob:

2 Likes

Ah, but did you do a double-blind test? It’s the only way to be absolutely sure that you aren’t fooling yourself…

1 Like

Nice. I bet these drive the superb Triton Fives really well.

1 Like

Yeah, don’t care. I think, mostly I bought them because the price was right and I liked the looks. The potential self-delusion is just an extra bonus.:grinning:

6 Likes

As a DAC only (putting aside headphone amp), iFi still rate the iDAC2 as their 2nd best DAC in their entire lineup… and I agree with them. I’ve either owned or home demo’ed the entire lineup :grin:

Keep enjoying it. It’s very good. It does perform better with a quality USB source but you have that covered with the iUSB3.0 already.

I can’t remember if I asked you before - but can you demo the Pro iDSD at home for 30 days, risk free?

AudioAdvisor.com and MusicDirect.com have 30 day returns. Agree about iDAC2 being better than iDSD.

Very close to pulling the iDSD Pro trigger.

Feet of clay…

2 Likes

Nice, does Amazon also, in the US?

Newish review (if your eyes can handle their site layout / formatting)

http://6moons.com/audioreviews2/ifi/1.html

Yeah, but Amazon charges tax and I don’t think the others do. An important consideration in the land of taxes, upstate NY.

Read enuf reviews, you’ve already convinced me.

1 Like

Ouch, that one hurt. Still, full disclosure cleanseth the soul.

2 Likes

Ha my apologies.

If you wait a few more weeks for the MQA firmware update (and any other bug fixes that come with it, not that I have seen any bugs at my end) then you should be able to home demo the full 30 days with MQA (if that interests you) and any fixes that may come with that update.

They said Sep/Oct.

1 Like

Sigh of relief. I thought you’d gone over to the dark side for a moment! :wink:

3 Likes

I assume you bought the directional cable model… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Depending on how your power and signal cables are organized, it could be simply because signal cables are taking up less interference because of the shielded power cable. For example, replacing the Schiit-provided power cable for my Lyr-3 by a shielded Shunyata cable I had got rid of a slight hum at high gain. Power cables radiate not just at AC frequencies (50-60Hz depending on country) but also higher frequencies from other causes, such as switching power supplies, electric motors, …

An alternative to pricier cables is to carefully separate power and signal cables, but sometimes that is not so easy to achieve. For the Lyr-3, I ended up with Shunyata cable and a separator to keep the power cable away from the incoming analog RCA cables. Dead quiet now.

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning that! I own the iDAC2 and have always been curious about those comments from iFi vs the idea that the Black Label at DSD512 measures far better. Switching to DSD512 would likely require an upgrade, and possibly introduce issues, and I’m not trying to measure anything anyway (or spend any money!) :laughing: I’ve only got about 5k in my little system so I feel the price/performance level of the iDAC2 is a good match.

1 Like

I have the pre-cursor to the BL iDSD, the iDSD. I can’t keep the bloody battery charged, even tho it’s always plugged in. Playing DSD512 runs it down in about 1/2 hour. Real pain in the ass.

It’s for sale, if you’re interested.:laughing:

1 Like

Hahaha. Yeah the fact that I only do 2ch stereo and no headphones sealed the deal for me. I’m eyeing the Pro as well but I know it would start a whole new upgrade cycle all the way to speakers and amp so I am holding out for now!

2 Likes