Media Loading Slowly in Grouped Mode (only when ELAC Discovery in the Group

Roon Core Machine

NUC7i5BNH 16GB 250 GB SSD connected via ethernet
Local Files stored on a Synology NAS (ethernet)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ORBI Mesh Network (Router and 1 Satellite)

Connected Audio Devices

Several wired streaming front ends
Several wireless Roon Ready endpoint speakers (2x ELAC Discovery, Bluesound Pulse and Pulse Flex, B+W Formation Flex)
Many other devices, all managed with static IPs

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Recent behavior. When grouping zones to play to wireless Roon Ready endpoints, there are no issues until I add in two ELAC Discovery speakers, at which point media will not load (get “Qobuz/Tidal media loading slowly” messages followed by multiple skips and then full stop; similar behavior with local music). Less frequently, the ELAC speakers will exhibit the same behavior if used independently or grouped together. Network architecture seems reasonably sound, I set up all my devices to have reserved/static IPs. Have tried rebooting all network hardware and all speakers, issue persists. I am surmising there is something about the ELACs which don’t want to play nice with the other speakers, but looking for any ideas before boxing them up and sending them back.

Thanks,
D

Bump. Any help?

Bump. @support

Also now noting that my B+W formation flex gets out of sync with my other speakers while doing grouped streaming.

Hi @Dajokr, when playing to a group if one endpoint is having trouble it can definitely cause playback to stop. Since you’re seeing this happen even with the ELAC speakers individually, I’m guessing that something is happening with the connection here.

Are the Elac devices connected in a way that’s any different from the other devices? Or maybe it’s in a location further from the router/satellite?

Are you able to try an Ethernet connection temporarily to see if that helps?

Hi there @dylan,

Appreciate the response. The ELAC devices are not connected differently - they are wireless like the others. I have several Roon Ready endpoint speakers on the same network - two Bluesound, one B+W (Formation Flex), and the two ELAC discoveries. The ELAC are no more remote than any of the others, and I have excellent WiFi coverage through the house with the ORBI router and satellite.

I would expect that the ELAC would have no issues with ethernet connections, though that’s not currently a permanent option. I did run long cables to test, and confirmed this. I also swapped the ELACs with other speaker locations - put the Bluesound where the ELACs were and vice versa. What this confirmed is that the ELACs are the issue, which is what the evidence was pointing to all along.

I guess what I’m trying to determine is why the ELACs, a Roon Ready device, are struggling where other manufacturers’ devices are able to cope with the same network setup (with the exception of a different issue with the B+W, which I’ll come back to in a moment). Are you able to look at logs and find out if there is something going on with my particular setup leading to these issues?

On the B+W, the Formation Flex is getting a second or two out of sync with the stream, which is locked in on the other speakers. Any suggestions here? I would have thought this wasn’t possible based on the way Roon transmits over the network, but I’m obviously wrong about that.

Thanks again for the help.
Cheers, D

Bump @dylan

Are you referring to the Elac Discovery Z3 speakers. If so I have 2 that work perfectly with Ethernet.

Have you tried them with Ethernet or do you have the option of using Ethernet at their desired locations?

I used Wi-Fi for the first Z3 and it worked well most of the time but I’ve read posts that indicated issues with the Wi-Fi performance. As I recall they only recognized the 2.4 band and not the 5G band.

Edit: I see you answered my connectivity question already after reading further down the post.

I am now assuming that these are basically lemons as-built for Wi-Fi streaming. I don’t know how things work in certifying components Roon Ready, but one wonders how they achieved such certification with these issues. Of course multiple requests from Elac customer service and nothing but silence. $1000 down the tubes for components that don’t work as advertised.

@dylan can you help???

And still hoping for help with the B+W sync issue. @support @dylan

Bump. @dylan

First time I’ve needed substantial help in years of being a Roon user and not at all feeling the love here.

Looks like the @support tag no longer active?

Hi @Dajokr ,

Can you please confirm this setting from Networking Best Practices Guide?

Netgear Orbi Routers

If you’re making use of an Orbi router, we recommend unchecking Disable IGMP Proxying in your router’s settings. This setting can interfere with the ability for Roon Remotes to connect to the Roon Core.

If the behavior is still the same after making the router change, can you please note the exact local time + date + track the issue occurs (when not in a grouped zone) and then use these instructions to send us a set of your Roon logs? Thanks!

1 Like

I have Elac Discovery Z3s in my setup and had issues connecting them via WiFi. The quality of the WiFi module (2.4 kHz only) appears to be bad in comparison to other streaming devices. My solution was to install a mesh slave router close to the Z3s and connected them via Ethernet to the mesh router. Problem solved (Fritz mesh system FWIW)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.