Melco £1999 ethernet switch

Timing/phase aspects and psychoacoustics … as stated earlier, for audio applications (like RAAT, which is TCP-based), Ethernet is completely frame asynchronous; there is no clock. You are simply throwing out buzzwords, in this context.

For an Ethernet switch, there is no audio-specific better shaped packets (traffic shaping), unless you configure QoS based on DSCP classification and RAAT is also setting the right flag (DSCP marking). Of course, you could set a QoS priority for a given port range (e.g. RAAT uses, I think, TCP 9100-9200).

My $47.00 Netgear supports all of the above, which is really designed for VoIP and video conferencing in densely populated Ethernet environments.

But what’s the point? Your home network isn’t a densely populated Ethernet environment and audio data payloads are trivial.

For everyone else, if you are reading this thread and wonder if you need a $2,000 switch to get the most out of Roon, I can assure you that the switch linked below will do everything you need and sound exactly the same as the $2,000 Melco; spend the extra money supporting your favorite artists and buy more music.

15 Likes

OK giving up here… Ciao

3 Likes

Try audiophilestyle, there’s a ready made audience craving confirmation bias on just about every pseudo product catering to near on all audiophool predilections known to man, especially those that science cannot measure. Also unlikely to encounter any challenge, only confirmation.

7 Likes

Actually, it wasn’t. It was used to depict sophistication when selling the British-brewed lager to the masses who thought they were getting something special. Ironic really.

I’m pretty sure you’re aware of the fact that I wasn’t referring to the people who COINED said phrase. I was clearly referring to your restaurant analogy in the context of this thread. Maybe you were trying to be funny, but you definitely did NOT use your analogy “in a humorous context”. Your point seems to be that it doesn’t make sense if people criticize/reject something that they’ve never even tried. My answer to that is that there’re lots of things in life we don’t have to try to know they aren’t worth it…

To cut a long story short, there’s no ethernet switch that is worth 2000 quid (at least not from a sound quality perspective)…

8 Likes

Over in this thread, @Mark_Brown points out that you can disconnect the ethernet cable from your overpriced ethernet switch, and the music will continue to play (until the buffer is exhausted).

So, my question to you is: when you disconnect the ethernet cable does the SQ

• improve,
  • get worse or
  • stay the same?

Even better, have a friend connect/disconnect the cable and see whether you can “hear” whether it is connected or not.

5 Likes

Can we at least agree that fish and other assorted seafood make for a great dinner?

8 Likes

your’e not supposed to disconnect the cable image

not sure oysters measure that good on an oscilloscope :stuck_out_tongue:

Mine cost £500. Try and keep up…

I dunno. After seeing this, I have real doubts.

I have found the exchanges here incredible. I share a perspective on a new product that has been well received elsewhere. What do I get? A steam of bile from folks who have never heard one, have no interest in what is effectively a free trial program from the manufacturer, and yet somehow “know better”. If everyone shared these attitudes, there’d be no air travel, no Teflon, no modern medicine.

You stick with your pasta, fellas, and I will enjoy my lobster and shrimp

4 Likes

3n9wl4

You forgot to highlight the pertinent part; as a rule Artois export isn’t available in the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/192166.stm

No, it’s because we share these attitudes (values) that there is air travel, Teflon and modern medicine. All these things stand up to scientific enquiry. The $2,000 Ethernet switch does not!

6 Likes

No fish for me, but shellfish is good…@rbm

My Netgear and Linksys switches work fine too.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BVYT3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have you heard one, Martin. No? So how do you know?

Does it have an internal DAC? :rofl:

More than a thousand customers heard it and they are happy for sure.

Sorry, the penny’s just dropped. You’re superhuman and can read minds as well as hear what cannot be explained by science.

But to answer your question, yes I’ve heard quite a few switches thank you. They have no audible impact.

Horse, flog, dead come to mind.

1 Like