Melco £1999 ethernet switch

I read part of this thread. As many are, this one is complete waste of time. You basically have 3 sides

1. I don’t see how it can possibly make a difference therefore it can’t possibly make a difference therefore you are a fool to buy one, and no, I will not waste my time trying it because like I said, it can’t possibly make a difference

2. I’ve tried it and it does make a difference

3. I tried it and I don’t hear any difference

those in group 1 can be ignored

then the back and forth adnausem with nothing new ever said, just a constant Pee Wee Herman “I know you are but what am I” argument

I would like to point out that the “scientific” analysis of the EtherRegen was obviously gone into with the idea that he would prove it did nothing, and surprise !!! that’s what he proved. I would also like to point out that taking a few measurements at a few specific fixed frequencies while measuring the analog output of a $1000 DAC just might not be the most definitive tests ever devised to determine how something affects the sound.

So am I in camp 2 or 3. It doesn’t make any difference because everyone’s mind was made up going in, just like the “scientific” analysis guy.

There are some things in this hobby that make a difference when there are logical arguments that say they should not. In those cases all we can do is try it. Believe it or not, there really are things that are not completely understood despite the so called experts saying they know everything there is to know about something.

4 Likes

I’ve read a few group 2 posts. What I keep waiting to see is someone who says:

2A. I tried and I can tell a difference even in a blind test.

It baffles me that among so many enthusiastic evangelists for these devices that not one single person seems to have tried the obvious here. Demonstrate that it makes a difference. If you truly find these discussions tedious that would be a great way to quiet the skeptics and detractors.

2 Likes

What baffles me is so many here will argue and argue about something they believe to be true despite having no actual experience with it.

and the subject of so called blind tests is so contentious that even mentioning them on some forums is forbidden. My point being, you can do all the blind tests you want and there will still be those who won’t accept the results.

I am thinking about trying the EtherRegen because , unless Uptone consists of a bunch of liars, despite a money back guarantee they have a return rate of less than 1%. If everybody (almost) that buys one is happy with it doesn’t that prove something? I assume if you have a Melco dealer they would let you try one. So what do you have to lose other than the time you spent trying it and the postage to send it back?

4 Likes

only by those who fear the result

3 Likes

Well for me, personally, it would be a huge downgrade from my current network hardware. But, fundamentally, I know enough about how ethernet works to know it’s not worth my time. The same reason I’ve never tested out cable risers on my speaker cables.

2 Likes

Their blurb is a garble of impressive sounding words and the sentences they formed out of those words don’t carry any scientific meaning if that tells you anything.

Who guarantees me that I would actually get my money back? That company is US based. As a European I have no realistic means of recovering my money if they refuse to pay back.

According to them. I have no access to their books. They can claim whatever they want. No one can verify the veracity of this claim.

Again, according to them. Again, this is an unverifiable claim. For all we kow, they’ve sold only a few.

If you believe everything that’s on their website, PM me. I’ve got some historical landmarks, a few gold mines and some real estate on the moon for sale.

2 Likes

Mr. Daman, they have been around for a few years, If they were in the business of ripping people off I think we would have heard about it by now. And you are right, at some point you have to have a bit of trust, we don’t know what the actual figures are, but for every person here who says that it can’t possibly work because I’m very knowledgeable about networks and know what I’m talking about, there are many more who claim they hear good results. And come to think of it, I’m not sure, but don’t recall anybody saying they tried it and it didn’t work. Only those saying that it can’t possibly work. So who is a better person to believe? The person who says I tried it and I like it, or the person who says I haven’t tried and will not try it but you can believe me, it doesn’t work.

concerning blind tests

I’m sorry but it is a bit more complicated than that. If it were all that simple they would be the gold standard and all of these seemingly endless debates, no, strike that, they are endless debates would cease.

so Mr. Nugget, I see you are in group 1, to quote myself

“1. I don’t see how it can possibly make a difference therefore it can’t possibly make a difference therefore you are a fool to buy one, and no, I will not waste my time trying it because like I said, it can’t possibly make a difference”

You are very fortunate to have such an in-depth understanding that you can tell how things will sound without even trying them. And the response will be I don’t have to try things that are obviously not going to work. And somebody else responds you can’t say that unless you’ve tried it, and we are down yet another rabbit hole of a pointless, endless debate

enjoy, I’m moving on to the next topic about sound that can’t possibly be resolved by the written word

3 Likes

So perform a blind test and shut us all up. Until someone does there’s absolutely no reason to believe this device will have any impact.

2 Likes

double blind tests ARE the gold standard in scientfic environments
but I understand, they are not in the esoteric area

2 Likes

Well, you won’t hear about it if you won’t listen to others.

Funny, did you already read this thread? :rofl:

1 Like

Ethernet switches do not have “a sound.” There is no “sound” of an ethernet switch to listen to. No audio is transported over ethernet, only data. Do you need to listen to how a FedEx truck sounds compared to how a UPS truck sounds when listening to a CD they delivered from Amazon? I presume you’re comfortably in “group 1” on that question, right?

4 Likes

I agree with you. With one exception. There are only two groups:

1 - Those who just know. They don’t need to try. They know

2 - Those who try

Cheers!

3 Likes

Yes, there are two groups. Those tilting at windmills and those that don’t give a …

so far there have been 4 batches of 250 units each
in the dedicated “listening impressions” thread on AS there’s been just one customers reporting it didn’t make a difference and he was sending it back for refund, but another customer bought it right-away

once more: science is all about trials, doubts, curiosity, research of the unknown (what is happening with CoVid is in front of everyone’s eyes)
what “scientists” here call science actually is their own religion: “The Holy Book” says it can’t be!". This is what a priest, not a scientist, says :roll_eyes:

You completely miss the point, it is the responsibility of those selling to either do the science or demonstrate that their products make an improvement. Presently none back up their marketing claims which are woolly and keep them on the right side of the law regarding mis-selling.

1 Like

You quote unverifiable data here.

And here as well.

It’s not good science to take this kind of assertions on a forum at face value. Anyone can write “I bought one and it’s great”. Unless they upload a copy of the invoice, there’s no way to verify.

and unless they prove they’re not everyone attacking one of these devices, here, is paid by some competitor

oh, please! :roll_eyes:

A healthy dose of sceptiscism has never hurt anyone.

A healthy dose of brain exercise keeps those neurons flowing. It is up to the one making the claim to support the claim with a sound explanation. Random buzz words are not a sound explanation.

A hammer is a hammer, regardless of the price. It will do the job it’s intended for.

Then someone comes along and says the problem with hammers is that the hammerheads rust. Never mind that they still work as intended, there’s rust. My oh my, what are we going to do about the rust? I know, let’s make a titanium hammerhead. No more rust.

Just ignore that titanium is too light to make an effective hammerhead (in EtherRegen terms: throttles down your connection speed by a factor of 10), the rust problem is solved.

Not the most perfect analogy, but it’ll do.

1 Like

Are you the second group? The one the does not give a …? Then why are you constantly in Internet forums denouncing these kind of things? Or is this what you really enjoy?

Or is it some other hidden agenda? Maybe a competitor or paid entity then?