Melco £1999 ethernet switch

I have found the exchanges here incredible. I share a perspective on a new product that has been well received elsewhere. What do I get? A steam of bile from folks who have never heard one, have no interest in what is effectively a free trial program from the manufacturer, and yet somehow “know better”. If everyone shared these attitudes, there’d be no air travel, no Teflon, no modern medicine.

You stick with your pasta, fellas, and I will enjoy my lobster and shrimp

4 Likes

3n9wl4

You forgot to highlight the pertinent part; as a rule Artois export isn’t available in the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/192166.stm

No, it’s because we share these attitudes (values) that there is air travel, Teflon and modern medicine. All these things stand up to scientific enquiry. The $2,000 Ethernet switch does not!

6 Likes

No fish for me, but shellfish is good…@rbm

My Netgear and Linksys switches work fine too.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BVYT3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have you heard one, Martin. No? So how do you know?

Does it have an internal DAC? :rofl:

More than a thousand customers heard it and they are happy for sure.

Sorry, the penny’s just dropped. You’re superhuman and can read minds as well as hear what cannot be explained by science.

But to answer your question, yes I’ve heard quite a few switches thank you. They have no audible impact.

Horse, flog, dead come to mind.

1 Like

So the answer in this case is no, and so you have no valid opinion but continue to dish the bile. Not a good look, I’m afraid.

1 Like

His opinion carries more weight than your subjective musings. One doesn’t need to jump out of a plane with no parachute to know it’s not going to end well. But you might, if Melco built the plane :laughing:

7 Likes

How can you listen to a switch?

2 Likes

Precisely!

You are wasting your time here. Not worth it. Leave it alone. Not worth your mental well-being

Has anyone tried listening through a 10,000 rpm hard drive? It increases the pitch quite a bit but adds a lot more energy and dynamics. All slower rpm hard disks just lack the punch for me now. Don’t get me started on SSD’s! Far too digital for my liking!

3 Likes

Ethernet is a transport protocol, covering the data link layer. It includes error detection/correction. Everything is transported bit perfect. No alterations.

An Ethernet switch is not altering the signal (ie. binary data) it is transporting, which could be anything: Data about sound or spam email.

You don’t need to listen to and try an Ethernet switch to tell it is affecting the SQ in any way. Because that is how Ethernet works.

3 Likes

Add to that: The base clock is 25MHz. Way outside human hearing. UTP cabling means that it’s ground isolated.

Siemons put out a paper called the ‘Antenna Myth’ and T.I. has an excellent white paper on 10/100 Ethernet PHY’s and radiated emissions.

I don’t need to purchase every hammer on the market to know it’s going to hurt when I smack my thumb with it.

1 Like

Ethernet switches are trivial to blind test.

If you don’t already have one, buy a $15 Gigabit switch from Amazon. Hook both it and the EtherRegen up to your home network, placing them both behind a curtain, so that you can’t see which one is hooked up to your Naim streamer.

After familiarizing yourself with how each of them “sounds”, have a friend

• flip a coin behind the curtain
  • unplug the ethernet cable from the switch it’s plugged into and
    • if the coin came up heads, plug it into the $650 switch
    • if it came up tails, plug it into the $15 switch
  • record which one it got plugged into on a sheet of paper

Meanwhile, you record on your sheet of paper which switch you think is hooked up. When you’re done, tell your friend to flip the coin again.

Repeat this 20 times. Then compare the two sheets of paper.

I think we both know what the result will be.

7 Likes

I don’t need to stand on the moon by myself to know that the earth is not flat. Please stop blaming well educated people because they don`t believe in audiophool voodoo.

5 Likes

I copied a Word document from my file server to my PC the other day. When I opened it on my PC my writing had lost some impact and clarity and air between the words. Will this switch fix that?

5 Likes