Merged some new disc to set which set off some problems

Having added all eight volumes of Richard Brautigams Complete Works for Solo Piano, I then added Volume 9. It was not recognizing tracks properly in Volume and asked if I wanted Roon to try to fix things, at which point, many of the previous entires of the previous 8 volumes were scrambled after the merge; not just newly added items, but the items for the ones that were correct. At which point, I deleted all the previous eight volumes (discs) and the new ninth volume, and decided to start again adding them back.

The first thing that I noticed before adding the all the items back again was that even with it all removed, part (not all meaning more than just one disc volume) showed up as Volume 4 (which they weren’t) as unavailable. So I hid the disc, and started adding. I was able to selections from Volume 15, 13, 10 and disc 9 without any problem as separate entries. Then I started to re-add disc (volumes) one through eight starting with volume eight. But immediately noticed that although it was on the source drive, it wasn[t being added to my Roon Library. Seems like after removing it, that first time, I can’t add it back. What is happening that is preventing it from being added. I have spent weeks adding stuff into Roon, over 2000 albums. If I have to start over again, I’ll be more or less ready to give up using Roon. Hoping there is something that I can do try to move forward and get the the rest of this Beethoven set into Roon. How can I begin to troubleshoot this to learn if there is anything I can do to re-add these discs? Is there somewhere in the knowledge base that discusses this problem and what can be done to re-add albums that have become strambled by Roon. It was all correct before I added Volume nine. I know there is nothing wrong with the original eight that now won’t add back into the Library.

Version is 1.6 on an iMac. About 2000 albums installed without issue.

I would like to update my issue. Not sure what I did to change the issue of the files not showing up at all. However, now when I try to add disc 8, it comes in as disc 9, and I have to move each track by merging it from two tracks which it sees as the wrong volume, and move each one by merging to disc (vol) 8.

Getting Volume 8 into the library as Volume eight, took about 30 minutes. After finishing that, I tried to add volume 7 (disc 7) to folder in the watched drive, and it did add it, but it also regarded it as the wrong volume, calling it disc 8 and not number 7 which it is.

Why is this happening. At this rate, it will take me hours and add back all files in the seven volumes. I just don’t understand this. Is there anything thing I do to not have to go through this? And if not, is there something that I can read that will explain this to me, and understand more of the dos and don’ts so that I can avoid this happening again.

Thank you.

After spending hours with the above, I got all the albums into the library, by merging and ordering manually, but with the consequence of having a couple of duplicates showing up as separate entires. I didn’t delete them because it will also delete the tracks from valid disc volume entires (since they are in the same location). So I can live with a few duplicates, and thought I was well on my way to having a situation that I can live with

However, there is not a problem with seeing any PDFs that are added. When I add a PDF now to the entries that appear to be correct, it will NOT show the PDF at all. At first it showed the wrong PDF, now, it won’t show any PDF. I can drag the correct PDFs into the correct folder, but the PDF does not show up at all.

Don’t know what I should do at this point. I am requesting some help from support. Please advise.

Thanking you in advance.

Hi @Richard_Levy,

Apologies for the trouble here! So we can better assist you, can you please share a screenshot of what you’re seeing in Roon for this album? Can you also share a screenshot of this album in it’s storage location?

I tried to reply to Ruby, the moderator, and my email was returned. I am attempting to be patient with the problems I have having but there needs to be, in my humble opinion, some way to reach support more directly than to simply post stuff in the Community Forum, if only to know if the requests for help are getting through. Maybe that’s just me, but when one gets and email from support with advice that one doesn’t understand, and when one wants to direct questions at that tech person, and one’s emails come back, it is quite frustrating to see that the request for clarification doesn’t reach support.

Here is the email that failed to go through. Perhaps it will reach the right person, and that person can back to me to explain a better why to get answers to advice that isn’t clear enough to a novice user. Below please find the email that was failed to send to the support person, Rugby, whose correspondence proved to be confusing at best:

As a novice user, I still don’t understand this concept of cleaning the database, which in my case (please see my posts from last night and this morning), must certainly be having problems with the multi disc set of Ronald Brautigam’s Beethoven Sonatas (and/or as it is sometimes referred to Beethoven’s Complete Pianoforte multi-volume set). I tried to explain that that album volumes didn’t seem to want to import correctly as the correct volume, although the real problem that began to snowball happened when I finally managed to get all the albums entered correctly (by manually indentifying them along with the corresponding tracks. This manual process was done by merging the entries to correct disc and identifying them track by track using your interface where you can manually move the tracks up or down with the updown arrow until every selection was correct and consistent. But the problems again began to happen when trying to merge them together as a set. At one point, even though the individual disc entries appeared to be correct, problems popped up merging them into a single set. So, I deleted them and started over, but still had to manually correct the order of tracks, so that it took hours to fully correct the eight disc set. I had finished all that at about 3am this morning and thought all my troubles were over, but unfortunately I could not add PDF I tried, but when adding a pdf for disc seven it should up as disc six. I removed them but now no PDFs show up for that set, and if I add them, none appear to show in the library, although I can see them in the correct watched folder.

I re-read our comments about cleaning out the album, but I have to tell you that to a novice and looking at the interface, it appears that you are following my brother’s number one Murphy’s Law which is when tech support gives you instructions, they assume you know something about an interface and leave out the one vital piece of information that only a non-novice would know (because it’s seems obvious to the teach the enduser should know that. Here I am referring to your comments about cleaning out the database of the bad entries. What does this actually mean and how is that actually done. I can remove it from the watched folders, but where and how in the interfacer to clean the database of the bad entry. I don’t SEE by looking at the interface where that is done. Is there pace where one can go into the database and clean out a bad entry? And how is that accomplished … actually (as a step by step process). I searched the knowledge base and couldn’t find such this.

Also, I see that all the entries ARE correct in the volumes, track names, artists, and track order look correct. And all the entries show up for each individual disc in a set, but the main entry for the Beethoven set shows as unidentifiable and I can get it recognized by title (Beethoven Complete Sonatas for Solo Piano) but after selecting that and seeing all the volumes showing up under it, Roon still seems to regard it as unidentified, even though all the discs show up under it correctly.

I thought I had fixed everything because of the fact that it now all shows up. However, apparently there are problems that remain because the PDFs for each of the discs will not show up in Roon, even after putting them in the correct folder.

Rugby, you advised me to clean the metadata in the database. However, after looking at the interface and searching the knowledge base, I do not see any procedure to do this. Let me start there, if you will be so kind to explain how that is done. Please, what are the actual steps in that process. How is this accomplished?

I look forward to hearing from you so I can try to understand what procedure I must follow to clean out the these issues. Sadly, I have been been doing manual backups, and haven’t backed stuff up just before adding this Beethoven set. I think my last backup is about 100 albums prior, because everything was working and I decided to finish the day’s imports before running the backup. I realize the error of my ways, but hindsight is 20/20.

So, I am hoping that restoring the previous backup that is shy of about 100 albums isn’t the only way to clean the database and that there is some other type of procedure that you are referring to in your advice to cleaning out the problem entries. If I delete the set that is problematic, what are the steps to removing those entries from the database. All you said was to purge the database of these entries. You didn’t say how to do it.

Thanking you in advice for your clarification.

I noticed that I in previous notes that I didn’t mention my configuration. It’s as follows
3.5 Ghz i7 iMac with High Sierraa with 32GB of Ram.
Watched Drive is only External 2TB SSD G-Tech External.
Roon Version 1.6

By Ruby, i assume you mean @rugby. Herewith flagged.

For the same problem, you should keep all your posts in the same thread, rather than making a new thread every time.

I am also flagging @support for you, since that is the official support staff.

The forum is the only way to get help, either from Roon staff, or also from Roon users. If you stick with it and keep all your posts about a problem in the same thread, then many people will jump in to help.

Not sure what you mean by e-mail. There is no e-mail support, for anyone.

I am confused as to why you might want these screen shots, but here they are If you are looking for something else, let me know. Seems bizarre that you want these, however.

When you mentioned cleaning the database initially, were you talking about running the Library Maintenance “clean up”? Or something else? Should I run that now There are 971 deleted files and 1808 files that are associated with disabled storage locations (since I moved to just an external drive).

This might sound like a silly question to ask if the answer is “Of course!” but then how would a novice being made aware of Library Maintenance. Anyway , should I try that? Or should I wait to have a first response to my post?

Hi @Richard_Levy,

Thanks for the screenshots! Seeing how your files are organized and knowing how things are organized in Roon is definitely helpful to understand what you’re seeing and identify possible issues.

Are these duplicate albums or duplicate tracks showing within the same album? Do you see duplicate files also in your storage location?

If you’re unsure of deleting these extra files, you can use the Hide option so they don’t appear when browsing.

I definitely recommend taking a look at this article if you haven’t yet.

If you move the PDFs to the main album folder rather than the individual vol folders, does this appear for you in Roon?

This contains data for tracks that are associated with the disabled storage location. If you’re not planning on using that disabled storage location in the future, and all of your edits are appearing as expected in Roon, you can run this function, but if you’re not sure you do not need to. If you plan on running Clean Up Library, I recommend making a backup first.

It’s been awhile since I posted my question and received an answer from you but then it took awhile for you to initially bet back to me. When you did, I was further disappointed by the fact that you skipped over the fact that there no duplicates to be found in the watched directory and yet I ended up with duplicates being made in Roon’s import. If you take while to get back to someone who is having a problem, you should at least more carefully read what is sent to you.Above you ask if I see duplicates in the storage location and I’d already made it clear that there were none there. And that was one of the main issues I was asking about. Additionally, I have to say that I didn’t realize the library maintenance had a clean library function (which doesn’t help this particular problem) but reminding me of this would have been useful because I had been told clean the library, and as a new user, I hadn’t realized this function was there and had asked support how to clean the library, and nobody in support mentioned this function was sitting under the settings/Library area. It would be more helpful if someone in support had responded and told me that this is what your suggestion to clean the library was referring to. Which, I need to remind you is often a mistake that tech support reps make (I was one myself and so I know I’ve done it), and that is to assume that when you tell a person looking to do something that they will know how to do it. As tech support reps, we often forget what a newbie doesn’t know, because we know it and seems obvious that they too will know it. Well, I didn’t know about the Library maintenance function, and didn’t know at first how to attempt to clean the library. What I am suggesting, therefore is that when you tell someone they should clean the library up, that you ALSO mention to go to settings and look for that maintenance function so that know what to do to follow that advice. I think that would have been a lot more helpful to me then just telling me to clean the library, because I searched for how to do that, and nothing came up in the knowledge base about that where to find that function, and I had to stumble upon on my own.

Just a suggestion.

Hi @Richard_Levy,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the troubles here.

Regarding Clean Up Library — Generally, the Clean Up Library function is only used in very specific cases, so we like to be a little cautious about directing people there right away, but I totally understand how it can be difficult to find as a new user and I apologize for not being more specific here.

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reach out and again, apologies for the trouble.

Hi Dylan. Thanks for your response.

I currently have been using it every single time I delete something. I assume I should therefore not be doing that. If not, can you be a little more specific about what it is there fore and under conditions it would be acceptable to use it?

See this response from Brian…