Meridian Endpoints losing timing sync

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

all hardwired with Cisco sg-550x switches and watchgaurd router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Meridian 218 and 251 endpoints (5 of them)

Description Of Issue

upon the initial playing of a group of three zones, everything is in sync. After a few songs the timing between zones falls off and there is a delay between the zones. Pausing and Playing again re-syncs the endpoints. What can be done?

I have exactly the same issue which was reported and looked into.

Hi @Jason_Jobe2,

Can you please reproduce this issue, and note the exact local time + date + track it next occurs?

The master bath Meridian 251`, master bedroom 218 with DSP320, study 251, kitchen 218 and MC200 feeding Steinway P200 so all are using sooloos streaming. They were all running together at the beginning and are drifting.

The track is Mercy, Mercy, Mercy and it is at 10:53 Eastern Time.

Hi @Jason_Jobe2,

Thanks for letting me know the timestamp + track.

I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

I can confirm these have been received, and I have requested our technical team to review them, once review is complete, I or another support member will reach out.

Also, I’ve deleted your post regarding the email, spam bots sometimes monitor this forum, so it’s not good to have this info out in public.

Hello @Jason_Jobe2,

Meridian’s zone linking implementation does not include a mechanism for clock drift compensation. We do not recommend using it unless you’re using hardware-based clock slaving to keep things in lock-step.

Here is a quote from our CTO explaining why it is not possible to resynchronize Sooloos zones without restarting the stream:

In Meridian, the clock master is elected by the server, and can’t be changed without breaking the stream. Meridian also doesn’t support drift compensation. The entire flow is very rigid. There’s a good chance that Meridian would be left out of any plans to unify zone linking across technologies as a result of all of this.

Link to full post:

-John

1 Like

Is there a way to add via hardware, or select (in Roon or Meridian) hadrware-based clock slaving? How is that accomplished?

Hello @Jason_Jobe2,

The only way to add hardware-based clock slaving to a Sooloos system is with the discontinued Meridian Media Core 600.

-John

I actually have a Media Core 600 at another residence. I should move it here. What do i need to do to enable?

Jason

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.