Messy fonts in Windows

Seriously, @Jim_F :

you can’t be serious, can you? My eyes hurting me when I’m looking at interface rendering on Windows (and at screenshot you posted as well). And because on macOS it looks fine - there is some font relating bug on Windows.

exampel

Compare it with proper baseline alignment here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseline_(typography)

My glasses? :rofl:

Above example is cropped from your screenshot. Take a closer look at both those lines. The red one supposed to be font baseline. The green one - mean line. And it’s not only about alignment. There is something wrong with spacing and kerning as well.

1 Like

OK, I understand that some people are not sensitive for same things in a same way. Some of us can hear better, some see typos in writing faster, some may work at DTP and this kind of “visual problems” is like a kick in the middle of the face.

Are you using any other client devices, or just this Windows Dell? Other computer (screen) that you can compare with? iPad with retina, or a Mac? I believe when looking side by side you will notice the difference as well.

+1, identical font rendering as in the first post.

It’s not noticeable on a windows 10 laptop with 15.6" 4k panel, but is noticeable on windows 10 desktop with 27" 4k monitor.

Hi @Rugby this bug on Windows is at least one year old!
Will it change anything if we post it in #support ?
@dylan can you look at this:

Check the glyphs alignment to font baseline, spacing and/or kerning. It’s just messy.

This is clearly font-rendering issue on Windows (especially with scaled resolution like 125 or 150%). And not a big deal for some of us. But for others - it’s a bug and it should be fixed…

Hi Barabasz, I think @mike answered your question above, in that the devs are looking at it. Let me link the post…

So, it is already on their radar, I don’t think another support post will further matters quicker.

Cheers,
Daniel

This might be the case @Jim_F. If I understand correctly - you are using 15.6-inch screen laptop with 200% scaling (just guessing). @ezman is using 27", and I’m using 32" monitor - more than twice as size as your screen is. You might not even be able to see this alignment messing. But if you are working as a designer, in CAD/CAE, anything like that - every pixel counts. And in this example glyphs (letters) are misplaced by even 2 pixels from baseline (on 4K with 150% scaling). For me it is a nightmare.

Actually, I am using a 32" inch monitor myself. 2560 x1440 set to 100% scaling. I don’t have any Roon font issues. Although, I am not using integrated graphics I’m using an EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070ti, so that could very well be a difference.

@Rugby I’m also using discrete graphics card but you won’t be able to see the issue with 100% scaling (actually even in that case I can tell that there is something wrong with rendering - but it is not so disturbing). With 100% scaling glyphs displacing are simply smaller than size of one pixel. Try 150% scaling, just for testing sake, and take a close look at a font baseline…

When Im switching from Windows to macOS with the same monitor and same settings - everything looks sharp and clear.

EDIT: sorry, I just realised that you’re using 2560x1440 (I have only 4K). But many people are complaining on this rendering issiue and I beleieve just some of them own 4K monitors. So it’s rather not related to just 4K and scaled-4K. PS: card in my case in also nVidia - GTX 1080.

@Jim_F that’s great it’s not an issue for you. I’m happy you’re happy. But I just proved it to you (using your own screenshot) - that you have this bug as well. You can’t see it but it is. Good for you. But don’t do false-correct reporting. You have this rendering issue. You are not helping in any way.

Please leave this thread for people who suffers from this bug (I’m not the only one).

Another font rendering problem has appeared in roon recently. See images.

So what’s the verdict on build 536 for everyone in regards to the font issue? It’s looking like it might be ok on my problem laptop (I say might, because it wasn’t always obvious). However, the splash screen is definitely still busted:

Whenever the quote is more than one line, it’s clipped. Something was overlooked apparently.

1 Like

Same here, splash screen issue, nothing major but annoying. Everything else seems to have been resolved :grinning:

1 Like

Yep, this is finally resolved for me now as well, apart from the splash screen issue.

2 Likes

Awesome! I’m having this issue too. 4k Monitor at 3840X2160 resolution. At scalings of everything except 150%, it looks fine. 150% is bad, and unfortunately thats the default value window gives to this resolution.
Thanks for working on it.