Metadata for composition dates

Content you’re reporting an issue with

This album is not recognized and I would like to add the composition dates (start date and end date) after tagging the files with custom made fields. How are the correct tags for this? COMPOSITION START DATE and COMPOSITION END DATE do not work.

There is this, not sure if it changed:

Thanks. There are two things mixed - artist info and image and composition data. I use RECORDINGSTARTDATE and RECORDINGENDDATE a lot. I thought there would be an equivalent to it for composition to make this info visible for all the discs that are well tagged but unidentified by Roon.

I know, it mentioned several things, but one of them was the composition date.

I’m actually surprised that composition date is a thing because I would have thought that composition dates are only known for 0.001% of compositions, outside of some very well researched classical composers

1 Like

I guess that the composition dates of classical music are to 95 to 97% known. :wink:

Honestly nearly every composition of a disc that Roon can identify is marked with a date. I do heavy tagging of an well grown library and use AMS and Musicbrainz like Roon for data.

Ok, I see now that I checked, they have years. I am not a classical person and for me the idea that someone knows on which day a rock musician sat in a coffee shop and wrote a song is intuitively alien :slight_smile:

1 Like

@connor

Can You or other members from the staff enlighten me, please.

These are fields in Roon’s Composition editor - I don’t believe that there is any equivalent for them in file tag metadata schemas.

You need to use Roon’s Composition editor in the Composition browser to add this information into your compositions.

1 Like

Thank You, that is a good hint. I never used the composition browser.

But it would be nice if the official staff can confirm this. A file tag filled with a tag editior would be much more reliable. If there is the recording date tag possible then should be composition date possible too.

Mmh, there must be a way to fill composition data in custom tag fields:

1 Like

You would think so, but I have reason to believe that those “prefer file” options are redundant, and are not connected to any custom file tags defined by Roon.

There is no mention of “composition date” tags in the File Tag Best Practice article, and the ID3 tag standard does not include tags for composition dates.

The Import Settings article states that Roon currently looks at these “standard” file tags only:

COMPOSER, TCOM, ARTIST, PERFORMER, TPE1, TPE2, TPE3, ALBUM ARTIST, ALBUMARTIST, ALBUM_PERFORMER, SOLOIST, SOLOISTS, LYRICIST, VOCALS, VOCALIST, REMIXED BY, REMIXER, MIXARTIST, DJMIXER, MIXER, ARRANGER, ENSEMBLE, ENGINEER, AUTHOR, IWRI, WRITER, CONDUCTOR, ALBUM_ARTIST, PRODUCER, IPRO, FEATURING, TPUB, ORGANIZATION, LABEL

GENRE STYLE GENRES STYLES

For the time being, I would use the Composition Editor to fill in the composition dates…

But this articles do not mention recording or performing dates, although they exist. They are my most important custom metadata fields as a classical music lover.

We are believing or guessing until the official support shines some light on it.

Until then I use the composition browser to enter the dates. :+1:

That’s because the performance dates (known as recording start date and recording end date in Roon) are NOT supported by file tags, but are accessible in the Album editor (and note how there are no “prefer file” fields for these):

Let’s also be clear, the recording (performing) dates are NOT the same thing as the date when the composition was composed. You started by asking about composition dates - these can be set by using the Composition editor.

For recording (performance) dates, use the Album editor.

You are wrong:

And I know that the composition date is not the same than the recording date. :roll_eyes:

Sorry, I was looking at a streamed album - you are correct that recording dates are supported in file tags:

Composition dates are not.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.