Metadata Improver Bug Persists in Build 1392 despite Fix - Screenshot provided (ref#7LIVLB)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· Something else

How can we help?

· None of the above

Other options

·

Describe the issue

In the release notes for build 1392 (https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-2-0-32-and-arc-1-0-49-are-live/269239), the second bullet under “Changes” section states that

> Resolved an issue where the user was receiving notifications that the Metadata Improver was paused

Unfortunately, this bug still exists.

Please see screenshot at https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/au6ljp44ryuoq64y02u6j/Roon-Metadata-Improver-bug-in-build-1392-on-2024-04-13.png?rlkey=0t950a3fjpq4qkzdq804fy7ts&dl=0

Hi @ezman,

Can you please reproduce the issue on the latest Roon build? Please give your Roon Server a hard reboot, and share a specific timestamp, as well as please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader?

Thanks!

Hi, @benjamin.

When I reported this a few weeks ago, I had recently installed the build that came with the announcement that the bug was fixed.

About a week later, prior to you contacting me, roon asked me to update again to that very same version, which I did. Since I didn’t verify that the first install actually completed, it’s possible that the bug persisted at the time of my report because my server hadn’t updated.

Now, after another recent upgrade to biuld 1407 on both of my servers, the problem has shown up again, but with different behavior.

When I moved my authorization from one server to the other earlier today before composing this email, the red triangle and “metadata updater paused” dialog are present in the Albums page. After switching pages in roon for a while, I returned to the Albums page and the red triangle is gone.

My theory of the bug for a while is this: Roon uses separate authorization tokens for general licensing (to run the server) and for your metadata back end system (to update metadata). The first to grab the metadata token does not release it when the licensing token is released for use by the other system via your “disconnect” and “select a server” UIs.

Now it appears that the metadata token isn’t released immediately when the licensing token is transferred but is eventually released. The now-licensed server exhibits the bug until it successfully retries and gets the metadata token once the other server (or your back end) releases it.

Does this explanation jibe with your attempts to fix the bug over the years?

I will of course report back if/when the bug surfaces.

Thanks,
- Eric