Metal music discussion šŸ¤˜ [2021-01]

Serge, I like your suggestions. I did listen to them. I enlarges the musical horizon.

1 Like

Excellent first two albums- unsure if still going
Bad metadata lumps them in with much unrelated gubbins

1 Like

Rather fond of this despite the hi hat work sounding like the drummer is banging a biscuit tin. The follow up Chasm is better though I donā€™t think available on tidal

I went to see the Crawl tour at the Newcastle Riverside in 1992. Me and my mate Mark Allen got in with fake ID and just got to the bar when the ticket woman from the front desk came looking for us and had us removedā€¦ I was old enough he wasnā€™tā€¦ :cry:

The lead singer John Whitby is an actual politician and was for a while the actual mayor of Derbyā€¦now that really does bring a tear to the eyeā€¦

1 Like

I have tried some of this in the past month.
But I will try this just to prove that itā€™s not for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Mike

1 Like

Roon recommended me

RoonShareImage-637484632161584440

It is very slow, melodic. Trees of Eternity are from Sweden. For my taste it could be more heavy.

3 Likes

This album (Trees Of Eternity) is very related to Swallow The Sun album I posted yesterday. Singer Aleah was a life partner of Swallow The Sunā€™s guitarist/composer. Aleah also sang for them in excellent Songs From The North, released 2015. Aleah passed away in 2016ā€¦ The album I posted was the first one released after that.

Like this album a lot, it is melodic but very sad when you know happened.

Thank you for this background information.

Before you wrote I started to compare them with Swallow The Sun - Songs from the North. They are very similar. Could be the same band.

It is always sad, if somebody has to die that young.

1 Like

Had not heard this. Listening to it now and while it is slow, I like it. I think her voice pretty much makes it.

Peter a good recommendation once again thanks.
I agree it could have been a bit heavier, but a good one to go into the Metal with the family collection (or while in the office and requiring a pass for the ears that cannot cope with THE NOISE).
(Edit: Has a slight All about Eve feeling to it)

I have added Swallow the sun as the next album but need a third should it get turned off (currently have another Therion album lined up)

Mike

If anyone (new to them) try Swallow The Sun: Songs from the North I, II & III. It is good to know that is has 3 very different parts. First album is melodic death/doom, second clean signing and third funeral doom metal, something that can be found from their first albums.

4 Likes

As the discussion seems to be veering towards Doom Metal, here is a highly recommended suggestion - Sinistro from Portugal. Even if you do not understand Portuguese, the singerā€™s voice is excellent for this style of music:

Just do not listen to it if you are already feeling depressedā€¦!

1 Like

Now that is a major commitment of time.
Just started to listen to part 1 and started well

Edit: listened to most of the album and really enjoyed it.

Mike

2 Likes

Like I said in the ā€˜Musicā€™ topic, one of my favorite death metal albums.
Especially because of vocalist Paul Kuhr. His articulation is always clear.

And his clean vocals are damned great as well.

4 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation, just added it to the library

1 Like

Novembers Doom is excellent band, unique death/doom sound! Couple months ago I listened all their albums from first to last and as always Pale Hunt Departure and Novella Reservoir stand out as their best!

1 Like

Exactly my view as well. I was lucky enough to get the chance to request them to get booked for the Dynamo club as support act of Forbidden. Live they are great as well.

And again, I love the vocals of Paul Kuhr. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok. Let it be Doom!
Slow. Very slow:

2013 - ā€œIII - GaĆÆaā€ available on Bandcamp at ā€œName your priceā€

Two tracks 40 and 30 minutes each.

2011 - ā€œDeeper In The Space, Higher In The Oceanā€:

1 track = 1 hour.

2 Likes

I love Slow! :love_you_gesture:

Btw, Novembers Doom is not really doom metal any more.

Thank you for reminding Slow, have not listened them for a long time. Also nice to know there are others who like (funeral) doom! About 10 years ago I collected many funeral doom albums and I do not found them to be that depressive. But I can certainly understand if someone thinks that.

Funeral doom is not something that is fun to listen everyday but sometimes it sounds beautiful, like these two that I liked a lot (and still do)

2 Likes