Metal music discussion 🤘 [2021-01]

Going to be a Tool afternoon so going back over 20 yeas for this.

7 Likes

The last two days I was ignoring Roon quite a lot and driving a lot.

One album I like to listen in the car is Gamma Ray, No World Order.

RoonShareImage-637485749581522170

The intro on this CD I love. Very loud, alone in the car. With a 750 watt amplifier on a Burmester system.

:star_struck:

2 Likes

Now the difficult one, what is your favourite Tool album and why? It is hard to pick one…

I am sure everyone in traffic near your car are also enjoying Gamma Ray :metal: No World Order is not available in Tidal, not good when individual albums are missing…

I have to say that Fear Inoculum towers over all albums (and not just Tool albums).
Possibly my favorite ever album and is my most played album for the last 14 months
I have been using it as my test album for all the updates to my music system since lockdown started.

2 Likes

True! but I was driving mostly on the motorway and outside of villages. I bought all Gamma Ray as CD except the live albums. I just checked, but it is neither on Qobuz. Too bad.

1 Like

Probably the best Dutch (prog metal) rock album ever:

2 Likes

Gone and made me have to add it to my library now haven’t you
I will try and listen tomorrow

Mike

This is a brilliant album. If I remember correctly with Anneke van Giersbergen. She is one of the outstanding metal singers. When I see her name appearing on an album I always listen it.

Yes; this was one of Anneke’s first albums, if not the first album. Absolutely astounding performance, and never really replicated afterwards as far as the band is concerned.

Another masterpiece, before Opeth became another 70s prog rock rag - listening to Black Rose Immortal now:

5 Likes

This will be interesting listen on Friday… Couple very good reviews already published, here is one:

1 Like

Looking forward to hear it.

I like the gentle storm also featuring anneke van giersbergen. Bit of a guilty pleasure… preferring the ‘storm’ side of the album
My younger brother is also a hard rock/ metal man. He heard it and was like… what the hell are you listening to?

If you want something that can be quite disconcerting, try The Axis of Perdition. A bit of black, bit of industrial, bit of ambient. The album Deleted Scenes from the Transition Hospital. Lots of influence from Silent Hill.

It’s either Ænima or Lateralus for sure. That was the absolute prime era of the band

1 Like

I’m confused now: You speak about Tool, not Gamma Ray?

Yeah, I am talking about Tool

1 Like

Scott, is that the album “The Diary” written by Lucassen? Once in folk, one half in prog metal?

It’s time to listen that one soon again.

I keep digging into my early addictions:
I guess they are a completely unknown band. Can’t even imagine how this album got to me 30 years ago and was surprised to find it on Tidal.
Finnish hardcore thrash. Stunningly melodic guitar solos and funny music to cheer you up in the morning.

The cover should be posted in this topic :joy:

1 Like