Metal music discussion 🤘 [2021-01]

Yes it is the Diary sorry the band name the gentle storm of course

2 Likes

3 Likes

Mike, you suggested “Queen, A night at the opera to be metal”. We all said no.

Maybe you’re right anyway. Roon says so:

Peter I know, a lot of old school people consider it metal (to be honest I don’t) but it’s good heavy Rock so it’s on the early stages of becoming metal I guess.

BTW I listened to Novembers Doom and it was Very heavy and dark. Some good part’s but not a regular listen for me.

But really enjoyed Swallow the sun and will be listening to more of that.

Also Slipknots first album and that was a never to be repeated again :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::rofl: . My colleague was so happy to have Slipknot playing after listening to 3 hours of swallow the sun. Less Happy after I gave up after about 15 minutes.

Mike

2 Likes

Slipknot and Swallow the sun are really two different genres. Slipknot is also not on my list of favorites.

In this case I prefer Limp Bizkit. “Results my vary” I’ve got in my library. I do not know if they are on Tidal or Qobuz. They are also Nü Metal or Rap Metal, but not too much growls and there is still some melody.

I found them, because they have a very good cover of “Behind blue eyes”. I’m an old “Who” fan.

Slipknot not staying on my list either.

I actually have several Limp Bizkit albums on CD already. I know it’s not a popular theory but Results may vary is my favorite album of theirs.
I have quite a lot of that genre in my library on CD but enjoying branching out.

Picked up a couple of your earlier postings from the what are we listening 2021 and added them to my library

Mike

1 Like

Same here, one song of Slipknot is enough. Nice to hear @Michael_Harris that you like Swallow The Sun, one of my all time favourite Finnish bands.

One band that came to my mind is Draconian, something similiar to Swallow the Sun and Trees of Eternity. I liked their latest, good combination of female and male vocals.

1 Like

Thanks and Added for listening tomorrow as well.
Really like the Trees of Eternity as well.

Currently playing On Beloved Antichrist by Therion for the wife, as she is partial to a good bit of symphonic metal.

Excellent prog metal with great (clean) vocals.

4 Likes

Slipknot have very distinct eras, and actually evolve whilst maintaining an identity.

Self-titled - angry teen era

Iowa - more brutality, but still seems violent for the sake of being violent and different.

Volume 3.0/Hope Is All Gone - the maturation phase. Less over the top, immature rage, but no less heavy overall. Much smarter, beginning to blend poppier hooks. This is where their songwriting really improved. Much more purpose.

.5 - Probably the best blend of Iowa and Volume 3.0 there could have been

WANYK - The experimental album

I guarantee that most heavier music fans will find at least one Slipknot album they like.

1 Like

Every afternoon is a Tool afternoon in my casa, almost! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just went looking for this and it’s not on Tidal.
But is on YouTube music, well good thing I can play that on Sonos (and it has been a while since I listened to anything on YouTube music)

1 Like

Haha good for you Mikael

I am finding so much music from this thread and a couple of others that I am having to force myself to listen to some older stuff as well

It’s on Tidal for me in the Netherlands. But maybe it’s a regional issue.

Thanks Henri found it now, multiple artists called Outworld, so had to scroll down find it added now :+1:t2:

1 Like

Yes, same here. Bands should select names that are more unique to make our searches easier :joy:

They certainly do. I am happy there is some interest in Outworld. All of them are top notch musicians. Especially Rusty Cooley. Houston used to have a very healthy prog metal scene. Enjoy.

2 Likes

You couldn’t be more right on this
Any three or four random words works for me, especially in the metal genre.

What I find annoying is how many rap artist have taken on the names of earlier existing metal bands. There is even a rapper who calls himself Dio.

2 Likes

I’m always a little bit jealous on Sweden and Finland with all the metal bands, I want to introduce you a band coming from a place near me. Burning Witches.

RoonShareImage-637487232584241740

Not too extreme in any way.

4 Likes