Metal music discussion 🤘 [2021-03]

Yes, it is excellent album, there is so much more than doom metal in this and actually very hard to categorize.

I think you like Empyrium more but check Agalloch: The Mantle. It is a classic folk metal album with some black metal elements.

1 Like

Thanks Jukka I will do.
It certainly felt like it had more to it than just Doom Metal

First time been able to play anything on my home rig for a week as been out working.
Just set my brand spanking new Lumin T2 up and playing this upsampled to DSD256…amazing!

4 Likes

Floor Jansen is my favourite female vocalist, so this is right up my ally. Also ReVamp and Northward, her project with Pagan’s Mind guitarist Jørn Viggo Lofstad.

And of course Nightwish. Especially the performance of Nightwish at Wacken in 2013. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9eKLPCciWw

Personally I think Floor Jansen is the best thing that happened to Nightwish. She can do almost anything with her voice; from some serious growling, belting to almost operatic.

Oh, and congrats with you Lumin T2. I would love to have one as well. But I need to save a little more. :wink:

3 Likes

Henri.
I have a lot of Nightwish albums in my library, time to dust a few off.
Will be checking out her other collaboration work too.

Right now though…

2 Likes

Found I already had ReVamp s/t in my library.
Will give it a spin later tonight!

1 Like

So Kevin how goes it with the T2?
Does it live up to your expectations?

Mike

Mike
I have maybe 2 hours on the T2…:joy::joy:.

But first impressions are very favorable.

Simplicity itself, I plugged network cable in, analog outs to my amp and turned it on. In under a minute both my network and Roon had identified it and music was playing!

That’s my kind of setup.

It let me get rid of a separate Sonore bridge and lps, a usb cable and the Chord dac and its lps.
Much neater on the rack, it’s quite an elegant looking piece of kit.

And it sounds pretty dang good right out of the box and yes I am one of those guys who believe in burn in so roast me for it…lol

It should only get better and better.

Right now bass is quite a bit more prominent, I had to turn the subs down.
Not quite as much air on the top end yet but it’s very early days.

5 Likes

Floor Jansen was great with After Forever (Prison of Desire, Decipher and Invisible Circles - it’s downhill from there); with Nighwish? Not that much given the cocky, pompous, boring Holopainen compositions that pale in comparison to the more honest Tarja years until Wishmaster or so.

But then again, I am getting older - my patience for pompous, “I am so great” stuff is short these days.

Fantastic news for a couple of hours of burin.

No roasting for believing in burnin, not sure I do for digital, but that’s just because I have not experienced it yet.

Hopefully it will continue to get better for you.

Mike

I just listened to the first three tracks of Northward and I am VERY impressed, while not technically metal it hit the spot for me, vaulted towards the top of my favourites for sure.

2 Likes

One of the best recommendations from this thread so far - great band:

3 Likes

She has a great voice, that’s for sure. Another good discovery (sounds a bit like old Nightwish):

2 Likes

Qobuz does not seem to have that one but they have one later one, The Butterfly Raiser which I shall try later

Couldn’t find it in Roon, but found it on Tidal :+1:t2:

Quite digging these guys…

1 Like

As Bill.S.Preston Esquire would say… party on dudes!!

1 Like

You might want to check out Jørn’s band Pagan’s Mind. Progressive metal with a great vocalist. Very consistent band. They played ProgPower USA serveral times.

Enjoying this new release definitely

1 Like

I have Pagans Mind now in my queue…just need some more hours in a day…lol

1 Like