Metal music discussion šŸ¤˜ [2021-03]

Been listening to the Deliverance & Damnation triple LP today, lovely! Iā€™m not a growl-fan but this i like. And it sounds darned good too!

3 Likes

You have that new remastered combination where tracks from Deliverance and Damnation are on a same album?

Those two are excellent albums, they were recorded at the same time but released 2002 and 2003. Deliverance and Damnation were my first Opeth albums that I bought and still remember when I drove home from record store and played themā€¦

1 Like

Yes, i think it was remastered in 2014 and reissued as the ā€œdoubleā€ album it was originally intended as. (but the label refused, since the two were so different)
But, Deliverance is split on two vinyls and Damnation is crammed into one.

1 Like

I have the 4 disc set with the Soord/Wilson remixes in stereo and 5.1 from 2015 (I think). Ripped the 24/96 2-channel audio from the DVDs - sounds flippinā€™ fantastic.

2 Likes

Way too little music this week but plenty of reviews etc. about new speakers and amps. One thing that is always challenging is that very few reviewers use metal when they test equipmentā€¦

This yearā€™s current leader of bad album cover with good music. This is very fast melodic/techical death metal and I know this is too much for many here :grin:

2 Likes

A damn good album imho.

1 Like

Yesterday 3rd of March was 35th birthday of Master Of Puppets, such a classic thrash album!

5 Likes

Been a way too busy week with 14 hour work days apart from tonight which was only a 11 hour dayā€¦lol

Just got around to listening to this that was recommended earlier somewhere, quite like it .

The Course Of Empire by Atlantean Codex.

Dont remember who posted it but thanks!

1 Like

Indeed it was - celebrated in my own way by playing through the album on me bass.

Also, new recommendation for folk - Allegaeon. I feel Iā€™m a little late to the party here, but Proponent for Sentience is one of the best melodic death albums Iā€™ve ever listened to.

2 Likes

Kevin, Welcome to the club. Same here. Hope next week is more quiet. But finally, that hobby pays this hobby.

Atlantean Codex: youā€™re welcome!

Peter

Allegaeon is one of my absolute favorite bands.

I would consider them technical death metal. Although they certainly have a bit of a melodic streak.

Their covers of Rush and Yes are really fantastic. While their latest album is very good I agree that ā€˜Proponent for Sentienceā€™ is their strongest release.

I am hoping for a new album in 2021.

1 Like

I only just picked up on them because I found out a mate of mine is being taught by Greg Burgess. If heā€™s as good a teacher as he is a player, my mateā€™s in good hands.

1 Like

I think thatā€™s a safe assumption. :wink:

:grinning: :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Do you remove Heavy Metal and Pop/Rock genres from metal albums and only use lowest level like black metal for an album?
Mine shows only heavy metal and no sub genres.

Yea, somehow I made ā€˜black metalā€™ a top genre. I also did this with ā€˜tech deathā€™. I thought it was very annoying that two of my favourite genres were subsumed under ā€˜otherā€™ or ā€˜heavy metalā€™.

Roon should make this a bit easier. I know, I could be posting about this in ā€˜feature requestsā€™ but at the moment I canā€™t be bothered. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ok, they are top genres that explains it. I am currectly modifying all metal albums so that they have Pop/Rock, Heavy metal and correct sub genre(s), was afraid that made huge mistake doing all that work :grinning:

1 Like

Allegaeon is very good, I saw you talk about it and had not listened them for awhile, so listened all their albums during work today :slightly_smiling_face: Hard to pick best but maybe Proponent For Sentience would be the one.

I love good technical death but 5 albums in a row is enough and something not as technical need be listened after that.

Folk/doom metal is maybe closest that Empyrium can be described, at least their latest album: Ɯber den Sternen. If there is someone who liked something like Agalloch: The Mantle this could be just album for you. I usually do not like too much folk influences in metal but this handles it just right.

In 2014 Empyrium released Turn Of The Tides album and one of itā€™s sub genres is Neo-classical metal. So for those who like classical and metal music this is definitely worth checking out!

Jukka I have listened to this several times this week (and forced others too).
Doom Metal Shouldnā€™t be my thing, but I found it excellent. Once I work through my backlog I will be listening again.
Maybe itā€™s the folk part that got me :grin::+1:t2:

1 Like