19 - Anaal Nathrakh - Endarkenment
20 - Arch Echo - Story I

21 - GoGo Penguin - Live From Studio 2
22 - Ruin - Foretoken
23 - Cloudkicker - Solitude
24 - LIK - Misanthropic Breed
25 - Inferi - Of Sunless Realms

4 Likes

:joy: I almost but a warning in that list that there are black metal etc. that most here do not listen. Mike had Aeternam in his list and Rockhound had Mors Principium Est. also Dyssidia is progressive metal (although pretty heavy) but could be something people here enjoy.

1 Like

Very good that you tried that, it has been mentioned couple times here and is excellent prog metal album!

I knew you had list ready to go, very good that you saw we were posting these!

Excellent choices and, not that surprisingly :slightly_smiling_face:, some are same that I had. And actually many more would have been if I had added that many.

I have listened to Dyssidia and Enslaved, but they are at the range of my capabilities to listen to the whole album

Looks like everyone loves Mors Principium Est (including me now I listened to it)

I have added some off your list and Henri’s, but I am guessing most will be a challenge, got to give them a go though :+1:

1 Like

Yes I think most could be currently too much for you, but in Henri’s list there are many that I think you will enjoy. MPE album is very good melodic death metal, glad it gets praise here!

2 Likes

So its time for me to lower the bar and lighten the best of 2020 up a bit, you knew you could count on me to bring in some symphonic metal!

In no particular order…whittled it down to 12.

FOREVER BLACK………………… CIRITH UNGOL

PUNCHING THE SKY…………….ARMOURED SAINT

TITANS OF CREATION……………TESTAMENT

OBSIDIAN………………………….PARADISE LOST

PANTHER…………………………. PAIN OF SALVATION

ENLIGHTENED IN ETERNITY……SPIRIT ADRIFT

ABYSS………………………………UNLEASH THE ARCHERS

THE LAST VIKING……………….LEAVES EYES

HUMAN NATURE…………………NIGHTWISH

CHAPTER 1 MONARCHY……….AD INFINITUM

OCEANS OF SLUMBER…………OCEANS OF SLUMBER

MANIFEST…………………………AMARANTHE

3 Likes

The problem for me is that I don’t really follow things by year of release anymore - I just listen to what I like. The only exception is when I become aware of new albums through the Prog magazine, which I subscribe to.

Otherwise I tend to stick to the bands I know and like, often delving into their entire catalog since Roon makes this much easier.

1 Like

I will work my way through these thanks

I brought at least 2 in, and I stopped my top 10 at 10 :grin:
If I had gone to 20 it might have been up to 6 or 7 symphonic babes in my list… I mean bands

Good list :+1:

1 Like

I wanted to like the Unleash the Archers effort mostly because they are a local band, but I thought it was a bit meh. I should give it a second chance.

I noticed they were very local to you and thought you might have liked them but not enough to make your top ten.

It is probably near the bottom of my list but I think they have promise and potential to rise higher.

1 Like

I replaced the old Sansui A-2000 integrated amp in my pc room ( where I am now typing and listening) with a very simple and cheap but very enjoyable fleawatt tube amp.
Think it is something like 2x3wpc…lol
It drives the Wharfedales loud enough for my needs in this room but the tone is very satisfying indeed.
Bought it and a tube buffer which I have placed inline on my cassette deck for the princely sum of $105 off ebay.

2 Likes

Good to balance things out! Couple very good ones (Oceans of slumber and Testament) and also some I have never even heard!

1 Like

Thanks Jukka, I really appreciate it.

Hey @ds_2 saw you posting the Empyrium album last night and I have it on this morning.

Funnily enough that actually topped my best metal album of 2020 list, at least until I realized that it was released in Feb 2021 (and I reluctantly removed it).
It’s a phenomenal album so a very good introduction from you.

1 Like

Maybe we both will add it to 2021 top 10… It was first album I purchased after loosing it in Tidal - Qobuz change. Money well spent!

1 Like

It will almost certainly be in mine, extended list if needed :grin:

Is their back catalogue as high quality as I see they have a lot of albums and it’s very tempting offer on bandcamp to buy them all?

1 Like

I have only listened The Turn Of The Tides and that is different but also very good. I also checked in the morning if they have full catalog offer in Bandcamp but maybe I get them one by one :thinking: have not yet decided…

1 Like

Thanks for that, I thought I had already bought UDS (as close as I can get without copy and paste).

I will listen to some more and then buy either a few or the whole package, which looks like excellent value if even half of them are good.

1 Like