microRendu General Thread

I don’t have a SOSE, but I replaced a SOtM SMS-100 (very similar to the SOSE) with the microR. The SMS-100 sounded good, and especially good when powered by a high-end PS ($1000) that unfortunately isn’t suitable for the mR.

The mR sounds better - even with a wall wart PS. Not by miles, but I can definitely hear more detail, and hear each individual instrument more clearly.I’ve since gotten an iFi iPower, and I think it also improves things a bit. At some point I will upgrade the PS, and will see what difference that makes.

Based on my experience, you will experience an improvement, although I wouldn’t call it a spectacular one. Others have reported very big improvements with the mR. That may be system dependent, or it may be dependent on how each of us reacts to the same changes. Some people describe what I would consider small improvements as big ones.

1 Like

Mine has no issue with switching outputs on my DAC (Mytek 192 DSD). With some DACs (like mine) the DAC needs to see the mR bootup to connect, so the DAC has to be on before the mR to get a connection.

I do have an issue with occasionally loosing the HQP NAA, connection during playback. But this seems to be an HQP desktop, network, or DAC driver issue, not an MR issue.

1 Like

Had a strange experience with Roon, my uRendu and Devialet. While listening to music yesterday, the music just stopped. Roon showed it was still streaming, the uRendu appeared to be still working and the Devialet was still showing USB active. But no music at all.

I tried restarting/rebooting Roon, the uRendu, my router and the Devialet… still no music despite everything appearing to be fine. I even sent the uRendu diagnostics to Jesus at Sonore who said everything looked fine.

I finally “fixed” it this afternoon. Grasping at straws, I went into the uRendu RoonReady settings where I have always had Volume Control set to “None (volume 100%)” so that volume control was solely managed from the Devialet. I changed that to “Software” volume control, saved it, and damned if it didn’t start working! This allowed me to control volume via Roon rather than just the Devialet volume control. WTF, right?

So I then when back into the uRendu RoonReady settings and reset Volume Control back as I originally had it - “None (volume 100%)” and saved it. Damn, now it worked correctly again! Somehow resetting this restored correct functionality.

No idea what happened. But my best guess is that Roon was somehow streaming to the uRendu/Devialet with 0 volume.

I love problems that I can resolve, but hate it when I haven’t a clue why. Anyone else experience this? Roon issue or uRendu issue?

2 Likes

Not seen that one. With something so tightly integrated with RoonReady, its always going to be hard to separate which bit went wrong - the device or the RoonReady code (or Roon itself) but hopefully they have such a good working relationship that they sort it out between them one way or another…

My fear is that it is a Devialet issue and not Roon nor Sonore.

When I took the USB cable out of the Devialet and into an iFi microDSD DAC/headphone amp, it worked fine. Put it back into the Devialet and no sound. But somehow, resetting the volume control setting via the uRendu RoonReady setting got it working again. Strange.

is the verdict of the jury in on the microRendu yet?

I’m even seeing it mentioned over on the Naim forum and Tir na hifi, when it hits Pink Fish we’ll know it’s truly arrived.

SJB

From my prespective, the µRendu is a huge win. Awareness of a great product these days has far more to do with discussion on the various forums than it does with traditional marketing or formal reviews it seems.

And for sure, it offers great value for money - as it works neatlessly with Roon ( with or without HQplayer). It is the future of audio for those who want flexibility - only returning issues are with Devialet - with my Kii’s I have never had any problem with it - rock stable. It sounds better than the lower priced Linn or Naim streamers - and the upgaded PSU’s are yet to come…

Update:

The microRendu has an updated available to play native DSD with new devices. Refer here for the list of supported devices.

Sonicorbiter - Native DSD support

Please follow this upgrade procedure:

1. Go to Apps and select Software Manager
  2. Now select Update
  3. Wait for “Back to main menu” to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices
1 Like

Don’t see any list of new devices

I updated the link…try it now.

1 Like

Apologies if this is a daft question…

With the microRendu feeding a DAC, is the server/Mac/PC where the core resides, less influential on the resulting SQ or just as important?

Thanks

In theory, he microRendu provides isolation from noise that might have been generated in the computer from reaching the DAC. The aspect of this that some folks disagree about, is whether that noise is somehow embedded into the signal at the computer and thus can’t be cleaned at the NAA, others say bits are bits and tgat only the noise thatvtravels along the USB cable to the DAC matters.

7 posts were split to a new topic: microRendu - Geek Out DAC, static with DSD

This was a very interesting passage by Chris Connaker in the comments under his review of the SOSE:

I setup five different computers as Roon servers to send audio to the Sonicorbiter SE.

1. Windows 8.1 noisy, non-tweaked (hardware or software) PC with 6TB spinning drives of local storage.
  1. Windows 2012 R2 server SOtM / AO server with highly tweaker hardware and software.
  2. OS X El Capitan MacBook Pro
  3. OS X El Capitan / Windows 10 (Boot Camp) MacBook Pro retina
  4. OS X El Capitan iMac 5K

I couldn’t hear a hint of difference between the sources when sending audio over Ethernet to the RoonReady Sonicorbiter SE. This combined with the fact I have no idea how the source could possibly effect the sound of the Ethernet endpoint in this situation, lead me to believe the source has no effect on sound quality.

Note: I completely respect the opinions of others who will try similar tests as more RoonReady endpoints become available. In addition, my conclusion here has absolutely nothing to do with locally attached server / DAC combinations not using audio over Ethernet.

I would expect a greater degree of isolation from the microRendu.

I have the m2tech hiface evo two connected to my rendu. The sound is unreal. I decided to add the m2tech clock evo 2 as an option. As soon as I add it into the chain, it crashes the rendu. Anyone else having this issue?

A post was merged into an existing topic: microRendu - Geek Out DAC, static with DSD

Interestingly I can get it running for about 10 seconds and then I get the message roon lost control of audio device. An then rendu is down for good. Only way to get it back is reboot rendu

Thanks Andy thats very interesting.

Thanks Stephan and your views are backed up in the below passage from Chris Connaker