Migrating from a Qnap with Sooloos on to Roon

Hi there,

I’m helping my father move from Meridian Sooloos to Roon (since Meridian have stopped supporting Roon)

So a couple of years ago, we changed the sooloos core to a QNAP running the Sooloos software. From what i can gather, changing this to Roon is basically a case of installing Roon Server and pointing it at the music files already on the QNAP?
Or is there something i’m missing like importing it or whatever to make the files more “Roon friendly”

(Side question, once this is done, what do people suggest is the best way to rip CD’s to the QNAP from now on since ControlPC/Mac would no long be used)

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Hi @Ben_Spargo and welcome to the Forum.

Depending on the size of the library and the model of the QNAP, it might not be sufficiently powerful to act as a Roon Core.

This is a fresh start, loosing all previous edits, playlists, favourites, … made to the current database. If you want to migrate from Sooloos to Roon, there might be additional steps needed (FAQ: Can I use my Meridian Sooloos 2.1 music and database with Roon?). As I’m just another user of Roon, I go and tag @support here so they might join the discussion. It’s maybe best to don’t touch the current installation until you hear back from them.

This is often a question of personal preference. There are already many threads about it:

https://community.roonlabs.com/search?q=rip%20cd

Depending on the size of the library and the model of the QNAP, it might not be sufficiently powerful to act as a Roon Core.

Its a QNAP TS-253A with 4GB of RAM if that helps. I think it should be able to run it. 4TB drives are in there but i think only just over 1TB is in use.

I’ll have a look at other things regarding ripping. (thanks for the link)

Hopefully he doesn’t have to re-rip everything again, he already had to do that once when the original Sooloos setup broke down.

Hi @Ben_Spargo,

You’ll want to follow the instructions here when migrating from Sooloos to Roon: https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_Can_I_use_my_Meridian_Sooloos_2.1_music_and_database_with_Roon%3F

Also, per our requirements, you’ll want to make sure that Roon is installed on an SSD for best results.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.