Migrating to Nucleus + Internal Storage Mistep

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus + Rev B

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Core via Ethernet
Amazon Fire HD 10 Roon player via WiFi (Netgear Nighthawk)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ via usb
Netgear ReadyNAS Pro 4 (music storage device) via usb

Description Of Issue

Followed Roon’s KB instructions for Installing Nucleus Internal Storage and Formatting Nucleus Internal Storage without a hitch.

Roon player recognized the new drive as a disabled storage device. So I thought there would be no harm in transferring music files to the new internal drive per the instructions provided by Nucleus Internal Storage while keeping the NAS music storage folder actively watched. Not seeing any duplication while the transfer is in process. So all is good, right?

Wrong, according to a fourth Roon KB article Nucleus Migration Guide. According to Step 3, Internal Storage, I should have disabled the NAS storage device, enabled the new internal drive, and stopped the Roon server software before transferring my music files to the new drive.

Do I need to stop the current transfer process, remove the files transferred and follow the migration steps aforementioned? Or can I finish the transfer in progress and restore a backup to the new internal drive upon completion of the transfer in order to match it to my existing library?

Hi @jb76,

The key here is to make sure that two watched folders aren’t active at the same time. If you go to Settings > Storage do you have both the NAS and Internal Storage enabled?

No, the new internal drive was set at disabled by default after formatting it.

@dylan Based on the following facts…

1.) New internal drive is disabled.
2.) NAS drive is still being watched.
3) The Roon server is still running.
4) I possess an up-to-date backup of existing library

…there are two ways to skin a cat when it comes to migrating to a new drive? Please confirm whether I can continue transferring files to the new drive based on the facts just provided. Thanks.

Hi @jb76,

You should remove the NAS drive completely if you’ll no longer be using it, but after that you should be good to go. There is no need to stop the transfer to Internal Storage currently.

@dylan Thanks!

Yes, once the transfer is complete, I intend on removing the NAS drive as my watched storage folder, enabling the new drive and performing a backup restore from a backup of the latest existing library of my NAS drive.

If I might add a suggestion, it would be helpful if the four KB articles I referenced were consolidated as one under the heading, “Installing Nucleus Internal Drive.” Less likely not to miss a step by doing so I would think.

Thanks for the feedback on the KB, @jb76. We’ll look into making that more of a clear process. If any other questions come up please feel free to ask!

1 Like

Happy to report that the music file transfer method I used, without following Step 3 of Nucleus Migration Guide for Internal Storage succeeded. In hindsight, the key was as dylan said, “make sure that two watched folders aren’t active at the same time.”

Note the backup restore procedure I suggested was not actually necessary because I had not played/edited my library since the last successful backup and the installation of new internal drive. My existing library remained intact after removing the NAS drive and enabling the new internal hard drive.

Appreciate your help @dylan. Happy holidays.

1 Like

Glad to hear you’re up and running, @jb76! Happy holidays to you as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.