Mimby (or Bimby) with 176.4 and 192 kHz

I decided to order a Modi Multibit (Mimby) for my desktop setup and have a question if anyone with the Modi or Bifrost Multibit are down-sampling higher than 96 khz rates for the Mimby or Bimby to employ the Schiit proprietary “comboburrito” filter?

I will of course try and listen if I can detect a difference, but it would be interesting to see if others with any of these DACs down-sample or even up-sample lower rates to 176.4 or 192 to avoid the filter?

I do not down sample when using the mimby. I let the native files > 96kHz play. They sound just fine. In fact, it is basically a NOS mode for those files, no oversampling or DAC filters at all. Some people really like the sound of NOS DACs.

Thanks for your input @Rugby, I look forward to testing both options with Roon when the Mimby arrives later this week!

I definitely did when I auditioned the Mimby. This was ages ago and I didn’t end up keeping it, so I don’t really have any adjectives on hand, but I did find it was possible to coax slightly different sound signatures using various HQPlayer filters at 192.

Both the Modi and Bifrost Multibit employ a 4x digital filter; it’s a slightly less sophisticated filter than the one used in the Gungnir (Multibit) and Yggdrasil. What this means for your music is:

• sample rates of 176.4kHz and 192kHz pass straight through the ‘comboburrito’ filter untouched, and into the Analog Devices DAC.

• sample rates of 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz and 96kHz are upsampled to either 176.4kHz or 192kHz using the closed-form comboburrito filter, preserving all the original samples in the process. The filters that are built into most off-the-shelf DAC chips typically discard the original samples during this process.

If you down-sample files with rates of 176.4kHz and 192kHz using Roon, that process will also discard the original samples. The Schiit ‘multibit’ products are all about preserving the original samples.

My advice is: only downsample for compatibility.

You could try upsampling with Roon but that defeats the reasons for buying a DAC with the “comboburrito” filter. Maybe you’ll prefer the sound of Roon’s upsampling over Schiit’s who knows, only you can make that determination.

1 Like