Mini PC for Roon Core

Apologies - I know there are threads covering this but I need a really clear and simple answer.
I’m currently running Roon Core on an old Mac Mini, but it keeps turning off, I’ve read that it’s not really compatible with 24/7 Roon Core use as in this mode the fan doesn’t come on and it overheats. (It does feel pretty hot after a while so this would make sense, or could just be because it’s super old.)
I am using a Logitech Transporter as a Roon Ready streamer, connected to a vintage Naim pre-amp/power amp combination, and EPOS speakers.
I really just need the cheapest device to run a Roon Core on, no storage required beyond back-ups (100% streaming Tidal) and ideally connecting to WI-FI rather than ethernet.
From another thread I can see this recommended (well, the pro version but I’m assuming this will do the same job):

Can I install a Roon Core directly onto that?
How does it connect to a monitor/keyboard - I have a Dell monitor and bluetooth Mac keyboard currently used with the Mac Mini - will they work?
Can I set it up via a browser from a laptop?
I’m a pretty well-informed user of technology, but have never programmed anything so need to be pretty much plug and play.
Don’t have money for a Nucleus much as I would love one.
Any feedback gratefully received.
Thanks!
Mike

1 Like

No.
Processor very slow.
If you don’t want a proper NUC or something similar look at the threads on what others are running on Mock rigs or buy secondhand.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-8350K-vs-Intel-Atom-x5-Z8350/3935vsm143924

1 Like

I doubt the Neo, which is comparable to the Intel Atom will have enough horsepower to run Roon Core. To be clear, it will probably work, but the UI will be sluggish and you can forget using DSP.

You’re better off looking for a NUC or equivalent mini PC with Core i3, i5 or i7 processor.

1 Like

Is there perhaps a setting within your MacMini to tell the fan to come on sooner, etc.

1 Like

If it’s in a different room, you could consider a low cost desktop or tower computer sitting is a corner somewhere connected via ethernet cable or WIFI. My Dell laptop has both an ethernet or WIFI connection to my router. I find that when the ethernet is disconnected, it works perfectly well running the Roon core and never misses a beat (pun intended).

1 Like

I run one of these with the ssd option and 8Gb memory. There are less (and more!) expensive variants. I chose this spec to match the laptop on which I trialled Roon and knew to work. An i3 should be fine.

1 Like

But your cheapest option is to work out why the fan on the mini doesn’t come on!

1 Like

Or this might be an option…

1 Like

Buy that NUC off Jaspal, ask him to put a clean ROCK install on it for you. That will do what you need and future proof you should you wish to do more with Roon. The only issue you may have is you need to use Ethernet for your core ideally. But you can put the core anywhere on your network.

1 Like

I have one of these running my core. It’s been excellent, runs Roon very well. Barely gets warm and is completely silent fitted with an ssd. Silent mini PC

1 Like

Thanks guys, great suggestions.
Re the inactive fan on Mac Mini I read about this in another post a while ago on the forum.
Apparently this is what happens when a MM runs Roon Core - there was no suggested fix.
I only read it after I had been using the MM - but I dod notice it was really, really hot.
I am tempted to go for a Gen 8 i3 (equivalent to Gen 7 i5) but still researching best vendor/spec/price.
Really appreciate everyone’s input - thank you!

1 Like

Have also reached out to Jaspal :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm. I’ve not seen the post, but sounds like an urban myth to me. I’d be 99.8% sure Roon does not mess with power/fan/whatever configuration on any computer. Maybe another user followed some (misguided?) advice to disable the fan and regretted it?

Anyway. Moot point if you’re going with a NUC…

1 Like