Missing Basic Features

I can answer this one, if it hasn’t in the 100 posts in the thread since. A while ago they started to implement better UX, such as including the now familiar play buttons (Play now, Add Next, etc). There was an uproar from what I can only assume were luddites, who compared it to iTunes’ and Spotify’s “click the album to play it”, as though usability is antithetical to app and sound quality.

The way that is stated that makes it sound like the genre list is in any way an editable functional feature

My favourite part about this attitude is the following response from a Room dev:

The OP in that thread references a Support Request I made in 2018, and asks whether it can be done. Then a Roon KB editor chimes in and says, no, it can’t, otherwise there would have been a response to my support request in that year. Then there’s Dylan’s above response. Top quality absurdism

On another note, as others have said before, it’s best to begin with low expectations in these situations. I wouldn’t expect Apple to implement my unique request. I would, however, expect them to continue to make improvements on the UI/UX of their apps, as they’ve done for years.

Despite the existence of a Feature Request forum, and well intentioned urging to employ its use, I honestly doubt it is within Roon’s priorities to actually implement any of it:

And that’s fine. I’ve been waiting years for better metadata, and better genre editing, and they haven’t come. It’s not so bad. The only drawback is when it shuffles and I get Led Zeppelin and Vaporwave in the same playlist because for some reason they’re both marked as pop Roon is still better than iTunes, and it plays with my gear.

My point is, I feel for the new users who genuinely believe things can change.

Edit: I’ve updated a couple of points into one post

2 Likes