Missing Basic Features

It’s also not about folk who just want to listen to their music.

1 Like

In Album View >>> Focus I’m able to see a hierarchical genre list as an overlay window on a desktop client. This list can be sorted alphabetically.

I’ve tried to be very strict when it comes to assigning genres, am not using Roon / rovi genres and usually don’t use streaming integration, so my experience might be different here; since I don’t have that many genre categories on my list I’m not too bothered by the relatively small size of that overlaying window and that I’ve scroll within it when searching a genre.

Also, Genre Browser pages allow to sort sub-genres by genre name, as shown on that screenshot from an Android tablet:

Again, since I’ve limited the amount of genres and use a custom hierarchy, my experience may be different from what you’d need. But maybe those features are of help?

1 Like

For me its the same. Lots of them missing.
but plex finds them all… They are able to do it.

What is bad is for audiobooks. It find 3 pics out of 2.000 artists. Roon is not for made for audiobooks, ok. But the problem is that the ui is not customiseable in any form. List view or that roon would take any picture (from album, book) would help.

Look at this.

2 Likes

I can answer this one, if it hasn’t in the 100 posts in the thread since. A while ago they started to implement better UX, such as including the now familiar play buttons (Play now, Add Next, etc). There was an uproar from what I can only assume were luddites, who compared it to iTunes’ and Spotify’s “click the album to play it”, as though usability is antithetical to app and sound quality.

The way that is stated that makes it sound like the genre list is in any way an editable functional feature

My favourite part about this attitude is the following response from a Room dev:

The OP in that thread references a Support Request I made in 2018, and asks whether it can be done. Then a Roon KB editor chimes in and says, no, it can’t, otherwise there would have been a response to my support request in that year. Then there’s Dylan’s above response. Top quality absurdism

On another note, as others have said before, it’s best to begin with low expectations in these situations. I wouldn’t expect Apple to implement my unique request. I would, however, expect them to continue to make improvements on the UI/UX of their apps, as they’ve done for years.

Despite the existence of a Feature Request forum, and well intentioned urging to employ its use, I honestly doubt it is within Roon’s priorities to actually implement any of it:

And that’s fine. I’ve been waiting years for better metadata, and better genre editing, and they haven’t come. It’s not so bad. The only drawback is when it shuffles and I get Led Zeppelin and Vaporwave in the same playlist because for some reason they’re both marked as pop Roon is still better than iTunes, and it plays with my gear.

My point is, I feel for the new users who genuinely believe things can change.

Edit: I’ve updated a couple of points into one post

2 Likes

If you want to use your own genres, it is…

Am I wrong in thinking that is only when importing files, not managing an extant database of genres

It would be good to have bouth. Genre from my tags, which are more basic. I have like 20 different ones for music, 30 for audiobooks, and the roon genres to use at the same time is what i need. And better integration for genre information like in tracks or playlist lists etc

For existing genres Roon lets you manage the genre hierarchy by setting a parent genre in the Genre editor. This way you can change how existing genres relate to each other and structure the genre browser / sub pages.

I think it becomes cumbersome to set up if you use a lot of genres. I prefer an old style librarian approach to music genres: only a selected few… …that way, I have a structure I can remember. :slight_smile: This approach is probably against the Roon intent - which tries to heighten the experience by using a lot of genres / sub-genres. But it works for me.

Er, why do you think you can’t have both?

Yes, you are wrong. :slightly_smiling_face:

i need both independently not a mix up.
and not only that. i need seperated librarys for different users or to seperat music/audiobooks

Not sure how two entirely independent genre hierarchies would work in practice, other than with entirely separate user profiles. Until such time as Roon Labs get around to improving the user profile feature, the only workaround we have is to use Tags…

When “Audiobooks” is a top level genre, I believe it would be relatively easy to show / hide audiobooks with Focus and Bookmarks without the need for an additional library. I’m using three top level genres: one for classical music, one for popular music and one for everything else, with “Spoken Word” as one of the sub genres. Works well enough for me.

Good point - it’s what I do for hiding/showing Podcasts (one of my own genres) in my library.

all audiobooks have genres like this
Audiobook/Thriller
Audiobook/Fantasy
Audiobook/Kids

as i use andoid for it most of the time (no fokus) the only good way is to search for genre. this is a very good feature roon does have. i type in thriller and i can select the Audiobook/Thriller genre and can select then albums or artists. it works

i not tryed this but i thinks splits genres right? a good thing would be if i could use an option to generate subgenres?
so everything would be under audiobook genre but with subgenres like Thriller, Kids and so on…

i think the name of this thread is a bit wrong as i see it. the basics are more or less ok. the pace of development is a problem. (and some guy)

the discover and roon radio feature are very important for roon to provide something spezial to their costumers. they are at 5% of what they could be. it is to basic at the moment for that high of a price

for me discover looks like this. it suggesting me content for 5 year old girls. lol

1 Like

If Audiobook/Subgenre comes from the Genre tag in the actual file, you could try to add / as a genre tag separator (Trennzeichen für Genre Tags).
This would - or at least: it should - separate Audiobook from, for example, Thriller.
With the help of the Genre Editor, you could then set the Parent Tag (“Hauptgenre”) for Thriller to Audiobook.

You don’t need to use focus on the Android remote set focus up on a pc or tablet remote then create bookmarks for each genre you can just use use the bookmarks on the phone to list each genre. This bookmark will auto update to any new file you add with those genres. It’s how I have my limited audiobook collection.

i did this. but its not usable. searching for genre is better… as i see it bookmark feature is not made to make 70 bookmarks.
bookmarks are to basic. as almost everything in roon

Autoren = authors
Hörbuch = audiobooks (albums)

it is 2.100 and 8.100. what should i do with it when i would have to scroll 6 hours (laggy scrolling) on a android phone

I was just meaning for your audiobook genres you listed not every genre of music as well. But if you have 70 book genres no it’s of no help. Still would not call it basic though. Focus and bookmarks works well for me.