Missing Compositions

Core Machine (Oper/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Core on NUC Hades Canyon - Windows 10 Pro - Roon 1.7 (latest build 521)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Fully wired networking

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

B&W Formation Duo with ROON-interface on iPhone/iPad

Description Of Issue

I started using Roon server software a few weeks ago in an attempt to manage my vast music collection (5000 albums in FLAC and FLAC 24Bit) and listen to my collection on a pair of B&W Formation speakers in a comfortable way. So far I am a happy customer, overall quite impressed with the software, but I still have a lot of editing to do in my Roon database.

Nevertheless I’m experiencing a quite cumbersome problem.
There seems to be an widely spread problem with the software not recognising quite a lot (!!) of tracks as a known composition. Especially in compilation albums (e.g. Ministry Of Sound) a lot of my tracks are not assigned to the corresponding composition (there’s no “go to composition” choice), while sometimes the very same track on a different compilation album is immediatley linked with the composition correctly.
In this way, I am losing a lot of the benefits of using such an extensive music server software by missing a lot of the different performances in my collection that should be linked with that specific composition.
Only when I search for the track in the “songs” tab of my Roon collection I get a list of the different performances of this very composition.

I do not seem to find a way by searching the Roon community, and it doesn’t seem to make any difference by changing metadata of the tracks (which are exactly the same for every performance).
Reanalyze or trying to re-identify the albums and tracks doesn’t work either.

Is there a way to attribute a new composition to an unidentified track, or even link an unidentified track to a specific composition? That should be a very basic task after all in an elaborate music server software like Roon…

I seem lost, and it’s frustrating after paying a premium price for the lifetime Roon subscription.

I’d appreciate some input from Roon support on this matter.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Hi @kwakkie80,

Can you share some screenshots of an example of this?

Often times this will come down to whether or not this data is provided by our metadata providers, along with the correctness of file tags. It’s always best to make sure your content is identified if possible and that file tags are correct in order to improve Roon’s ability to match compositions.

Hi,
I have been battling with the same issue for months. Sometimes adding Composer tag to the files works. Sometimes adding Composer tag AND manually add Composer credit works. Sometimes nothing seems to work at all.
Usually when this problem occurs the tracks are correctly linked after unlinking (un-identifying) the album : compositions are linked according to Composer tags and/or added Composer credits. But identifying the album ruins everything.
Here is an example :

“The Blue Room” obviously has the correct Composer metadata, but no “Go To Composition” link.

When accessing “The Blue Room” composition, this particular version does not appear :

This occurs hundreds of times in my library… Some specific albums seem completely composition-link-proof, sometimes (as here) only a couple of tracks are subject to this problem.

Some of us have been battling with this for years. Those with an interest in Genres like Classical and EDM where linking compositions or mixes is a lot of the point of roon have been particularly vocal. But I have quite a mixed library and actually find the problem to be much worse in other genres. I do not know what to suggest. There are long-standing feature requests where it might make sense to add new use cases.

Yes. This seems to be the root of the problem. It might be worth checking if there is an alternative version you can identify with - if the associated metadata is different on that then the problem sometimes goes away.

As @Tony_Casey says, it’s a long standing issue and it is on Roon’s list. If you’ve got a bit of time to spare, you might like to read

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.