Missing iTunes Playlists on Windows - Media and XML stored separately?

Hello,
I’m quite new to Roon and I enjoy every piece of your great software. But I’m actually also having problems with importing my iTunes Playlists. I store and manage my music in iTunes, have my intelligent Playlists etc. and would be glad to use it with Roon. I tried all your troubleshootings and all the mentioned steps in this posting, but it didnt work at all. I have Roon installed on “C:” and my music is stored on “D:”. The music folder and the “watched folders” are pointing to the correct destination. So I have all my artists, albums etc. but Roon doesn’t import my Playlists. Also, when I point to the folder where the XML File is located and force a rescan, it doesn’t work. Then I copied it to “D:” and it also didnt work. What am I doing wrong?

Best regards and thanks for your help in advance.

Did you look at the steps listed here?

You’ll need to have the iTunes XML and the music files stored in the same watched folder – I’m guessing that’s the issue here but just flag @support if you’re stuck.

1 Like

Hello Mike,

thanks for your response. As I already mentioned, I copied the XML files to the watched folder and forced a rescan - it didn’t help. Any other suggestions? @support

best regards
Lukas

Hi @Lukas_Linek ---- Thank you for the follow up and my sincere apologies for the wait here.

Moving forward, I wanted to touch base with you and see if any progress or new observations have been made since your last post. Furthermore, it sounds like you may have two iTunes XMLs in your watch folder, is this indeed the case?

-Eric

Hello Eric,

thanks for your help. No problems with the waiting time - you guys are doing a great job and I know that some problems take way longer to solve than others.

Concernig the XML files: Actually there is only one XML file which is watched. I tried watching two (e.g. when I moved / copied the XML file to the D: drive) - it didn’t work. Actually I’m quite hopeless about a solution. I tried all troubleshootings, none of them worked.

Hi @Lukas_Linek ---- Thank you for touching base with me, your understanding is very appreciated!

Moving forward, I have went ahead and enabled diagnostics on your account and the next time you core machine is online we have an automated diagnostics report containing logs upload to our servers so we can have a closer look into this behavior for you.

Furthermore, would it be possible for you to share a copy of your iTunes XML via a “shared” dropbox link addressed to me in a PM?

-Eric

1 Like

Hello Eric,

thanks again for your help offer. I don’t know why, maybe I’m stupid, but I can’t find an option for “writing personal messages”. I was looking now for a while, neither can I find it in the “messages”, neither can I write you via your personal profile. I would just post a Wetransfer-Link in this post, if it’s ok?

Here’s the link: https://we.tl/4UHLQTGfml

Ok @Eric, I wasn’t even a “basic” user, so it wasn’t my fault at all :smiley: Now I’ve reached basic user level so I can send you messages :slight_smile: You still need the link?

Hi @Lukas_Linek ----- Thank you for the follow up, confirming that I have received the requested materials. I appreciate you taking the time to send that over to me.

I took a look at the provided XML and the paths see correct, which is good. I also had a chance to look over the diagnostics report we received from your system and I am seeing the following traces:

As you can see we are not ignoring your playlists:

11/01 20:58:41 Debug: Begin queuing fs events, ignoreitunes: False, ignoreplaylists: False

However, we are looking at your iTunes XML in the “C:” drive:

11/01 20:58:41 Debug: [storage/directory] found itunes file: C:\Users\Lukas\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml

Moving forward, may I very kindly ask you for the following:

• A copy of one of the mentioned playlists that are not appearing in the application.

• Please verify that the XML located on the “D:” is updating as expected.

• My assumption that the answer to this question will be, “yes” but please due confirm that the content that make up the playlists (just a few songs) are imported and available in Roon.

-Eric

Hello again Eric, thank you very much for your quick responses - I really appreciate your work!
First of all, the XML on D: doesn’t update. I don’t know how to make that happen. The one on C: is updating and constantly syncing, but the on D: must be updated manually. Is there even an option in iTunes to make two XML files which are updating?

Hi @Lukas_Linek ----- Thank you for the follow up, a few things moving forward.

I would definitely like to take a look at one of the mentioned iTunes playlist that are not showing up in the application. Would you be able to provide me with one?

Furthermore, I want to understand your use of iTunes with Roon. Are you actively using iTunes and need your Roon library to reflect the changes made to iTunes when they are performed? Having this information will help me guide you better in terms of tweaking your setup.

Let’s tackle the playlists first though :sunglasses:
-Eric

Hello @Eric, thank you again for your quick repsonse!

I uploaded one of my iTunes playlists again at wetransfer. Here is the link: https://we.tl/UvddTNrGuX

First of all, I exported the iTunes Playlist from iTunes via XML file (i could choose between plain .txt, .xml, or .m3u.) Also, I saved the exported file in the location which iTunes suggested. Maybe it will help?

Concerning my iTunes usage: I’m using more iTunes for creating playlists, rating songs (I have some “intelligent playlists”), syncing my iOS devices. Also, many customers of my Shop are more into iTunes than Roon. I’m using Roon primarly for showing my customers “perfect digital playback”, in most cases with my Naim Audio Setup.

I hope I could help.

best regards - have a nice evening!
-Lukas :slight_smile:

Hi @Lukas_Linek ----- Thank you for you for the upload and more more importantly, thank you for your patience while we have been discussing what the “next steps” should be here in addressing this issue you are experiencing.

'Moving forward, I would like to propose the following to see if we can trigger a change in behavior with your iTunes generated playlists. Please see below for instructions:

1. Before you do any thing I would like you to please create the following backups:

• Roon DataBase.

• iTunes DataBase.

• Musical collection.

WITHOUT ROON OR iTUNES RUNNING…

1. In your Music folder, find the folder called “iTunes”

2. Copy this to the folder where you keep your music.

3. Using the instructions found here, select the the “new” iTunes library.

4. Launch Roon and force a rescan of the watch folder.

-Eric

Hello @Eric, thank you again for your help. I was this time very eager to do it as quick as possible to hand you over some feedback - Sadly, it didn’t work. I did all your mentioned steps, it didn’t work - also, I tried to erase my whole library in Roon and to import everything back from D: - again no playlists were added.

Do you have some other ideas? Does it help to mention that I have two physical Hard Disc drives? C: is a SSD, D: is a SHDD.

Status quo: I did a rollback and all my Settings are like before - so my iTunes XML is on C:, my Music is on D:\Music
I’m currently listening to music via iTunes.

Thanks for getting back to me @Lukas_Linek, I am sorry to hear that he proposed troubleshooting test did not yield a positive result :sweat::head_bandage:

Moving forward, with this current configuration (i.e so my iTunes XML is on C:, my Music is on D:\Music), Roon as you are aware, will not be able to resolve the paths as we require the “iTunes.xml” to be in the same watched folder as the media that comprises it.

Because Roon requires the XML be stored with the files, I’m going to focus on that configuration and see if we can get that working for you.

A couple questions so we can move forward here:

• The playlists you are trying to access in Roon, are they comprised of a single full album OR are they a mixture of different tracks from various albums? I’m asking because Roon automatically filters out playlists that are exact matches for an album in your library.

• Please confirm that the XML you provided me is the same one you moved over to the D drive.

• Please confirm the exact path you moved to the XML to on the D drive

• Pick one song that you know is on a playlist (that is not importing) but is appearing in Roon and provide me a screenshot of the file’s path. Example below:

-Eric

Hello Eric, thank you again for your help. I will answer your questions as precice as possible.

The Playlists are made up of different songs. Different albums, different genres, different bitrates, etc. But all have one in common: They all have ratings. E.g. there is one Playlist called: “80’s Pop” - it contains all my 5-stars rated 80’s pop songs. But there are also custom made playlists, they also do not appear in roon.

I just copy & pasted a new XML in D:\Music\ and it is the same which iTunes is currently using. No matter where I copy it, No matter which library iTunes chooses, no changes in Roon. (Even after forced REscan)

As mentioned before - I tried all meaningful possiblities on D:
I tried:

• D:\
  • D:\Music
  • D:\iTunes
  • D:\Music\iTunes
  • D:\Music\iTunes\playlists

There you go @Eric :slight_smile:

Ok Guys, especially @Eric - I don’t know what just happened, but after closing and restarting Roon suddenly all my Playlists showed up in Roon. I have no Explanation for that. Only thing I did was “unchecking” the import other playlist Checkbox. I forced a Rescan, then suddenly they appeared. Now I checked the box again and they stayed inside the playlist section. Don’t know what happened. I did it a few times before, nothing changed. Suddenly it worked. It’s like a mystery to me.

Wow.

Thanks for getting back to me @Lukas_Linek and sharing the above observation. The feedback is appreciated!

Happy listening!
-Eric

This topic was automatically closed after 31 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.